Search Unity

Performance drop in VR on Unity 5.2.0 and later

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by olavrv, Oct 2, 2015.

1. ccsander

ccsander

Yes - use latest drivers and 0.1.2 or 0.1.3 utils. I also had some issues until I updated. I'm happy I am finally on latest versions of everything and I don't appear to have any new issue. Todd - I hope you root cause your new issue.

2. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I'm not using utils, by the way. Are there performance gains to be had there there or is it mostly just helper functions?

3. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

For what it's worth, when I turned off real time reflection probes the very rare right eye flickering went away as well as the stuttering (naturally since the frame rate goes up). The performance is excellent then without any stuttering anywhere in my scenes, at least as fast at 5.1.2p3 which I've used until now. Other 5.2 versions could not even come close to handling it. This new one has no troubles as long as I keep the probes turned off.

I'm not entirely sure that I'm comparing apples to apples here though. I was never really expecting to be able to run real time reflection probes on the Oculus Rift, and am not 100% sure that the comparison I'm making is really to a case where I was running those. So take some of what I've said here with a bit of a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Overall the performance is significantly improved over any other 5.2 I've tried at least. That much is sure.

4. scottb9239

scottb9239

Very exciting to hear, can't wait to update and try out my project. :)

5. scottb9239

scottb9239

Well, I brought my game into 5.3.1 and was initially disappointed as it seemed to run a lot slower than in 5.1.4 that I had been using. But after rebaking the lightmaps and tweaking their settings a bit, found that it now runs a lot faster than in 5.1.4, faster than I'd ever seen it, definitely noticed that the CPU usage is a lot lower than before. So yeah, will be sticking to this version, my game runs at a solid 60fps throughout. :)

sonofbryce and Todd-Wasson like this.
  6. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Has anyone tried 5.3.2p1 or 5.3.2p2? How's Rift performance?

7. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

My tests show ~11.7ms CPU overhead for DK2 in 5.3.2p2, so it's comparable to 5.2.3p3 (or 5.3.0p1) when the performance optimizations were introduced.

Cheers,
    Will

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Todd-Wasson likes this.