Search Unity

Performances : Layouts usage

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Sbizz, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Sbizz

Sbizz

Hey,

I was wondering if it was a good idea to use "often" Layouts component (Layout Element, Layout Horizontal & Layout Vertical) when we build our UI ?

I use it ALL the time, because it is easier to have everything placed where it has to be, automatically. But when I use the Profiler to see what components take a long time to do whatever it has to do, ScrollRect.LateUpdate (more precisely LayoutRebuilder.UnityEngine.UI.ICanvasElement.Rebuild) takes a lot of time when I active my windows.

For example, I have a panel that you can Active (or not) when you press a button. In this panel, there are 324 Layout Element, 74 Layout Vertical and 130 Layout Horizontal*. And here is the Profiler when the user actives the panel :

LayoutElements.jpg

* checked with this script :

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void OnEnable() {
    2.         CountNbLayouts();
    3.     }
    5.     void CountNbLayouts() {
    6.         LayoutElement[] layouts = transform.GetComponentsInChildren<LayoutElement>();
    7.         VerticalLayoutGroup[] layoutsV = transform.GetComponentsInChildren<VerticalLayoutGroup>();
    8.         HorizontalLayoutGroup[] layoutsH = transform.GetComponentsInChildren<HorizontalLayoutGroup>();
    10.         Debug.Log("L: " + layouts.Length + ", V: " + layoutsV.Length + ", H: " + layoutsH.Length);
    11.     }
    So.. ?

Sbizz.

2. iivo_k

iivo_k

I had a ScrollRect with lots of static contents instantiated from prefabs that didn't change size after creation, so I had a script disable all the layout elements after they're initially positioned. It helped some, since all the scrollable items didn't have to recalculate the layouts every frame anymore.

eses, Multithreaded_Games and blizzy like this.
  3. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

I use a decent number of kissLayout's, like in the Windows Desktop WebPlayer Demo, but thats for kissUI. Doesnt slow it down too much.

4. Mikea15

Mikea15

I'm having the exact same problem. This reduced my framerate on mobile devices from 60 to 30. its still good, but its unacceptable.

Has anyone found a way to fix this?

5. Multithreaded_Games

Multithreaded_Games

DUDE... I had to post here simply to let you know how amazing of a suggestion this was. This literally reduced my 23ms spikes to somewhere in the neighborhood of 8ms. I love you.