Search Unity

Performance hit using morph targets?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by jococo, Dec 15, 2014.

1. jococo

jococo

I've just figured out how to do morph target animations in Unity and I love it!

I haven't seen any SO FAR but are there performance issues using these on a moble device real time that anyone has seen?

When not in use do they affect performance in any way by simply having them imported?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 265lutab

265lutab

I was also wondering about this. Anyone have an answer?

3. zge

zge

I've used them a while back without any issues for Android and iOS. I can't imagine they'd affect performance if not being used, but I'm not sure.

I'm just about to use them extensively for my current project so I'll report back here if I notice any problems.

265lutab likes this.
  4. illinar

illinar

I'm wondering how do morph targets work exactly. Do they contain position delta for vertices and only those that are morphed? When morph target weight value is changed, do they get recalculated on GPU by modifying the mesh data currently in memory, and then the system rests when no changes are made?

That's what looks like the optimal way to do them, so I assume that's how they done, but really I have no idea and would like to know. Couldn't find that info yet.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    EZaca likes this.