Search Unity

Personal License for Prototypes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InitusInteractive, Aug 23, 2019.

1. InitusInteractive

InitusInteractive

Hi there, are there any free options for companies that make over 200k annually wehre they can try Unity3D for non-production, non-commercial, proof of concept work?

thanks

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

AFAIK you can request a trial key from Unity support. What are you doing if you think its not business related and should be free? even proof of concept work is pretty much always business related unless you are evaluating software or services.

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

As @Ostwind pointed out, you can contact Unity to see if they have any options. But, really if you doing it for company it is commercial use. It may not be a commercial product, but you would be using it as tool to the benefit of the business.

RecursiveFrog likes this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unfortunately no. I looked into it at one stage to try and sell my company on using Unity for some 3D visualization stuff. I didn't go as far as contacting support.

Basically its hard to sell a 3D visualization tool to a company outside of traditional 3D visualization without first building something in it that they would use. Its a chicken egg problem, you can't convince the company to buy something until they can see something built in Unity. But you can't build anything in Unity until you have bought Unity.

Unity's pro licensing pricing is a hard sell for an unknown.

Honestly, this is the one section where Unreal's pricing might do better for you. Unreal's licensing basically means products given away for free or used internally don't cost any money.

If you prefer Unity (which is safe to assume since you are asking here), you can even do a bait and switch. Build the proof of concept in Unreal, then switch over to Unity once you have stakeholder buy in and funding.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yeah I know. However even if you are attempting to sell something you are essentially using it for your business. It does not matter if it results in a sale or a contract.

6. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yes, please contact us to discuss - Support is one option, but really you need to talk to the salesperson for your region, which you can do using this form.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I suspect the typical approach taken with Unity is a minor violation of the license. Create demo or example tool with Unity Personal, sell the company on Unity, company buys Pro licenses to continue using it. I'm not suggesting this, but I know how selling higher ups on expensive licensing usually works.

8. InitusInteractive

InitusInteractive

thank you, everyone, for your responses and time taken to give feedback, much appreciated.