Search Unity

Persistent bug - Audio Reverb Zone?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Recluse, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Recluse

Recluse

I've been experiencing this audio glitch for a long time (albeit occasionally) and now it's starting to bug me, as I have no idea what is causing it and need to deliver a demo for a client...

Here's an example:

I have a footsteps sound attached to my character controller which plays when I move. It's a 3D sound.

My environment contains a reverb zone to add some ambience to the dry footsteps. So far, so good - usually.

But on occasion - say every 5th or 6th play, only the reverb of the footsteps is heard (i.e. the dry signal is missing)

Stopping and running the scene again usually fixes this.

I don't know how this could be happening - as, to my knowledge it's not possible in Unity to have a sound muted, yet still sending to the reverb.

Can anyone offer an explanation?

k0rt4 likes this.
  2. s-m-k

s-m-k

3. k0rt4

k0rt4

I have the exact same problem my friend. Has someone solved this??

4. s-m-k

s-m-k

They overhauled the audio system in Unity 5, so the bug might be gone now, it didn't happen on 5 so far :).

5. SirBedlam

SirBedlam

I've had this problem for a very long time, and so far, I haven't able to find any solutions. Up until not too long ago the problem wasn't carrying over into the builds, but now it is. I'm using Unity 5 now and still having this problem, so sadly, it has not been fixed. My game is (finally) just about finished, but this little bug is going to be what ruins everything.

*EDIT*
    I copied my project onto a flash drive and tested it on a different computer (PC #2 for reference), and there were no reverb issues. This led me to believe it was simply my other computer, PC #1, messing up the audio from the game when I played it, and nothing more. But when I copied and tested an actual build of the game on PC #2 that I had created on PC #1, the problem was back.

This has led me to believe that while it really is just PC #1 that has a problem, it's actually 'baking' the problem into the builds it creates. I have no idea why.

Fortunately I have a secondary computer which is a bit slow, but good enough that I can transfer my finished project to and build it from there. However, I've come across several people now who have had this same problem, and not everyone has a secondary computer. Because of this, and because copying and transferring for each and every build is not an ideal solution for me, I think this needs further investigation. Nobody seems to know what's causing this problem, but it's a pretty serious road block for those who encounter it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  6. WaveMaster

WaveMaster

Hello, I'm having this same problem: my audio works 100 % perfectly... until I add Audio Reverb Zone and then my audio works about 50 % perfectly. I'm currently using Unity 5 but this problem already existed when I was using Unity 4.

7. Recluse

Recluse

I've encountered this issue on several machines, both OSX and Win. I've recently updated to Unity5 but haven't been able to check yet if the problem still persists, as my current project doesn't use Reverb Zones.

Here's a video clip of the bug, caught on camera last year in Unity 4 :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5i6s9mgzc7dvor/Reverb_Only_Bug_Unity.mov?dl=0

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  8. s-m-k

s-m-k

So yeah, happened again on Unity 5's build. The reverb part was heard, the sound itself not. Yay for still not being able do design sound reliably. It happens not so often as before though, but it still hurts.

BTW this bug will turn 2 this year.

9. Recluse

Recluse

I'll raise it as an issue with UT. Even though it's not consistent or reproducible I think there's enough evidence now that this is a serious issue that needs looking into.

10. evand

evand

I'm having this exact same issue.

Occasionally a sound just won't play, or will play incredibly quiet -- but this only occurs when a reverb zone is present. The sounds sometimes won't play even when they aren't in the reverb zone range!

If someone from Unity is able to look at this I can send them a copy of a scene with this bug.

11. Recluse

Recluse

Using the new AudioMixer asset in Unity 5.1 fixed the issues for me and I'd recommend adding one to your project.

Also, try tweaking settings in the import window - if your audio files are mono, change them to stereo.

12. lasercannon

lasercannon

Been having this issue for the last year or so. It seems to only happen around 1/100 times these days, but it usually happens with our VO during key story moments, which is... pretty bad. So far, I'm sure it happens on PC and Xbox One builds.

We are loading these sounds in through Resources.Load at the start of the scene. When the clip plays, we are setting the AudioSource.clip field and then calling AudioSource.Play(). Usually when this happens, the VO lines played right before and right after work fine (AudioListener/AudioSource stay in pretty much the same place).

We may have to take out all of our reverb zones because of this, which is very very frustrating. :(

13. lasercannon

lasercannon

Oh, and I am on version 5.2.1p3

14. ccburton

ccburton

Having the exact same issue here. Going to have to remove all reverb zones because of this bug. Makes the audio in builds very unreliable.

lasercannon likes this.
  15. s-m-k

s-m-k

I think that the best solution for now is to use third-party audio libraries like FMOD (which integrates with Unity pretty well) and not use Unity's built-in audio at all. I think I'll do that in my next projects (Unity's audio is still very limited anyway compared to FMOD tools).

16. lasercannon

lasercannon

I agree, but unfortunately we are really close to submission. Been looking into Wwise, FMOD and Fabric for our next game.

17. mrwogs

mrwogs

Bumping this as well, we are running into this in our project in Unity 5.3.4f1.

Just like the other users are experiencing with reverb zones, multiple sound sources, at random, will only play the reverb effect but not the actual sound source itself. Restarting Unity temporarily solves the problem but it can (and will) immediately crop back up.

This happens in the editor, and in stand-alone builds frequently.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  18. Recluse

Recluse

Are you using Unity's AudioMixer in your project? This was a common problem for me, but I have not encountered it since routing all audio into an AudioMixer in my scene, using one mixer group for reverb processing.

19. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

In our case, a reverb zone was causing unrelated 2D sounds to sometimes not be heard at all in builds (ex: Windows) but not in the Editor. They had no relation whatsoever to reverb zones and were supposed to start playing on scene load (play on awake). Volumes and play state were correct; they were simply not being heard.

We still don't know what this was, but we removed the reverb zone and the problem stopped. Unity 5.3.4f1

20. theotherstudio13

theotherstudio13

2021 and I can repro this bug 100% . For me only short sounds are problematic. Any sound longer than 250ms is fine.

To Repro
    • create a test scene with a camera , audio source and a reverb zone
    • create some method that plays the audio source or otherwise use 'play on awake'
    • create a very short test audio clip , less than 50ms
    • make sure the reverb zone is setup so it's obvious and loud enough to hear
    • hit play on the scene , play your test clip and observe
      • the test clip is not sent to the reverb at all but sometimes (totally random could be 3 in a row or 1 of 300) the test clip can only be heard in the reverb return and the original dry signal is not heard
    To Fix
    • add 250ms of silence to the end of the test clip so the total time is now 300 ms
    • re-import the test clip (unity usually handles this when you switch applications)
    • hit play on the scene . play your test clip
      • the test clip is correctly sent to the reverb and never appears to drop out

21. theotherstudio13

theotherstudio13

I had someone else validate this they were able to reproduce in Unity 2020 a version.

22. yunussevin

yunussevin

Hello, i solved the issue by changing Default Speaker Mode and DSP Buffer Size to Stereo and Best performance in Audio Settings. Previous settings was Surround 5.1 and Good Latency. Hope this helps.
    upload_2023-1-8_21-36-32.png

Attached Files: