Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

Personal edition vs pro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomnnn, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiggus

tiggus

Indie Edition is much more positive I agree, Unity make it so!

Grafos likes this.
  2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Here's what you are missing...

Unity 3 & 4:
    * Unity Pro : pay $1500 (or $600 upgrade) - gives you all of the pro features that don't exist in the free version (including customizable splash screen on standalone)
    * iOS Pro : pay $1500 (or $600 upgrade) - gives you pro features that don't exist in free version like linking DLLs (including customizable splash screen on iOS)
    * Android Pro : pay $1500 (or $600 upgrade) - gives you pro features that don't exist in free version the same as iOS pro (including customizable splash screen on Android)

Unity 5:
    Personal edition : 0$ - get all of the features of the game engine (but you have a splash screen)
    Professional edition : $1500 (or $600 upgrade) - all of the game engine features + lots of nice non engine related services and benefits (including customizable splash screen on standalone)

iOS Pro : $1500 (or $600 upgrade) - the only thing you get for the price is a customizable splash screen
    Android Pro : $1500 (or $600 upgrade) - the only thing you get for the price is a customizable splash screen

So I have Unity 5 Pro; I get access to all the extra stuff for Pro which is great. But if I build to iOS or Android, I get a splash screen saying "Personal Edition". To remove those 2 words I have to pay $600 for iOS and $600 for Android. I get no other benefits for that $1200.

3. HemiMG

HemiMG

I think the thing about the splash screen is that we all have different takes on what "personal" means. I'm in the camp that thinks it sounds negative, because when I think of a "personal" edition of a software, I think of software that isn't meant to be used commercially. Like Maya PLE. When I see "Personal Edition" written on a piece of software, I think of it as a watermark to stop users of the personal edition from using it commercially. Therefore, releasing software with "Personal Edition" on it will make me feel shady. But since I don't have the $1500 for pro, I'm not going to complain too much about feeling shady. Still, if I were UT, I wouldn't be surprised if a few people emailed me telling me that developers are illegally using the "personal edition" commercially when their thought process turns out to be the same as mine.

4. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

No, thanks for writing that, but that wasn't what I meant.

I meant the appearance of the splash-screen for Android builds *looks* exactly as it did in 4.6 indie edition.

People in here are complaining about the "Personal Edition" text being added to the splash-screen, but what I'm saying is that the splash-screen for Android Personal Edition builds doesn't have the added text or animation but rather looks as it did in 4.6 Indie builds for Android.

5. TwiiK

TwiiK

I think it's amusing that the only feature I'm considering sticking with pro for is the dark skin. I don't care about anything else.

The light skin looked good up until Unity changed the editor font. I think it was with version 3 or some sub version of 3. The font has been super fuzzy on Windows in the light skin ever since. The dark skin doesn't have that problem.

I haven't checked on Mac so I wouldn't know how it is there. Mac usually handles fonts better than Windows although after seeing that horrible Helvetica in Yosemite I'm not so sure. :p

protopop likes this.
  6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The font is fine on OS X. In light skin screenshots from Windows that people have posted, though, I don't see any fuzziness, just terrible kerning.

--Eric

7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@HemiMG People unfamiliar with Unity might definitely get that impression. Just distract those people with the fact that Blizzard used Unity for Hearthstone and their minds will be too blown to focus.

8. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

As you said 'Personal' means different things to different people. Quite honestly, I think the meaning of words changes and this move by Unity is likely to redefine 'Personal' for a lot of people.

9. TwiiK

TwiiK

Downloaded Unity on a mac here just to check and it looks a lot better with the default light skin. But I don't think the kerning is the problem on Windows. The font looks identical in both skins for me, but the dark skin seems to hide more of the font rendering artifacts so the font appears a lot smoother. In the light skin it looks very aliased.

But it doesn't matter. Aurore said pro users get a pro badge on the forums. If that isn't a killer feature then I don't know what is. It made me activate my license at least.

10. protopop

protopop

Me too:) I just switched to the light skin on Mac to see what it was like and i find it fuzzy and jarring. My dark skin (unity, not mine) is like a dimly lit room where i can spend hours toiling over gameobjects with minimal distractions.

I paid for Pro so I will probably keep it just in case there is something i am missing about the too-good-to-be-true benefits of using the Personal edition (even my android builds will have more features in PE than they did in Android Basic 4)

11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

i will definitely miss teh dark skin...

not sure what the deal with keeping that pro only is... guess you have to pay for something though

12. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@TwiiK if you overheat your graphics card and make it flip out, there's a chance your screen colors will invert, giving you a dark editor ;)

I know from experience playing D3 on a mac.

