Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance and other issues - Unity 5 beta

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by grosssmutttr, Oct 27, 2014.

1. grosssmutttr

grosssmutttr

Hi there,

just upgraded to the Unity 5 - Beta.

Now I imported my 4.5 project and recognized some significant issues.

1. Performance of the Android app is really worse:
    Perhaps the debugger shows the issue:
    "AudioManager.Update" is called everytime with about 4 ms ... Even if no sound is played...
    Edit I: I resolved the "AudioManager.Update()" issue with a simple Unity restart. But the performance of our app is still much worse in comparison to 4.5.5
    Edit II: In the new Unity version it is really not recommended to use a Resource folder...
    Solved: If you avoid using the Resources folder Unity 5 has a much better performance than 4.5.4

2. The apk size increased drastically:
    The apk had 19 MB with Unity 4.5.4 and now has 29 MB with the "Fat Build" Device Filter and about 22 MB with armv7.
    So the App increased for about 3 MB. If it gets bigger only high end devices can run apps made with unity.

3. Black screen:
    The app launches perfect and shows the start screen. If I go to another scene and try to get back to the menu, the screen is black. I still hear the sound and I can press on buttons, but I can't see anything. I already read about this issue and tried several things without success.
    Used Android device: Nexus 4, Android version 4.4.4
    Solved: I unchecked "Use 32-bit Display Buffer" and it works. But I think this functionality should work...
    Solution II: "Use 32-bit Display Buffer" works again after removing all broken prefabs from a scene.

4. ctrl-z not working on broken GameObjects:
    If you move a gameObject and want to undo this step it does not work.
    If you drag and drop a prefab in scene and delete the prefab. The "broken" gameobject can be moved but does not recognize ctrl-z. Solution: GameObject>Break Prefab Instance

5. Instantly crashes:
    Unity crashes very often. Example given: I save a script in MonoDevelop and try to run...
    The last crash happened after I deleted a Prefab but I got the GameObject on scene. I wanted to drag and drop the gameobject to create a new pref. Unity crashed and the gameobject and prefab aren't available anymore...It seems as if unity crashes every time I try to drag and drop a gameobject to save it as a prefab.
    Solved: It seems as if Unity only crashes if I try to make a prefab with a broken gameObject. So simply "GameObject>Break Prefab Instance" solved the problem

Error that occurs from time to time when you save a script in MonoDevelop and want to run the scene (->Unity crashes):

6. Can't edit sorting layer of a 2D GameObject (Sprite):
    Created a new 2D Sprite GameObject. Added a new sorting layer on last position (top). Wanted to change the sorting layer within the SpriteRenderer to this layer and it is not working.
    Solution: Upgrad to Unity 5 b12

7. Acer Iconia Tab A500:
    If I try to "build and run" the app on the Acer Iconia Tab A500 (Android 4.0.3) the message "Failure to initialize! Your hardware does not support this application, sorry!" appears.
    I tried to build the Android app with device filter Fat and only armv7. With Multithreading and GPU Skinning and without->no success. In Unity 4.5.5 the app worked. I've also tested the app on a Samsung S2, S3, S3 mini, S4 and a Nexus 4 without problems. Minimum API Level is Android 2.3.1 Gingerbread. Graphics level = automatic. Stripping level = Strip Assemblies.
    Answer: Acer Iconia Tab is no longer supported

8. New 2D project problems:
    8.1 Created a new 2D project and imported some graphics. I trimmed the graphics and tried to use them with the spriterenderer. The graphics are cut off.
    8.2 Get an error "Succeeded(hr)"
    Solved: Upgraded to Unity 5 b12

9. Switch platform to BlackBerry:
    When I try to build the app for BlackBerry I got 67 errors like this:
    Assets/noBtnQuit.cs(4,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MonoBehaviour' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

and this:
    Internal compiler error. See the console log for more information. output was:Error: System.Exception: 'UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour' was not found in any of the referenced assemblies
    at us.UnityScriptCompilerFactoryModule.resolveType (System.Object assemblies, System.String typeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at us.UnityScriptCompilerFactory.FromCommandLineOptions (us.CommandLineOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at us.UsModule.compile (us.CommandLineOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at us.UsModule.runWithCommandLine (System.String[] commandLine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Updated to Unity 5 b13 and the error above disappeared.
    Now when I try to publish to iOS and BlackBerry (Android not tested) I get the following error:
    Unable to find method FireOnPostRender in [UnityEngine.dll]UnityEngine.Camera

Perhaps somebody also recognized these issues and has already found an answer?

Best
    omi

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    MrEsquire likes this.
  2. any_user

any_user

3. grosssmutttr

grosssmutttr

I'm on windows. But the black screen is not occuring in unity. When I run the app on my Nexus 4 in some situations there is a black screen. Our first scene in the app loads successfully after starting the app. If we load another scene and get back to the start scene it is black but you hear the sound and the buttons are clickable...

Unity 5 is really not stable and the main problem is that you even can't create a new prefab by drag and drop...

4. VIC20

VIC20

Why? And in which cases?

5. grosssmutttr

grosssmutttr

I instantiated GameObjects out of this folder (which isn't recommended at all). In Unity 4.5.5 this was no problem. After I changed my logic so that I must not use a Resource folder in Unity 5 the performance is back to normal and the app runs fast.

6. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi omi, please submit a bugreport with your project attached, so we have a look at the crashes. I hope you don't mind splitting the different issues into separate bugs... Thanks!

shkar-noori likes this.
  7. grosssmutttr

grosssmutttr

I've sent the project...

8. spacefrog

spacefrog

EDIT:
    just to answer my own question
    It's in the releasenotes for B1

Quite disappointing... i run KitKat like a breeze ( Timduru to the rescue ) and Timduru even is working on a Loolipop built which runs even faster on the TF101...

Original Post:
    Just tried to build for my Tegra2 tabled ( Asus TF101) the first time since i have Unity 5 installed ( iuse the latest B14)
    To my suprise i get the same message mentioned above
    "Failure to initialize! Your hardware does not support this application, sorry!"

Build settings are all set to minimal options

What's the official minimal hardware requirement for an Android application build with unity 5 ?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    DarkPixel and Arkade like this.