Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance issues with new version

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by deLord, Jan 27, 2019.

1. deLord

deLord

Hello

I just (had to, kinda) upgrade my Unity version from 5.4.2f2 (64-bit) to 2018.3.3f1.
    First of all: THANKS that Unity just deinstalled my old version without asking me, great!
    Second: now I have performance issues where there should be none and my Console has errors that havent been there before.
    The worst part is that now the game is unplayably slow. And we are talking 2D easy stuff here...
    This seems to be enhanced if I have an object in the scene selected.

Can anyone help?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Shorely likes this.
  2. deLord

deLord

Why is it that my Editor runs way slower when any object is selected? That looks like a bug/huge performance issue to me

Shorely and Lu4e like this.
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

For me Unity 2018.x installs on separate folder each, without touching previews version. Surely people have more than one old and new versions.

I suppose, you may need to dig for older installer.
    Or try 2017, as intermediate step.

Do you use 3rd party assets? Maybe these are less compatible. Generally there should be massive improvement, between old and new Unity.

4. deLord

deLord

Nothing to do with 3rd party assets, I use none.

5. mgear

mgear

i noticed this with large public array also, even though it was [hideininspector],
    only changing it to private (or internal) solved the selected object slowdown issue..

selected objects might have some gizmos being drawn also.

6. deLord

deLord

Just want to up this thread calling the Unity dev team:

When I select an object in the editor and if I am not in fullscreen mode, the game consumes WAY more CPU than it should and than it did in previous versions. If I select my Player object, my Windows Task Manager shows a 20-25% CPU load. If I select nothing or am in fullscreen mode, I never reach 20%. The problem is also not only the 5-10% CPU but the fact that my framerate drops unbearably low.
    Is this fixed in any version? When did this get introduced?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What does the profiler say the editor is burning all that CPU doing? Saying that when you click on some object produces an increase of some kind of CPU use doesn't actually tell Unity anything. Also, if you believe this to be a bug you should file a bug report. Telling the forum users doesn't mean someone else will bother to file your bug report.

Peter77 likes this.