Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved PerformInteractiveBinding(0) Not Working

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by michaelpynes, Dec 28, 2021.

1. michaelpynes

michaelpynes

I have a button with a script that contains an Action Reference.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [SerializeField] private InputActionReference actionToRebind;
    2.     private InputActionRebindingExtensions.RebindingOperation rebindOperation;
    4.     public TextMeshProUGUI KeyBindButton;
    5.     public void RemapButtonClicked()
    6.     {
    7.         actionToRebind.action.Disable();
    8.         rebindOperation = actionToRebind.action.PerformInteractiveRebinding(0).WithControlsExcluding("Mouse").WithCancelingThrough("<Keyboard>/escape").OnMatchWaitForAnother(0.2f).Start()
    9.         .OnCancel(operation =>
    10.         {
    11.             actionToRebind.action.Enable();
    12.         })
    13.         .OnComplete(operation =>
    14.         {
    15.             //SetPref(prefs, actionToRebind.action.GetBindingDisplayString(0));
    16.             actionToRebind.action.Enable();
    17.             KeyBindButton.text = "[" + actionToRebind.action.GetBindingDisplayString(0).ToUpper() + "]";
    18.         });
    20.     }
    This is the entire script. I know it is completing the OnComplete Method because the KeyBindButton.text is being changed to the name of the key that I press. But, it just isn't actually changing the action in the Action Map.

2. Serge_Billault

Serge_Billault

This thread belongs to the Input System forum (https://forum.unity.com/forums/input-system.103/), and not really to the scipting forum.

For one thing, if your rebindOperation reference is intended to be reseted with each call to RemapButtonClicked() you should not forget to call rebindOperation.Dispose() and set rebindOperation to null in the onCancel and onComplete callabacks.

For another, if you have more than one action map, you didnt tell us if you checked that it is the correct one that was affected.

Then, you are passing a hard coded binding index of '0' to PerformInteractiveRebinding(), and you didnt tell us if you checked that it was the correct binding index for that action that might have more than one binding.

In other words you should provide more contextual infos to the people who will attempt to help you, like for exemple pictures of your action map/all your action maps, fully folded out, and circle the binding you are trying to change in your action map/one of these action maps.

3. michaelpynes

michaelpynes

Alright, the hard 0 in the binding index is so that I can easily check for the only input in the action, and I am only using one action map. I'm kind of new to the new input system so I'm not very good with it so far.

4. Serge_Billault

Serge_Billault

This should help people who will process your request to have a clearer view as to why it's not working for you.

5. michaelpynes

michaelpynes

Alright, thanks for the assistance and guidance.

6. michaelpynes

michaelpynes

Alright, everyone. I figured out what the issue was. I was subscribing to the methods that would be called by the button presses in the script itself. Instead, I used the Player Input component and put the functions into those methods instead. That is what made all the code finally work.