Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Performance optimizations for GameObjects

Discussion in 'Scripting Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by TieSKey, Feb 23, 2023.

1. TieSKey

TieSKey

Being the cynical individual I am, every time I see a graph showing how fast ECS can be, what I actually see is how unnecessarily(?) slow gameobjecs are.

I'm curious about what has been done in recent years and what is planned to optimize gameobject performance, both in terms of life cycle and in terms of rendering.

BSimonSweet likes this.
  2. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

I'm not aware of any specific development that have been done recently to improve the performance of GameObject. The goal of Entities (DOTS) was to fill this gap by providing a complete different approach.

I believe there is desire to bridge the gap between the two, but don't know the details about it. One thing that should help in the future is the migration to CoreCLR that should provide a great boost in terms of performance. As GameObjects are not GC friendly, it will hopefully run better with the CoreCLR GC... but ultimately, we have a huge amount of work to do to remove GC allocations in Unity (again, that was one of the goal of Entities/DOTS) beyond our the sole C#/.NET/Scripting group at Unity, completely agreed with that.

For the rendering part, I don't know as it is outside of our expertise (Scripting/C#/.NET)

saskenergy, Nad_B, NotaNaN and 2 others like this.