Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Persistent error: Assertion failed on expression:** 'VCCache::instance != NULL' unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by earhod, Jun 6, 2019.

1. earhod

earhod

I have a custom menu item in a Unity2019.1.5f1 project which shows/hides several objects (from hierarchy) and components (from inspectors). To hide objects/components I set their hideFlags property.
    ----------
    After I restart Unity, **with or without that script** existing in my assets, I got the following error when exiting play mode:
    ---> **Assertion failed on expression:** 'VCCache::instance != NULL' unity
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assertion failed on expression: 'VCCache::instance != NULL'
    2. UnityEditor.VersionControl.Provider:PromptAndCheckoutIfNeeded(String[], String, ChangeSet)
    3. UnityEditorInternal.VR.XRProjectSettings:Internal_SaveSettings() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/VREditor/Mono/XRPackageSettings.cs:101)
    4. UnityEditorInternal.VR.XRProjectSettings:OnDisable() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/VREditor/Mono/XRPackageSettings.cs:61)
    ----------
    The menu item function works as expected but every time if I exit playmode with objects/components hidden I got an error:
    ---> **Assertion failed on expression:** 'ptr->GetHideFlags() == m_RequiredHideFlags'
    ----------
    How can I solve this?

Waterlane and andrescuevas like this.
  2. Waterlane

Waterlane

I've also just got this error... no idea why atm.

earhod likes this.
  3. Waterlane

Waterlane

Hmm - Restarted again and message is gone (!?)

4. DrummerB

DrummerB

Same issue here. This is causing our unit tests to fail.

Code (csharp):
    1. Unhandled log message: '[Assert] Assertion failed on expression: 'VCCache::instance != NULL''. Use UnityEngine.TestTools.LogAssert.Expect
    2. UnityEditor.VersionControl.Provider:PromptAndCheckoutIfNeeded(String[], String, ChangeSet)
    3. UnityEditorInternal.VR.XRProjectSettings:Internal_SaveSettings() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/VREditor/Mono/XRPackageSettings.cs:101)
    4. UnityEditorInternal.VR.XRProjectSettings:OnDisable() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/VREditor/Mono/XRPackageSettings.cs:61)
    5. UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager:OpenScene(String, OpenSceneMode)
    6. MissingScriptDetector:FindInScenes(String[], MissingScript[]&) (at Assets/Editor/Editor Extensions/MissingScriptDetector.cs:157)
    7. MissingScriptDetector:FindInScenesInFolders(String[], MissingScript[]&) (at Assets/Editor/Editor Extensions/MissingScriptDetector.cs:109)
    8. MissingScriptDetector:FindInAllScenes(MissingScript[]&) (at Assets/Editor/Editor Extensions/MissingScriptDetector.cs:102)
    9. Tests.Editor.ProjectIntegrity:MissingScriptsInAnyScene() (at Assets/Tests/Editor/ProjectIntegrity.cs:25)
    10. System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
    11. NUnit.Framework.Internal.Reflect:InvokeMethod(MethodInfo, Object, Object[])
    12. NUnit.Framework.Internal.MethodWrapper:Invoke(Object, Object[])
    13. NUnit.Framework.Internal.Commands.TestMethodCommand:RunNonAsyncTestMethod(ITestExecutionContext)
    14. NUnit.Framework.Internal.Commands.TestMethodCommand:RunTestMethod(ITestExecutionContext)
    15. NUnit.Framework.Internal.Commands.TestMethodCommand:Execute(ITestExecutionContext)
    16. NUnit.Framework.Internal.Commands.TestActionCommand:Execute(ITestExecutionContext)
    17. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

5. DrummerB

DrummerB

I just tried running the same unit tests on all Unity versions from 2019.1.0 to 2019.1.6

I think it was introduced in 2019.1.3. In 2019.1.2 I don't get this error. After updating to 2019.1.3 I get the errors. Going back to 2019.1.2 fixes the errors again.

I'm passing the following arguments
    -projectPath "..." -batchmode -logFile -runTests -testPlatform "editmode" -testResults "...\TestResults.xml"

earhod likes this.
  6. thechrishawkins

thechrishawkins

So i was running into this issue as well. I deleted the "Assembly" files in my project folder. Unity repopulated them and everything is working fine now.

durukanozanalp and Waterlane like this.
  7. DrummerB

DrummerB

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this didn't fix the issue. Even after a completely clean checkout, I get this error with Unity 2019.1.3+

Waterlane likes this.
  8. DrummerB

DrummerB

It looks like the implementation of the method
    UnityEditorInternal.VR.XRProjectSettings.Internal_SaveSettings
    changed between versions 2019.1.2 and 2019.1.3. The new version has some kind of source control integration that fails.

9. Waterlane

Waterlane

For Ref - I'm using 2019.1.3

10. z3nth10n

z3nth10n

Same here, Unity 2019.1.5

earhod likes this.
  11. AlTheSlacker

AlTheSlacker

I'm seeing this error in 2019.1.6f1.

earhod likes this.
  12. mikamiga

mikamiga

I'm seeing this error in 2019.1.3f1

earhod likes this.
  13. earhod

earhod

I tried to do that but didn't fix the problem for me :(
    We should try to evoke a Unity insider but can't find the proper formula in my spell tome... Guess the only way to face this is to report the issue. :s

Waterlane likes this.
  14. DrummerB

DrummerB

15. ramtamir

ramtamir

I had this error in 2019.1.3. Opening in 1.4 seems to have fixed this issue, at least for now

16. AlTheSlacker

AlTheSlacker

I've just tried switching to 2019.1.7f1 and the problem has gone away. I've tried it a few times and not made any other changes, so hopefully this is a fix. I see from the release notes they had made some changes to the Version Control code, so perhaps this has also resolved this.

earhod likes this.
  17. jasonatkaruna

jasonatkaruna

Facing this issue in our cloud builds on version 2019.1.7f1

18. megabrobro

megabrobro

could it be anything to do with our GPU drivers? I am using Nvidia latest 'Studio' drivers (430.86). I've had this issue sporadically for the last 3 or 4 Unity versions i have tried (happens seemly randomly, then never goes away in that project.

19. whisp

whisp

Same here, i get this error frequently and then it persists until restarting Unity (2018.3.9f1).

20. durukanozanalp

durukanozanalp

Yes this solved my issue.

Waterlane likes this.
unityunity