Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Performance degradation upgrading 2019.4 to 2020.3

Discussion in 'VR' started by lmartellmc, Apr 17, 2021.

1. lmartellmc

lmartellmc

We have a shipped title on Quest, testing whether an upgrade to 2020 is safe, mainly for Open XR support but there's a few other things we've been fighting that are fixed in 2020. We've got everything working, but performance on device is severely degraded. Solid 72fps on Quest 1 drops to 40-50fps and CPU / GPU throttle up to max power. Profiling from device doesn't reveal anything particularly telling. Are there known issues with 2020 on Quest? We started with LWRP but went to URP v7.x in 2019. Maybe something in the upgrade to URP v10.x?

2. GamesByNemiz

GamesByNemiz

Hey. I'm experiencing something similar. I'm in the middle of a project and decided to try and upgrade from 2019.3.0f3 to 2020.3.4f1, because I couldn't get batching to work with the tilemap and sprite atlasses in 2019.3.0f3 and because it look like it did work in 2020.3.4f1.

Before upgrading, I was at 163 batches with an FPS of 112 (in a compiled version).
    After upgrading, I was at 40 batches with an FPS of 15 (in a compiled version).

Something definitely seems off in 2020.3.

Update:
    Just tried 2019.4.24f1, cause I'm just looking for a version that works with the batching and doesn't have the performance degradation. I'm seeing the same low FPS in this version however, so my problem isn't limited to 2020.3.

Update2:
    After trying 2021.2.0a13 as well and experiencing the same problem, I concluded that something had to be wrong in the project, and since the Burst and Collection packages are necessary together with "2D Animation" in order to get decent performance, I looked at those and saw that I had a rather old version of Collections installed. After installing the newest one FPS was up to about 100 in a compiled version. Not quite 112 as in 2019.3.0f3 and I had actually expected more than that now that Batches were down from 163 to 40, but it's a start I guess.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  3. MDADigital

MDADigital

2020 and 2019 report fps differently. You shouldn't really use fps as a measurement anyway use frame time instead

4. lmartellmc

lmartellmc

The FPS numbers I'm reporting are coming from device (OVRMetrics) not Unity itself. Looks like GamesByNemiz is also reporting from a compiled version. Still trying to figure this out, but we're not using 2D animation or any of those related packages.

5. GamesByNemiz

GamesByNemiz

Yeah, my FPS measurements were also not from Unity itself. I compiled the game and tested in the exact same scene with 2019 and 2020 - while I measured FPS with Fraps.

If I could get 112 FPS in 2019 with 163 batches and only 100 FPS in 2020 with only 40 batches, something is definitely slower in 2020 - atleast when it comes to my test scene.

I do have a lot of animations in the scene that I converted from Anima2D to "2D Animation", which is why I suspect that "2D Animation" is "the thing" that is slower, but since lmartellmc is not using "2D Animation" there could simply just be an overall performance problem with 2020.

6. lmartellmc

lmartellmc

I think we found the culprit... we were using renderer features for a few effects. Tried switching them off but Oculus' Renderdoc was still showing an intermediate texture instead of straight to the swapchain. Turns out you have to actually delete renderer features, or the pipeline still uses that intermediate texture. Something about that changed between 2019 and 2020, maybe in the URP itself. 2019 was slightly slower until we deleted those, but 2020 completely tanked.