Search Unity

Resolved Performance Issues in Unity Editor on Ventura (2021.3.10f1)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TeorikDeli, Oct 27, 2022.

1. hexdecc

hexdecc

Hello guys,i have found a solution for it!

I just created new empty scene and I selected this scene for build only, after build cpu using decreased to %1 from %100 I cannot believe this.

vectorized-runner likes this.
  2. Havokki

Havokki

No difference for me. CPU usage was already below 20%, but the editor is still stuttering and extremely slow.

unity_i0JypQEvpU_GWQ likes this.
  3. xiaobin_drpanda

xiaobin_drpanda

do you guys have visual scripting? for my case, if the visual scripting window is open, it happens much faster.
    I had no lucky with any version of Unity. I doubt it comes from some Editor UI thingy. When I open the Visual Scripting window, it happens more faster.

chemicalcrux likes this.
  4. AW_GAMES

AW_GAMES

That's funny, all they need to do is launch Engine on Apple Silicon Mac and problem is visible immediately, lol

tea_n_cake likes this.
  5. AW_GAMES

AW_GAMES

No difference for me too. Editor is laggy and extreme slow even on empty fresh project... No matter which settings I have checked.

unity_i0JypQEvpU_GWQ likes this.
  6. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

The issue is not only on Apple Silicon, but also on Intel Macs. Apparently, nobody in Unity tests the Editor on beta OS (which is why Microsoft/Apple releases these betas); Apple released the first beta in June I think.

I feel like Unity used The Leviathan of Kratos on our production; I am very frustrated while using the Editor and I am working inefficiently.

AlejMC likes this.
  7. AW_GAMES

AW_GAMES

I think the problem could be with Metal 3, which was introduced in macOS Ventura. I was having same problems in several other applications like Substance Painter and Photoshop, but Adobe launched an update for macOS Ventura and they fixed this. In my opinion, there must be some rendering issues which are not optimized for new Metal iteration resulting in low performance of the Editor.

8. AW_GAMES

AW_GAMES

After some debugging and testing, I have performance problems only on URP and HDRP - can someone confirm that? Do you guys have good and stable performance on Built-in default renderer too?

9. ppixu

ppixu

Doesn't help adding an empty scene and building only that.

Lags on Built-in aswell.

Opening on intel (rosetta) editor didn't help either.

Only thing that helps for me is Reimport All. After that a project can work smoothly for couple of days even, but lag returns after crash / restart. Which is annoying as reimport takes 30minutes and freezes every other try.

AlejMC likes this.
  10. jasonwaltersxyz

jasonwaltersxyz

I spoke with Unity technical support. The issue is due to a change in macOS and they are actively working on a solution and well aware of how critical this is. I personally have been running Ventura on a M1 Mac since it was released and only just started having multiple issues this past week so I'm not sure this would have been discovered testing betas from months ago as others have suggested. Just need to be patient and if you are able, switch to another computer or try downgrading your OS.

11. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

Good News! :)
    Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 16.31.18.png

AitchJay, thelosev, echeg and 7 others like this.
  12. DannnyLe

DannnyLe

Same issue with my new m2 air. Hopefully there's a fix soon, really slowing down my productivity at work.

TomKowalczuk likes this.
  13. AitchJay

AitchJay

Same here. Apple M1 Pro 32G Ram + Unity 2022.1.13f1. It's almost impossible to work.

14. HG_China

HG_China

Could some Unity staff provide the ETA for this?

DannnyLe, echeg, hexdecc and 3 others like this.
  15. TomKowalczuk

TomKowalczuk

I don't think there is an eta

16. Arthur-OnChainStudios

Arthur-OnChainStudios

I have intel and was still seeing massive performance issues in the visual script graph. I took the plunge to downgrade back to Monterey and things are working correctly now. My buddy is on M1 and is having issues reverting to Monterey.

AlejMC, qkb666 and xiaobin_drpanda like this.
  17. Bernardo_Olafson

Bernardo_Olafson

Just dropped by to look for any doomsday threads after updating to Ventura before I update. Glad I dropped by. ;-) I guess I will wait a little before getting the new shiny macOS features on my intel macbook. Is someone able to narrow down what configurations are affected by this? All supported Unity versions on Intel and Silicon macs running Ventura?

Just reiterating the No. 1 rule when running MacOS. Never update to a new major MacOS version before checking the Unity forums first. :) Can save you a lot of trouble.

Question to the Unity Devs: I really value your hard work and passion, but issues like this raise the question, do you actually test your supported Unity versions when a new major MacOS version comes along? There is a beta available specifically for this purpose. Seems this happens in one form or the other with every major upgrade. Why let your customers always run into an open knife? Seems this is an issue which would have been quite easy to catch with some proper QA.

and BTW your public IssueTracker sucks. Simply searching for an issue id does not work. Hope you can convince someone internally to switch to a decent one.

18. SinanDik

SinanDik

19. Henningsson

Henningsson

Experiencing same issue. MacBook Pro 2020 (Intel)

20. AlejMC

AlejMC

Lucky you all, I got a new Mac a couple of days ago and it came with macOS Ventura (which was one of my fears). Not trying to downgrade yet, it's overpowered for what I'm doing and is just somewhat forcing through the lag. But a trusty M1 Pro 14" on macOS Monterey feels somewhat snappier when manipulating the editor with a lot less hardware resources available.

