Search Unity

Bug Performance issues with Shadow Caster on Lights 2d with new Update

Discussion in '2D' started by Shinos_, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Shinos_

Shinos_

Hi, so in the last months i couldn't work on my project, and when i got back to it i had the insane idea to update Unity, and now whenever i am near some source of light the game stutter, i verified that this is due to the Shadow caster on my player, but the weird thing is that i changed nothing in this scene between the 2 updates and if i get a build from the same scene from a 2021 unity update it goes smoothly, this is driving me crazy:

Here you can see till minute 0:52 whenever i go near a light and out and in the cave it stutters, but when i disable the component the issue disappear, then at minute 1:10 you can see a build of the same scene in unity 2021.1.4f and the stutter even with the shadow caster isn't there

it is subtle but you can see that when i enter the cave and i'm near the light it literally drops frames and stutter forward

2. kennyy_

kennyy_

Unity Technologies

Hi @Shinos_, are you able to share your project and report this as a bug. That way we can better track this issue and start working on a fix.

3. Shinos_

Shinos_

Hi kenny, yes i am currently copying my project and deleting all the stuff you don't need to test this bug, i made a single scene with only the essential objects, there are the torches in here and the player, and you can see that this still happens, i know that the 2d lights and shadow casting is pretty hardware expensive, but this happens even if i have only 2 torches near, AND this didn't happen before in unity 2021.1.4f i didn't have even a single frame drop near a torch.
    Thank you, i'm uploading everything to the bug report right now