Search Unity

Perform Action only if click not above UI-Element

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by ClaasM, Dec 17, 2014.

1. ClaasM

ClaasM

Hey Community,

How can i check if a click (or a touch) is above an UI-Element and only do something if it's not?
    I thought this would be easy but after I tried Raycasting with the UI-Layer blocked and Canvas Groups I still didn't find a solution.
    My Problem is that an action has to be performed unless the player is clicking e.g. a button, and currently I dont have any idea on how to do that (also there isnt much information about that and the new UI system on the internet yet so I have to ask such a simple question).

Thanks,
    Claas M.

2. brendan-vance

brendan-vance

3. ClaasM

ClaasM

Still returns true when the pointer is over a UI Element

4. Sebioff

Sebioff

Do you want to do something only if the mouse is anywhere but one specific UI element, or do you want to do something if it is not over any UI element? The question can be understood both ways.

ClaasM likes this.
  5. ibyte

ibyte

ClaasM, I was told EventSystem.IsPointerOverGameObject should really have been called EventSystem.IsPointerOverUIObject

In the documentation it says "Is the pointer with the given id over an EventSystem object?" In your case you want to use

if (EventSystem.IsPointerOverGameObject =! true)

Please be aware that if you have a panel that is stretched over the entire screen of your device it will always return true.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ugui-and-input-handling.286223/

iByte

ClaasM likes this.
  6. ClaasM

ClaasM

Thanks iByte, that solved it!
    (Also i meant over any UI-Object)

Claas M

brendan-vance likes this.