Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Performance issues with Shadow Caster on Lights 2d with new Update

Discussion in '2D' started by Shinos_, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Shinos_

Shinos_

Hi, so in the last months i couldn't work on my project, and when i got back to it i had the insane idea to update Unity, and now whenever i am near some source of light the game stutter, i verified that this is due to the Shadow caster on my player, but the weird thing is that i changed nothing in this scene between the 2 updates and if i get a build from the same scene from a 2021 unity update it goes smoothly, this is driving me crazy:

Here you can see till minute 0:52 whenever i go near a light and out and in the cave it stutters, but when i disable the component the issue disappear, then at minute 1:10 you can see a build of the same scene in unity 2021.1.4f and the stutter even with the shadow caster isn't there

it is subtle but you can see that when i enter the cave and i'm near the light it literally drops frames and stutter forward

2. kennyy_

kennyy_

Unity Technologies

Hi @Shinos_, are you able to share your project and report this as a bug. That way we can better track this issue and start working on a fix.

3. Shinos_

Shinos_

Hi kenny, yes i am currently copying my project and deleting all the stuff you don't need to test this bug, i made a single scene with only the essential objects, there are the torches in here and the player, and you can see that this still happens, i know that the 2d lights and shadow casting is pretty hardware expensive, but this happens even if i have only 2 torches near, AND this didn't happen before in unity 2021.1.4f i didn't have even a single frame drop near a torch.
    Thank you, i'm uploading everything to the bug report right now

unityunity