Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Performance Optimization Tips Roundtable

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TreyK-47, Nov 1, 2023.

1. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

upload_2023-11-1_15-14-37.png

Game development is full of roadblocks and risks, especially when shipping on multiple platforms and devices. Get tips and best practices from industry-leading experts on how to increase game performance on all types of devices, from low-end to high-end.

Join us on November 7 at 11:30 am ET / 8:30 am PT for a free webinar.
    Experts from Unity, Double Stallion Games (CONV/RGENCE: A League of Legends Story), and SYBO (Subway Surfers), will cover:
    • Overcoming performance issues
    • Maintaining an optimal target frame rate
    • Rebalancing rendering spikes
    • Reducing asset load time
    Register today: create.unity.com/performance-optimization-tips-roundtable

2. makaka-org

makaka-org

Thank you for creating such a Roundtable.

P.S. Feel free to check my additional materials about Performance Optimization.

nasos_333 likes this.
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, very interesting.

Also about VR on a mobile level hardware, the single most massive performance boost i saw was when disabled the Depth and Opaque textures creation in the URP pipeline, so I mention it in case anyone is stuck with very low VR performance, this can help a lot.

makaka-org likes this.
  4. reality_mirek

reality_mirek

Was this webinar recorded and if so can you please provide a link to watch it?

5. Feedback.

I'm glad Unity is doing these, it's always better to have more information, place to turn for info than not have enough.
    With that said, for me, it was a colossal waste of time. The same surface-level sound-bites were repeated we heard a million times. I understand that beginners need these too, but I, for one would be happy if there would be more serious events for people, who left the entry level already.
    And also would be great if you would label these events based on the expected level of seniority. So we know when to attend and when it is okay to skip.
    Obviously I'm not sure it's possible or even if there would be more than me alone in the audience, so everything I typed here is feedback, please consider it.

Again, I would like to encourage you to organize more and more events like these.

WolveX, Unifikation, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  6. xuyennguyen163

xuyennguyen163

Oh, I was regretful for missing it, but it seems that there is no need to be regretful. :p

7. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

8. It is not a predestined necessity, it is a choice. We attend to webinars not to be entertained (normally and usually), but to gain new information, learn new techniques. If they declare in advance what level of these we presumably can get we can make the educated decision to or not to attend.

JesOb and Ryiah like this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  10. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Eh.. you can't really go more in depth than those if you ask me, without the tips becoming so narrow that they are only useful for that particular project.
    There is no magic bullet for optimization. The task always requires to understand exactly where the performance is used up (aka what takes time) in your specific usecase.
    Therefore those books and presentations can only provide you the tools to do that, but not directly explain how to fix the problems in your particular project. You need to do that with your general programming knowledge.

11. mgear

mgear

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

You can very easily go more in depth than those e-books as they're missing important entries like not using animations to drive Unity UI (covered at the link below) which dirties the elements every frame even if the animation isn't changing anything.

https://unity.com/how-to/unity-ui-optimization-tips#optimal-use-animators-ui-elements

There are common optimizations for each game genre (FPS, RTS, etc) that you could touch on with focused books.

13. Antypodish, WolveX, JesOb and 2 others like this.