Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Personal edition vs pro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomnnn, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I only went after pro because of the feature restriction on previous licenses. I actually prefer the Unity splash screen in my games because I'm not ashamed of using the engine :p With that in mind, I'm definitely one of those people waiting for the refund page to... not be broken.

Am I the only one who was maintaining a pro license for a reason like this?

(I could also make use of that money because I just graduated from college in 'Murica and I owe ~$26,000 for that piece of paper that says I can do the things I already could before college)

--edit

Refund processed in 12 hours. That was fast :eek:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

but the pro ui skin though, your eyes will be bleeding.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're likely already damaging your eyes with poor lighting conditions.

4. TwiiK

TwiiK

Way to stay on topic.

It seems to me that the pro version really is meant for pro users now. Most of the features seem to be new and most of them you only need if you're actually selling games or working with teams.

I've been a pro user for a couple of years now, but I haven't earned a cent with Unity yet. It's always just been a hobby. Not sure if I'll stick with pro or not. I could do it just to separate myself from the plebs I guess. :D

5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Pff. Unity is a great tool, but I use it primarily as a cross platform 3D engine. Most of the work gets done in mono, with the dark skin there. Also, I grew up in this age of staring at a screen up 6+ hours at a time and I was born with only 1 good eye! In over 10 years of staring, my left eye remains 20/20. And my right eye remains an incorrectly shaped blur.

I never understood this. My mac and windows laptop both have brightness settings for backlit keys and the screen. Maybe if I had less monstrous genetics, I would understand the pain of looking at things in a poorly lit setting.

and if you're in a team, your version of [insert game engine name here] will either be an in house engine or provided by the company so you can be part of the team. And if you're an indie then you're probably not making $100,000+ annually.

I am also cent-less in my unity ventures :D I understand the pleb thing, but right now I am worth NEGATIVE $26,000 to the USA, so I can't afford to be a true citizen of the PC master race.

My only concern is... will I be able to use the sixense stem in unity free?

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

The goal with Personal / Professional is to offer the same base product to everyone... geting rid of the lcoked out features like RTT/Image effects/DLLs, etc, whatever from the Free/Personal version.

It's not confusing. It's all on the Product page. The features missing from the Personal version are clearly outlined. Just unhype and read it.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  7. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I pre-bought Pro for the rendering and graphic enhancements... I'm solo, so the team thing is probably cool but not for me.... I guess I have through April to figure out if I want a refund or not....

Oh, and all the reading between the lines suggests WebGL might eventually be a paid build (specifically they keep saying beta is free).

8. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That was my 1 concern. So the plugin/dll thing is free now too? Lol it's going to be interesting to see unity free games come to steam, then. Imagine with some of the junk that's on there already... now their costs to greenlight 'games' went from $1600 to $100.

9. LaneFox

LaneFox

Conversely imagine the underdogs that will make amazing stuff. Don't be a nanner.

10. TwiiK

TwiiK

One question. Can I activate Unity 5 pro now and still get a refund before May? To sample some of the new pro features. :p

Reading the feature comparison I'm struggling a bit with understanding what I actually lose out on by downgrading to the personal edition.

From my understanding I lose these features which has always been Pro features:
    - Customizable Splash Screen
    - Professional editor skin
    - Beta access

And all the rest are brand new features I didn't have with pro before anyway? I've certainly never heard of them before or used them. :p

Gigiwoo likes this.
  11. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I know, but that's inspirational and not funny. It was beyond me to say. I was thinking more of small companies like... digital homicide. Also, can you confirm the plugin thing? I'm just... I don't wanna cancel and then have any doubts :D Maybe inviting a forum mod would be useful to people like myself who are in an unreasonable panic hype and can't no logic brain correct.

That's what I gather too from what I've read. Yay, the thread is useful!

Please see attached image for giggles regarding DigitalHomicide.

