Search Unity

Resolved Performance tools for SRP?

Discussion in 'SRP Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by Deleted User, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

What are the scalability and performance tools which we can expect for SRP's in the coming years? Are basic tools like mesh simplifiers, impostors, HLOD (similar to unreal 5), shader texture baking, material and mesh merging, and texture atlas createor considered?? Even the gigaya team complained about these missing tools?

2. Anne_Daney

Anne_Daney

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Thank you for your question.
    We are actually about to update our public roadmap with new items.
    https://portal.productboard.com/8ufdwj59ehtmsvxenjumxo82/tabs/105-foundation

HLOD, 3D imposters and Automated LOD Generation are under consideration.
    I believe mesh simplifiers are what I call Automated LOD Generation. Am I correct in my assumptions?
    These features will take advantage of material and mesh merging.

We don't have Texture Atlas Creator in our roadmap yet. For information, you can add feedback even for features that are are not in the public roadmap. You will find more information in this forum post
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-check-roadmap-and-provide-feedback.1321341/

Could you give me more information about what you mean by shader texture baking?
    We understand this as baking out procedural shaders into textures. E.g., you set up a material in shader graph, using all sorts of nodes, and then you bake the output to a texture (or a stack e.g., normal, diffuse ...).
    Is it correct?

florianBrn and Deleted User like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, that's what I meant but more similar to what blender texture baking offers, important for mobile games to reduce the overhead of complex and heavy shaders especially procedurally generated textures
    Yes
    Texture atlas createor can help in reducing texture size by merging multiple textures into one and automatically adjusts mesh UVs according to the atlas, this can reduce drawcalls, memory usage and file size... This can be made a part of material meger and also a seperate tool

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2022
  4. dnach

dnach

Unity Technologies

To bake such procedurally generated textures, you could write an Editor script using Graphics.Blit that renders to an offscreen Render Target, and serialize the result into a texture. Or alternatively (albeit a bit more complex) utilize a compute shader for a similar purpose. Could this fit your need?

If you would like a simpler way to achieve this, it would be great if you could submit a request via the product request form that Anne shared above.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

6. Anne_Daney

Anne_Daney

Unity Technologies

graskovi and Deleted User like this.