Search Unity

Performance drop after upgrading to 2021.2.9

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by luvjungle, Apr 4, 2022.

1. luvjungle

luvjungle

Hi all!
    Recently I upgraded my project from 2020.3.6 to 2021.2.9, Addressables version 1.19.19
    My addressables setup is pretty basic: 1 group, couple of small level prefabs, I use InstantiateAsync on Start.
    After Editor upgrade Instantiation takes huge amount of time like 3-4 seconds compared to near instant in 2020.3
    I tried different approaches, like LoadAssetAsync and Instantiate then, tried WaitForCompletion(), tried splitting my group into multiple group, nothing seems to work.
    The one thing that works is Pack Separately but after I do fix duplicate bundle dependency performance drops again.
    Please help.

2. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

Same issue here. 1.18.19 does not have performance issues, yet 1.19.19 is super-slow.

Unity 2021.2.19f1
    Devices tested: Galaxy S21 Ultra, Google Pixel 4a, iPhone 13 Pro Max

Unity 2020.3.* did not seem to have any problems with Addressables 1.19.*

Prodigga likes this.
  3. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey all, just wanted to post what I know about this issue. It appears that there's some pretty significant performance regressions in the Editor for 2021.2+, from what I understand.

Igor, it's interesting to me that you say 1.18.19 doesn't have as many issues with performance as 1.19.19 does on that editor version. From what I'm hearing, the Editor performance is mainly affected by shaders and sprites. I can't think of any fixes we've done involving shaders, but I do know we've fixed some bugs with sprites and sprite atlases. It could be that we're hitting something in the Editor in 1.19.19 due to a bug that we fixed.

There could still be an Addressable issue, I don't want you to think I'm dismissing that possibility. But, the fact you're both using 2021.2 and having these performance issues, and I've just heard about performance problems affecting that editor version, I think that may be the problem.

If you're able, please report bugs with Unity regarding this. It's already high on that teams priority list, but any additional info could help get the problem resolved faster.

ImpossibleRobert and IgorBoyko like this.
  4. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

Thanks a lot, I have submitted bugreport via Unity's built-in bugreport sender. Repro steps and example project attached.
    Case 1419672

5. sunlight1994

sunlight1994

I also had the same problem today. After updating to the Unity 2021 LTS version, the resource loading is slow. So, after starting the project in Unity 2020 version, I downgraded it to Addressable 1.18.19 and pushed it to Github. After that the problem was solved. I hope you can solve the problem too.

6. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

As a workaround, you can avoid downgrading to Unity 2020, just downgrade Addressables. Edit Packages/manifest.json file, open project once and then push all the modifications (you'll have 2 files: manifest.json and packages-lock.json)

gleamgames likes this.
  7. alesmasiar

alesmasiar

I also had similar problem after upgrading to LTS 2021.3.0f1 today. Downgrading Addressables to 1.18.19 helped.

8. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

@davidla_unity, is there any place we can track this issue? As you've mentioned before, it's already high on that teams priority list, but looks like we're lacking some information on whether it's going to be fixed at all, included in next Unity release, or even if it's reproducible by the team. If I can help with anything, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  9. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @IgorBoyko so, I looked up that case number you posted and it still appears to be in our QA's triage queue. Once it's triaged, I think an issue is created on the public issue tracker. I'd have to double check that to be sure. I can try and ping that team to get more info, but I'm not sure how much good I'll do. When they're able to get to triage the ticket they should get back to you via email, at the very least. I'll keep an eye on it as best I can

IgorBoyko likes this.
  10. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

Hello and thanks for your reply. I'm checking this thread and the issue daily, no worries :)

11. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Just an update, we discussed this case today and my team is going to try and get QA eyes on it sooner than later. Nothing super notable, just wanted to post while I was thinking of it.

apkdev and IgorBoyko like this.
  12. krzychuwr1_unity

krzychuwr1_unity

I had the same issue, scenes which were loading in ~1-2 seconds started to take about 10 times longer to load with addressables 19.19 compared to 18.19 (in my case it happened after upgrading 2020 LTS to 2021 LTS).

Device tested: Oculus Quest 2.

I was able to work around the issue by downgrading addressables to 18.19 while keeping 2021 LTS, seems to be working fine.

IgorBoyko likes this.
  13. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

@davidla_unity hey, I'm once again reaching out to you because there seems to be no response whatsoever yet. I would also like to mention that I'm a pro license subscriber and this feels kinda sketchy right now. Case ID is 1419672. If there are any questions related to reproducing the issue, or anything I could help with, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  14. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    alesmasiar likes this.
  15. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    alesmasiar likes this.
  16. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

The issue has been marked as "Won't fix" because "No fix is planned for this bug". The... what? Our game is completely unusable because of this. Loading times are increased like mad, creating UI is also super-slow.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    alesmasiar and tazerg like this.
  17. alesmasiar

alesmasiar

I'm also curious .... how is this bug being dismissed? The loading time of our app literally increased from ~15s to ~60s - that's 4 times longer. If this is not considered a regression, I don't know what is.

FamishedMammal and IgorBoyko like this.
  18. kahyong_unity

kahyong_unity

Unity Technologies

alesmasiar and IgorBoyko like this.
  19. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

Thanks a lot for looking into it, I really appreciate it! Great to see that it wasn't actually dismissed and we won't have to downgrade Addressables version each time we update Unity. Thanks again!

20. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

I can confirm that the issue seems to be solved now and Addressables loading speed is back to normal. Unity 2021.3.4f1

alesmasiar likes this.
  21. FamishedMammal

FamishedMammal

What addressables version are you using?

22. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

23. nikita-gurkov

nikita-gurkov

In Unity 2021.3.11f1 with Addressables 1.19.19 my addressable instantiation time doubles on Android, memory footprint is the same. Downgraded Addressables to 1.18.19 and the issue is gone.

FamishedMammal likes this.
  24. jurjenfutureplay

jurjenfutureplay

Noticed the same here, 1.19.19 performs the worst, 1.18.19 performs the best, and it seems like that 1.21.1 performs the same as 2020.3 with 1.19.19.