Search Unity

Performance 2019LTS vs 2020LTS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ippdev, Apr 12, 2021.

1. ippdev

ippdev

At the point where we just release a sandbox for our game and are looking to upgrade due to few anomalistic crashes a day. So..as per title I am wondering if enough ECS got under the hood...or other improvements... in 2020LTS to make it faster than 2019LTS.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

I like 2020 for improved debugger performance.
    For me I haven't noticed specific difference. Maybe beside some more hold on popups?

I don't know what, or if anything else has been converted to DOTS under the hood.
    Possibly, but I suppose, bigger changes will be depending on packages tha are used.

I do remember however, somebody did lts versions comparison regression some time ago. May be worth to dig it out.

ippdev likes this.
  3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I think @Peter77 does the comparisons, unless I am mistaken

Antypodish likes this.
  4. ippdev

ippdev

Be quite interested to read. I was just ready to download 2019LTS and remembered i posted this thread to find this info out.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think there's any ECS under the hood.
    I think it's more or less the same.

ippdev likes this.
  6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

ippdev and Antypodish like this.
  7. Antypodish

Antypodish

Maybe not ECS itself, but I am sure they may be using some jobyfied parts of core.

Now is also wort thinking about packages, like unity.physics for example. Which is just DOTS.

Some NavMesh improvements too.

I remember around 2017-2018, officials mentioned, they did major rework for GameObjects hierarchy, to be compatible with later DOTS. Something like along these lines. And they do some more reworks, but not specifying what exactly.

I think these are rather small changes from version to version of Unty, to prevent major bugs.

ippdev likes this.
  8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Nah, they just improved the way they handle their hierarchy lists, nothing to do with DOTS afaik.

I also doubt they made any significant change to the core in the last 2-3 years. They have more or less abandoned it, and they are too afraid of making breaking changes to the current stuff, since they don't want to spend time on them.

If anything, things are getting slower, since any under the hood changes they do are meant to accommodate the future DOTS stuff and not the current feature set, so if anything they make the current feature set a bit worse.

Deleted User, Antypodish and Ryiah like this.
  9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I believe the changes to the core over the past few years have mainly focused on decoupling various features from the core, to move them to the Packages system. The end goal looks to me so eventually pretty much all the functionality of what is in the engine now will be implemented as packages hanging off of a slimmed down core.