Search Unity

Permissions, OBB Downloader, Google Guidelines

Discussion in 'Android' started by AcidArrow, Jul 6, 2018.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

To sum up some information I've been gathering. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

-Google wants the permissions to be asked at runtime and with context provided before.

-OBB Downloader is still needed, because some devices are dumb, or Google Play sometimes messes up.

-The OBB downloader, needs READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE which may, or may not be auto granted in some devices and also WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, which has a super scary prompt for no reason at all (or I guess, a Google developer must have wanted to troll us), because Android is a buggy OS. These permissions should be granted before Unity launches.

-Unity devs refuse to provide a permissions solution (as the manual proudly declares: "Unity does not support the Runtime Permission System"), because permissions are dumb and OBB are dumb (and they are, but... come on guys, what are you doing? Are you taking some sort of stand on the expense of your users?).

And unless I am missing something, all the above result in:

There's really no way to properly adhere to Google's guidelines about permissions, without relying on semi-official-not-really-supported plugins and silly hacks, and navigating through so many gotchas it's insane.

Did someone on Unity and/or Google decide that this is the litmus test to see which developers really care about their Google Play port of their game?

2. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

3. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

5. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies