Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Performance on startup (local)

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by NVDaniel, Nov 3, 2020.

1. NVDaniel

NVDaniel

Could I get some understanding to what Accelerator is doing because from my perspective it’s working great, but equally I don’t understand why. We’ve suffered for the past 9 or so months with when Unity crashes (and let’s be honest - that can be quite often!) restarting takes around 9 to 11 minutes. Equally sometimes we find it’s best to just reimport the entire project so I decided to look at Accelerator and yeap great speeds up that process which is what I thought it was intended to do.

But it equally speeds up the entire “opening” of unity. It has gone from 11 minutes to less than 2 minutes to open our project. Even if I just have the Unity Accelerator installed locally and connect to it with no other machines in the group it does this fantastic speed up, but… why? Like if it’s possible to open unity in minutes why isn’t this the default? Or is there some bug here that is a factoring in that somehow Accelerator is superceeding?

Dan.

2. henriksc

henriksc

Unity Technologies

Glad to hear that you are at least seeing a big speed up :) But your case is interesting.

The asset pipeline will cache all the import results, both locally and on accelerator if connected. The flow is basically, when wanting to do an import it checks with the accelerator if an import has already been done. If it has, it will just download the import result rather than starting an actual import.

Now, after you've built up your library folder, you shouldn't see any subsequent imports when restarting Unity. But from what you are describing, that is actually when is happening, and therefore having the accelerator also helps here.

One reason as to why you might be seeing this could be because you have PostProcessors changing source assets and such.There could also be other project specific logic that could cause this.

If you could provide editor.log's from starting up Unity both with and without accelerator connected, and also when restarting Unity, then we can dig a little deeper into why this is happening for you.