Well, I suppose someone had to make that joke.

protopop likes this.
  13. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Unity Technologies

I tested that earlier and plugins now work across both Edition.

Tomnnn likes this.
  14. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Unity Technologies

I noticed that as well and it seems lower resolution.

15. orb

orb

It's been more than half an hour since I last bought anything there, so I know I would if I went for a refund now.

16. Dunkelheit

Dunkelheit

I can admit that "Personal Edition" footnote bother me, however I can still use Unity free with all available resources is a HUGE change!!!

17. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I like that Pro and Personal (? I'm sorry, it just sounds like a feminine product if you know what I mean) are the same program. And Pro kicks in at a certain money-making level. That's it. What if Adobe had done that 15yrs ago? We wouldn't have felt guilty about pirating our first copy of photoshop. :rolleyes:

If I hadn't pre-bought I'd be jumping for joy. Now I am trying to figure my investment... Under the new rules I am simply not making the money limit, so I should really move down to "personal".

That Level11 is certainly NOT going to save me any money, it's going to COST me money.... and it only refreshes once a month. How many things can be free once a month?

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

I'm in the same boat. But the decision has just gotten harder as I read in another thread that you can't upgrade a Pro v4 project to Personal v5 as that would violate the license regarding mixing Pro assets and Personal assets.

I need to get that bit clarified again. I really can't believe what I was told.

19. Marionette

Marionette

just out of curiosity, why is that even in there; the 'personal' version text?

is that to give some sort of preferential credibility to pro users? isn't 'made with unity' sufficient? the implication being 'hey this dev made this game/demo/app/middleware on the cheap version'?

i have absolutely no problem with a splash screen, just one that implies, rightly or wrongly, that it's possibly sub-par due to the version used..

because folks *will* do that..

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I know exactly what you mean. I think they should ditch the whole personal and whatever and just put Unity under it.

Meceka, Xaron, RegularSlinky and 3 others like this.
  21. Marionette

Marionette

agreed

22. protopop

protopop

I vote for that too:) It's cleaner.

23. Voronoi

Voronoi

I disagree, I think "Personal Edition" strikes just the right note. It doesn't say "Free Edition", so not too harsh. But... OTOH it does let people know this was made with a personal or free version of the engine. To me, this is helpful in branding for Unity, in the rare instance that Unity might be used to create a less-than-professional game.

So, if a great game is created with the Personal Edition, the consumer might say - "Wow, that's so cool! Anybody can make a game!" If a crappy game is published, the consumer will say - "Of course, it's some kid using the Free Edition".

This is important in the marketplace, consumers (and developers influenced by them) need to somehow know what's going on with a free engine. Currently, UE does not have enough crappy games published to have experienced this negative aspect of offering a 'free' engine that can also create highly polished professional games. Once they do, people will cringe when the Unreal splash screen shows up!

angrypenguin likes this.
  24. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Woo! I feel a lot better now about the future of flailing my arms around in VR.

Maybe you can make a loophole by releasing a 'free' version of your assets.

There's also the chance people will misunderstand in an overly positive way.

Free version - the user paid nothing
    Pro version - the user paid for a license
    Personal version - the user has custom access / source code access since their copy is personal

:D

25. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

The whole "personal" thing is just WRONG. Do they not know any women? It is not just a random word. Personal means something pink and plastic that belongs in the bathroom.

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 9.25.07 PM.png

26. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@wetcircuit that's news to me. Maybe Anita Sarkeesian suggested that it would be a good way to make gaming a more woman-friendly?

27. Ryiah

Ryiah

There was a discussion a while back. It primarily centered around people sitting around in dark or nearly dark rooms.

28. Breyer

Breyer

Then why no 'indie' instead of 'personal'? 'indie' is used industry-wise (see allegorithmic, photon networking for instance both have indie tier). Im NOT against separate Unity version and pointing this to audience via splash screen for avoiding this kind of S*** when someone do bad game with free version but 'personal' is simply wrong and in software might leads to non-comfortable situation when ship commercial product where you might be considered as pirate... while in fact you arent

29. Ryiah

Ryiah

Likely to avoid confusion with older editions. They used 'Indie' in the past prior to 'Free'.

