Search Unity

Performance issues on 2020.3.12f1

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by zdolezal, Jul 19, 2021.

1. zdolezal

zdolezal

I am having 3 string tables for 14 languages, words: 6,943 and strings: 1,025

And I started to get the ridiculous UI waiting times and lags (~1-4s). The following one is extreme.
    The question is, can I expect a performance improvement in future versions or should I submit this as a bug?

upload_2021-7-19_23-57-34.png

I am on version 1.0.0-pre.9 - May 12, 2021
    Unity LTS 2020.3.12f1

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

When do you get these lags? We do have plans to improve Performance for the table editor, it does have a significant startup cost at the moment because it needs to calculate the size of each row. Having another sample project would be good to give us some extra metrics to test against so do please file a big report, it will also help us prioritise things if it's also a bug and not just something on our Todo list.

3. zdolezal

zdolezal

It happens whenever I want to add a new string for example. Or when I switch tables. Like nearly every action, the save also takes few seconds.

I am actually thinking of not maintaining new strings in unity anymore and do it through external tool and then import through script. Right now, it's on the edge of the usability for me. I started to hate moments when I need to put new string in :(.

I'll try to extract localization into newly created project to see whether it's same.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks. If you could file a bug report that would help us. One thing you could try doing is disabling the columns that you are not using by right clicking on the headers. You could also try adding entries through the LocalizedString inspector.

5. zdolezal

zdolezal

Lol, that's a smart idea! Thank you.
    Hopefully, I'll get to the bug report somewhere soon.

karl_jones likes this.