Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Question Performance drops almost 2/3 when switching to portrait mode

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Jdedueas, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Jdedueas

Jdedueas

Hi, I'm developing an Android project using Unity 2022.3.10f1 and URP, and I'm testing whether switching the game to portrait mode is a viable change or not.

I changed the camera position and the UI layout to match a portrait screen and did a quick build to test it in a device. To my surprise, performance dropped a lot, and to give you numbers, on my testing device the game (in landscape) runs normally at 100-110 fps, but in portrait runs at 35-40 fps.

I was pretty sure no change in the camera position or in the UI layout was causing this huge performace drop, so I built the project again, but this time in landscape mode and performace was back to normal. (camera and ui was matching portrait so it looked awful but this was just for testing purposes)

I tried changing some settings I found on other forum posts but nothing worked.
    I sincerly hope this issue can be solved, thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  2. icauroboros

icauroboros

You can hope all day long, but It wont solve any issues.
    What you need to is using the profiler and pinpoint issue that makes your game perform worse.

3. Jdedueas

Jdedueas

First thing I did but I can't pinpoint the root of the problem, so thanks for stating the obvious I guess.