Search Unity

Perforce and source version control feedback

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by FrancisDuranceau, Jul 19, 2018.

1. FrancisDuranceau

FrancisDuranceau

Hello,

Just some feedback, since the packages are saved under a directory that uses the scheme com.company.package@[version], it makes it incompatible to use with Perforce as a source version control system.

The main issue is that Perforce uses the @ as a wildcard and even though you could force to add files with @ in their name, Perforce would convert the @ to %40.

If we could just use '_' or '-' with the version pattern at the end would be great for flexibility.

Francis

2. FrancisDuranceau

FrancisDuranceau

And it won't be a big surprise if I tell you that certain companies have strict rules and are 100% behind a firewall which makes GitHub not a viable alternative. I wish.

3. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @FrancisDuranceau !

Could you please tell us which paths are being saved under a directory with @? AFAIK this should only be the case for caches, which should not be put under source control.

4. FrancisDuranceau

FrancisDuranceau

For instance, I took the ARKit v1.5.0 plugin from GitHub and I've put it into a package.

D:\Workspace\ARKitTest\Packages\com.unity.arkit@1.5.0\

(also, side note but you can't name it com.unity.arkit@1.05.0, looks like the 05 won't be parsed properly)

5. FrancisDuranceau

FrancisDuranceau

And now I realise that the @1.5.0 is not mandatory.
    I probably copy/pasted the example from one the cached Unity package...
    We can close this thread!

Attached Files:

6. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @FrancisDuranceau,

That's correct, the embedded package folder name does not need to include the version number (and in fact it's discouraged).

As for package versions, their format follows Semantic Versioning (also known as SemVer), which disallows leading zeroes (excluding '0' itself). The actual rules can be found on the SemVer website: https://semver.org/#spec-item-2