Following and confirming on the previous comments:
    - For those mentioning Visual Scripting: I use Amplify Shader Editor which the underlying visual graph engine/api must be the same, it lags and feels a lot slower when panning, scrolling, zooming and writing on a text field.
    - Render Pipeline: Built-in, same behavior. Hardly think this makes a difference.
    - Profiler on the Editor: same ones. AssetsCollectProfiles, GC.MarkDependencies, etc (normal profiling, not deep profiling in case that would make a difference).

Hope it's nothing too hard or massive deal breaking to fix! *crossing-fingers

xiaobin_drpanda and thelosev like this.
  21. helpmehelpyouhelpme

helpmehelpyouhelpme

if you have a large hard drive, make a big enough partition and install the old os to dual boot until there is a fix.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    AlejMC, xiaobin_drpanda and thelosev like this.
  22. FlosterGamesture

FlosterGamesture

Same issue here - commenting so that this thread grow larger and hopefully get's more attention soon.

DannnyLe and TeorikDeli like this.
  23. timgreenberg

timgreenberg

still waiting after a month, the editor is barely usable

AlejMC likes this.
  24. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

Ah, so at least I'm not going crazy here. Just started experiencing this after an upgrade a few days ago...

I haven't found any good mitigations yet. Toggling debug mode on and off briefly makes the problem go away, but it comes back quickly (instantly, if I open something like the Visual Effect editor!)

xiaobin_drpanda likes this.
  25. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

I'm one of the people who's waiting for this fix to upgrade to Ventura. Unity 2021.3.15 was just released. Has anyone running Ventura tested the new version yet?

26. xiaobin_drpanda

xiaobin_drpanda

not working :(

matheus_inmotionvr likes this.
  27. ppixu

ppixu

Has anyone tried updating to Ventura 13.1?

28. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

Well, another good news!
    Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 15.48.15.png

29. unity_i0JypQEvpU_GWQ

unity_i0JypQEvpU_GWQ

I tried to update to 13.0.1, no effect, still lags

DannnyLe and AlejMC like this.
  30. AlejMC

AlejMC

Hopefully the fix is coming soon enough but for those that reach this page of the forum thread:
    If you happen to be editing scriptable objects or things that could survive play mode (or that at least you can copy) doing those things in play mode is a whole lot faster (10x at least in my case)...

I'm editing shaders while in play mode since the windows react and refresh properly that way, reminds me of the days of pressing the Turbo button in those old 486 PC boxes :p

31. TomKowalczuk

TomKowalczuk

32. LuisGGS

LuisGGS

Should have read this posts before....
    Same issue with Ventura.
    Using mac mini 2018.

33. Thanitsak

Thanitsak

Still waiting for updates... wow this takes really long

34. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

Another update...
    Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 16.26.46.png

35. Jean-Pif

Jean-Pif

Just adding my voice to the crowd, Unity please fix ASAP as this is probably the worst and most productivity-affecting issue i have seen in 5+ years using Unity. On my macbook pro 2019, i have to restart unity basically every 10 minutes.

36. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

37. xiaobin_drpanda

xiaobin_drpanda

maybe forget to remove the track of memory allocation after the memory is actually released. a common mistake did at least once by all the programmers in the world.

AcidArrow likes this.
  38. timgreenberg

timgreenberg

Still having this problem in the new 2022.1.24f that just landed

AlejMC and unity_i0JypQEvpU_GWQ like this.
  39. FedexPower

FedexPower

Nothing to do ;(

40. FedexPower

FedexPower

I tried uninstalling Visual Scripting, it should work without.

41. ranmak_unity

ranmak_unity

Thanks. Let's hope we'll get the fix within 2 weeks.

TomKowalczuk likes this.
  42. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Nah, I think it needs at least 3-4 more weeks, then there will be holidays / new year's which should delay things further, I expect mid January the earliest, but I'm up for being pleasantly surprised.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  43. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

I expect the fix at the Q4 2023 actually. :confused: Yes, 2023. A fix shouldn't take this long for such a big and important bug.

44. AlejMC

AlejMC

Agreed, but to be honest, I'm glad already that the Unity team has embraced the M1/M2 jump as thorough as possible. Unity being such a truly multiplatform software, I work both on Windows PCs (a workstation Xeon from a couple of years ago) and a M1 Ultra. Totally dread when I have to do or fix stuff Windows side... just opening the projects is several times slower, playing, stopping, compiling, building, everything.

There's still some quirks I believe with UI interactions, clicking, dragging, etc seem to have a not clear lag/behavior, reordering game objects or dropping references can become a chore for some reason.

But willing to give them some slack on this one, as it looks like something got them by surprise by the macOS Ventura release... agreed that it is a big one and hope to be pleasantly surprised by a fix before this year ends.

(...and a completely multicore, Metal3 enabled editor and all that... but Santa doesn't exist I have been told)

45. timgreenberg

timgreenberg

2022.2.0f just landed, still having this problem

46. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's easy to be taken by surprise when you're not paying attention.

47. r033

r033

First Ventura developer beta was released in June. Ventura fully released in October. It's now December and Unity is still lagging.

48. burn04

burn04

I have ventura 13.0.1, and unity in 2022.1.8f, and haven't experienced any lags, but i have really raw build (no models, shaders etc). Do lags appear while working on those?

49. TomKowalczuk

TomKowalczuk

Mine lags even on an empty project

50. unity_i0JypQEvpU_GWQ

unity_i0JypQEvpU_GWQ

It's looks like you need to trigger some async operations somehow. Sometimes its about opening IDE, editing Scriptable objects or prefabs. I can work 10-20 mins without any lags, but sometimes they appear in 5 min.

chemicalcrux and AlejMC like this.