Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Performance issues

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by JurjenBiewenga, Mar 20, 2020.

1. JurjenBiewenga

JurjenBiewenga

Hey,

A while back we converted a lot of our code to PM Packages and started hosting our own package registry, this seemed to work fine for a while however as our amount of packages and versions started growing the Package Manager started crawling to a halt. Opening the package manager started taking ages to show anything while freezing the editor.

I've identified a few areas that are taking a very long time to execute and most of them seem to lead back to `Package.LatestUpdate` this getter in particular does a lot of iterations over the versions and is called in methods that do even more iterating e.g. `PackageItem.RefreshVersions`.

Most of these issues come down to multiple layered linq queries while almost nothing is cached.

Please see attached images for more information.

I've also made a bug report with id: 1229270.

Kind regards,
    Jurjen Biewenga

Ps. special thanks to the profiler team for their amazing work being able to handle 100gb+ of data in the profiler.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    alexeyzakharov, MartinTilo and Timboc like this.
  2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Thanks again for bringing this up. Have you checked if this is still as bad in 2019.3? 2019.1 is no longer supported and supposedly newer versions have had changes in that part of the codebase.

3. JurjenBiewenga

JurjenBiewenga

Hey @MartinTilo,
    I just tested on several different versions. Seems like it is fixed somewhere between 2019.2 and 2019.3.
    Thanks again for your help.

Ps. Did I submit the bug report in 2019.1? I'm sure I tested everything on 2019.2.

MartinTilo likes this.