Attached Files:

• dh.png
      dh.png
      File size:
      663.8 KB
      Views:
  12. movra

movra

Also

- Cloud Build Pro for 12 months, but there's also a free tier
    - Analytics Pro, but there will be a free tier after the beta
    - Game Performance Reporting
    - Asset Store Level 11, but you can subscribe for $19 a month

Seems there are not a lot of reasons to buy Pro for features and services anymore.

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It seems most monitors these days have brightness set to "supernova" by default (probably because it "looks better" in stores), and then people complain about lighter colors rather than calibrate the monitor and reduce the brightness to a sane level. I've used Pro for years with the light skin, since I prefer how it looks and it doesn't hurt my eyes in the slightest.

--Eric

ramand, Teila and Tomnnn like this.
  14. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Ah, you! You're one of the most knowledgable forum-goers I know! Good to have you here! Can you confirm that the Unity personal edition can do plugin-type stuff now like Steam and products like oculus and sixense?

Regarding screen brightness, my mom is one of those people who doesn't turn it down then tells everyone else to be sure to be in a properly lit room when using the technologicals.

jashan likes this.
  15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I don't know anything more about that than any other user. Sorry.

--Eric

jashan likes this.
  16. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

so just to clarify, you get the pro features on devices as well now?

17. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Unity Personal has all of the same engine features as Unity Pro - including plugins.

18. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Hadn't even considered that. Definitely important also.

I want that to be the case... I'll wait a few days before going ahead with getting the refund. Or a few minutes, if we reach some kind of consensus on this. The sixense stem is arriving sometime between mid March and the end of time, I don't want to be unable to use it...

19. tswalk

tswalk

yes, but with the splash screen... even for pro, unless you buy the ridiculous added license for iOS/Android.

20. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Maybe one day they'll go Epic's way with licensing. Free everything, but with a minor success tax.

If we could get this settled, the only difference in the engines would be whether you prefer C# or C++.

21. tswalk

tswalk

I would have to agree to a degree.

22. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

can I have the splash screen, without the text, using Unity pro?
    [new splash looks awesome :D]

23. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

That's my take. Plus, as I have iOS Pro, and Android Free, I already don't have a splash screen for half my builds.
    Gigi

24. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Obviously there are other differences xP but with unreal's new UI tools and Unity's integration of PBR shading, what are the major engine differences for indie developers? The only difference talked about at NJIT is that you need a machine significantly more powerful than a toaster oven to run Unreal.

25. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I think it's reasonable to seek a refund if the offering doesn't suit you. It is really good of Unity to offer it at all. Obviously they'd prefer people don't refund but their continuation of `putting people ahead of profit` sends all kinds of positive vibes my way and I really do appreciate the company for that.

One thing I don't like is the stigma, or the overbearing sense of judgement from some people, that getting the refund is wrong or shameful or guilty or like you're ditching your favorite team or being antisocial or defecting or something. That's all ego nonsense.

For me also, same boat, I could not buy Unity Pro for a very long time and wanted it only for access to a specific subset of features, most of which are not 3D, and the elements offered in the `new pro` license do not include any of the reasons why I finally bought a license. The main selling points originally for me were the profiler, render textures, maybe some image effects, and a few performance improvements. These are now all in the Personal edition, plus I only just bought the license like 2 weeks ago... if that matters (emotionally, maybe). So I'm probably going to seek a refund also, guilt-free. I'm probably not by any means going to be the only one to do so, and I expect many people will do so for much less `justified` reasons, like "oh you ripped me off" "I only just bought it last week" "pro is crap" or whatever else, lol

I'm fairly okay with the splash screen too... it's not unpleasant, something to be proud of perhaps. I think if my first Unity game makes several thousand $$ then I would look again at purchasing the pro license... but I'm not sure at this point it offers any features I want or can use.

26. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

I imagine a lot of people will spend at least some of that refund in the Asset store.

TrentSterling and Teila like this.
  27. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I can live with that.

A nicer logo screen would be sweet though. Bigger logo perhaps.

28. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Agreed... there are other uses for at least some portion of $1500 when you are a really small developer.

Teila likes this.
  29. movra

movra

Such as growth hormone.

30. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

lol. Maybe Unity should put something like "Yes, we'll still love you if you get a refund" ... on the refund page ;-)

jashan and R-Lindsay like this.
  31. DaneC020

DaneC020

I really hope they let those of us who prepaid for Unity5 pro get a refund. I actually like a using Unity splash screen on things I build. That being said there is very little reason to own a pro license for me.

Dane

32. LaneFox

LaneFox

The Blacksmith will tear the bones out of your corpse and build a haunted bone-mask out of it if you request a refund.

wetcircuit likes this.
  33. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

I would like to get really excited about the announcement but just one thing has put a damper on it for me: having "Personal Edition" in the splash screen.

If it was just "Made with Unity" I would slap that sucker on there at startup with no problem. But that "Personal Edition" just aggravates me.

34. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Yes you can get a refund. It's in the FAQ.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  35. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

lol, yeah just saw that splash in another thread... personal edition tagline is a bit s***

whats wrong with "Powered by Unity"

36. tswalk

tswalk

I'm ok with it.. but, those with Pro license when building for iOS/Android shouldn't get tagged as "personal edition", perhaps "profressional edition".

I guess it doesn't matter.

37. LaneFox

LaneFox

Personal Edition is Personal Edition. I think the watermark splash screen is spot on.

If you expect to make money and be taken seriously on the market, maybe you should consider buying a license of the game engine you're using to do so.

38. Breyer

Breyer

If they really need this line "Personal Edition" included then i think better idea would be 'Indie Edition' as someone suggested this... at first glance difference is marginal but have huge in meaning 'indie' generally is positive while 'Personal' is negative...

bigdaddy and tiggus like this.
  39. LaneFox

LaneFox

I think thats a fair assessment, however if Indie Edition was the splash and everyone was fine with it then why would they bother to move to a Pro version?

Seems to me that the goal was to completely remove the entry gate, throw all of the features at someone, and when they're ready they can get Pro and publish it per usual. Without that Splash screen saying Personal Edition there is pretty much zero incentive to buy Pro until you're forced to by exceeding the 100k profit mark.

Does no one wants to bother looking at things from Unity Tech's perspective? You know, the guys that threw their software suite at you for free?

40. ZJP

ZJP

Totaly agree.

41. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

If you have debt you want to make extra principal payments to get out of that as fast as possible. If that means to use free software and take a bus for now then do it.

42. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

$1200 to remove 2 words from the splash screen? That's not democratization, that's blackmail.

arkon, orb and DanielVanches like this.
  43. Breyer

Breyer

44. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

hey hey now... its two words and a picture ;)

imaginaryhuman likes this.
  45. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

I LIKE the picture! I'm totally ok with a Unity splash screen. :)

46. Archania

Archania

Isn't it an animated picture too?

47. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

yes,yes it is.

carking1996 and jashan like this.
  48. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

The animation is cool. Most people will read the 'made with unity', maybe... a smaller percentage will read the 'personal edition'. It's sort of a footnote. It's not like the `personal edition` is jumping up and down with flashing colors. The ONLY part about it I don't prefer... is the way that 'personal edition' makes it sound like Unity is just a piece of software, which is far less glamorous and impressive, than it being a branding/image/platform/community .. it's sort of like revealing the guts of sourcecode to the user and hoping they will `like the gameplay` of it... but seriously, it's not a really big deal.

49. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

Maybe I'm completely missing something, but the splash-screen is exactly the same as before with Android builds. Is the new splash-screen only for desktop builds?

50. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I need to get my head out of the future. I will be graduating in May*

I'm going to live with my parents and put my entire salary into paying that off if need be. The less money the system makes on wasting 4 years of my life the better.

I don't mind the 'personal' thing in the splash screen. It implies at a glance that it's very few people who worked on the final product, so it's a great way to introduce a portfolio piece :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.