Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance difference: number of lights while real time is turned off

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by NvdL, May 28, 2017.

1. NvdL

NvdL

Hello all,
    I have a scene (with first person viewer) which contains quite a lot of textures and vertices and is thus computationally expensive to render. Therefore, when running the game, I would like to use only baked textures.
    In the lighting settings I turned off real-time lighting (realltime global illumatic) and I have turned on Baked global illumination.
    I have lamps (point) in the scene which I all turned to static and mode: baked.
    All objects are static except for the Camera rig (VRTK, steam VR).
    Given all the above settings, I expected that all textures will be baked and that there would be no real time rendering. However, the number of lamps I have in the scene makes a large difference for performance. With 5 lights the . How is this possible? Since it should all be baked, I though theoretically the number of draw calls would be the same? Am I misunderstanding this mechanism or have I forgotten to turn on/off a certain setting? Btw, how can I check whether anything is still rendered in real time?
    I attached screen shots of the profiler for illustration.
    Thanks in advance!
    Best, Nynke

Attached Files:

2. NvdL

NvdL

Anyone an idea? How is it possible that the number of lamps still matters while realtime lighting is off? (or am I missing a setting to really turn it off?)