Search Unity

Question Performance and optimization

Discussion in 'Graphics Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by jalbastefan828, May 24, 2023.

1. jalbastefan828

jalbastefan828

I appreciate very much that Unity receives new improvements and new features for graphics (for example: water system, APV, LightBaker v1.0, Voluemtric Clouds, SSLF, Transparency improvements).

Even so, I would like to see some improvements and changes on the performance side.

Looking at the roadmap, I saw some interesting things such as:
    Split Graphics Jobs, Burst Occlusion Culling System, SRP Volume System Optimizations, Hierarchical Level Of Details Generation and Automated LOD Generation.

Split Graphics Jobs is implemented in Unity 2023.1 and I did a small test (I followed the information on the forum: Forum post). I activated Graphics Jobs in the player settings and changed to DX12, then I built to test. Between DX11 and DX12 I did not find any difference in performance, and that was a little disappointing (v-sync off, configuration: i5-8400, 1060 6GB).

Besides that, I would like to know when these improvements will be implemented in Unity (probably Unity 2024 or 2023.2?): Burst Occlusion Culling System, SRP Volume System Optimizations, Hierarchical Level Of Details Generation and Automated LOD Generation

heartingNinja and jeromeWork like this.
  2. Anne_Daney

Anne_Daney

Unity Technologies

Hi Jalbastefan828,

Burst Occlusion Culling is in progress. We are actively working on making it production ready by assessing and improving workflows and performance concerns. We will give an update when we are more confident about the concrete production ready release dates.

AutoLOD and HLOD are also not ignored, but we will update you with more concrete details later.
    If you didn't do it yet, do not hesitate to vote to help us prioritize these features!

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    GDevTeam likes this.
  3. dnach

dnach

Unity Technologies

The performance benefits from Graphics (and Split) Jobs depend on the project complexity, and whether the bottleneck lies in the work needed to prepare the native command lists for submission, on the CPU. Hence you are more likely to see meaningful performance gains when CPU bound, for projects that submit large amounts of draw calls. If that is the case, would be useful to share more information on your test scenario in the thread you linked.

4. optimise

optimise

Is that desktop exclusive or any plan to make it available at mobile platform i.e. android and iOS too?

5. dnach

dnach

Unity Technologies

Graphics Jobs can be enabled on mobile (iOS/Android) in an experimental state. We are working to address the known issues, in order to ensure sufficient stability and performance, before evaluating the feature's production readiness on mobile. It is not clear yet whether we will enable the "Split Jobs" threading mode on mobile, but we are investigating this as well and will share more information when possible.

GDevTeam and optimise like this.
  6. jalbastefan828

jalbastefan828

Thank you for the answer :)

Images of the scene where I did the tests for Split Graphics Jobs.
    upload_2023-5-25_16-29-47.png upload_2023-5-25_16-30-47.png upload_2023-5-25_16-30-11.png upload_2023-5-25_16-31-14.png

7. remi_unity163

remi_unity163

Unity Technologies

For SRP Volume System Optimizations, it have been landed in several steps and backported when possible. (So a little reached last 2021LTS, some 2022.2+, and you will find everything in 2023.2+ version.

There is several optimization point that we considered:
    - Reducing the cost in case we do not want to use the system in SRP to negligible.
    - General optimization of the computation time for interpolation.
    We seen that the results may vary regarding the plateform. For instance, performance gain was less visible on PS5 but on PS4, switch and mobile it was definitely there. But globally all plateforms profit this optimization.

Matjio and jalbastefan828 like this.
  8. dnach

dnach

Unity Technologies

It's is not possible to tell using screenshots, but please keep in mind that Graphics Jobs are not supported yet in the Editor, and that Editor performance is not indicative of the built player's performance.

You can disable vsync and attach the Unity Profiler to your built application, and use the Timeline and Hierarchy views to try to get an overview of where most of the frame time is spent, and you could try to determine whether you are CPU/GPU bound.