Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance Regression between 2018.2 and 2018.3 beta for RaycastCommand

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by OFFICIAL_bryanw, Nov 29, 2018.

1. OFFICIAL_bryanw

OFFICIAL_bryanw

Hey All,

I have a simple project that schedules and times a large number of RaycastCommands against a giant terrain collider for benchmarking.

When updating to 2018.3 beta, I was expecting to see a ~2x performance increase but instead I am seeing a performance regression of about ~40%.

For example, it took 175ms on my machine for Unity 2018.2 and then 250ms on my machine for Unity 2018.3b

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Could you please submit a bug-report, as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/guide-to-beta-testing#tab-3

After you submitted the report, you receive a confirmation email with a Case number. Please post this bug-report Case number here (in this thread) for Unity staff to pick up.

3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yes, it would be very helpful if you could submit a bug report + reproduction project for this issue and reply in here with the issue ID.

4. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Hi Bryan,

Let me say that's totally not expected to see raycasts slower in 18.3. Like others said, please do send out your test project and we'll investigate. Thanks!

5. OFFICIAL_bryanw

OFFICIAL_bryanw

Hmm sorry for the alarm!

I made another project from scratch and it looks like I am seeing the faster queries now.. There was something strange going on with the initial one I was using.

yant and LeonhardP like this.