30. Breyer

Breyer

this was relatively long ago... really this is problem nowaday??? with all respect i simply cant get it...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  31. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I'm not aware of this. I know Unity Indie used to be a $200(?) license which eventually became Unity (Free). I don't believe the free version of Unity was ever called Unity Indie.

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

Exactly. Unity Indie lost the $200 price tag and became Unity Free. Other than pricing it was identical.

33. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

Among the other connotations people have brought up, "personal" also (by definition) implies a single person's work. It feels really petty to complain about the name when they opened up all the features--but the more I think about it, the more I dislike the thought of having that as the first thing people see.

34. Breyer

Breyer

for me they could keep 'personal' on sites etc. this things happened already cuz and this makes sense in context what @sinisterCookie said... but as far as i know noone shipped game with 'personal' splash screen so this still could be fixed... dont get me wrong if nothing happen to this i wont be crying considering what else i got but i would be glad to be sure that this splash screen dont misguide my any future potential customer (pirating etc.)....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  35. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Sorry, I misread a word in your post making it "They used 'Indie' in the past to refer to 'Free'."

36. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Works for me. :) Though, admittedly, that's with consideration for only my current set of hobby projects.

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

Sometimes I'll switch how I'm wording things in a sentence and forget to correct the remainder. :p

38. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

What about Unity Personal deploying to Xbox One, PS4 and WiiU? Will the splash screen be on or off?

39. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't think you can deploy to those platforms with Personal, in so far as if you've got access to the platform (ie: a dev kit) then you've already got access to Unity Pro along with that thanks to partnerships between Unity and the platform vendors.

40. orb

orb

I noticed the XBone build option isn't ghosted, just missing a player module, while all the other consoles are not available for my licence. Could be something happening with the often-rumoured every-console-is-a-dev-device switchover, and Pro not being required.

41. knr_

knr_

I actually like the the Splash Screen. To me it is saying, "yeah, I built THAT with something that didn't cost me anything... and if I can build THAT with something I downloaded for FREE, then imagine what YOU can DO if you go download it YOURSELF."

angrypenguin likes this.
  42. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

First there were no shadows, then there were hard, now full shadows and a lot more. Thanks Unity. Personally I'll be making full use of the available.

43. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I suspect that's what some people don't like about it. It removes any potential veil of exclusivity.

44. Ryiah

Ryiah

I was under the impression it was more that badly made games could end up with the logo. Casting a negative public impression on the quality of Unity games.

45. elmar1028

elmar1028

I heard that you can't use Personal Edition of you have a team of more than one. Is that true?

46. HemiMG

HemiMG

I'm not sure that's the kind of customer Unity should want though. Mainly because they'll never become a customer. They'll see a cool game made by a professional (using the personal edition doesn't change the meaning of that word), and they'll suddenly think that makes them a professional game developer too. So they'll come here, ignore the learn section, scroll past the scripting section, and ask in the discussion section how an "if-then-else" statement works. Then they'll ask a half a dozen more basic questions, get frustrated, and never use Unity again.

47. HemiMG

HemiMG

I doubt it, since several Unity employees have shared in @Teila's excitement that her family can now use the once pro features.

Edit: Although, that would fit the meaning of the word personal, which just adds to the confusion.

48. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

On one hand that makes sense, on the other It's exactly the kind of customer they claim they want, what with all the democratization talk. It's a bit of a balancing act, too. Sure, the majority of customers will do something like you describe and never result in any money changing hands, but that's just a "wide sales funnel" like in any other business.

49. HemiMG

HemiMG

Clearly the fact that I have to use the personal edition means that Unity knows more about running a business than me. But I'm not convinced that a wides sales funnel is all that beneficial for a niche product. And a game development engine will always be a niche product due to the skill required to use it successfully. When you add in the fact that any new users now have to make $100k a year before they even become customers, I'm just not convinced the wide net strategy will result in a significant increase in sales.

50. knr_

knr_

Apple gave Macs away for free to schools across the United States... as those kids grew up a lot of them bought a Mac for their home because its what they used at school when they were growing up.

Unity is currently engaged in a battle for market share - which means you want to expose your technology first to as many people who may be interested in using it, or who haven't thought about using it but you know if you get their attention for a few minutes they will become interested in using it.

I have to say John did a heck of a job in this recent battle bringing in the former CEO of Epic Games to promote Unity 5 at the live announcement yesterday - I couldn't stop laughing. Well done John, well done. I'm still chuckling over it. Bring in the former CEO of the competition to promote your product - brilliant :). +1,000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity