Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Perfect install - Fixing most of your issues [Ubuntu]

Discussion in 'Linux' started by A7mdxD, Aug 16, 2016.

1. A7mdxD

A7mdxD

Hey there,

## This tutorial assumes you don't have unity3d/Mono-develop on your Ubuntu or have some trouble running them. ##

there are many kinds of issues that you may face during installation of unity on Linux, as it's still in the beta stage. this topic is about fixing most of the problem you are going to face in both app unity or Mono-develop.

What issues?
    • Recent menu after start-up and stays like that forever.
    • black splash screen and stays like that forever too, or show recent menu.
    • says can't copy from "path" to "path" bla bla bla
    • Mono-develop doesn't open scripts, scripts doesn't open at all.
    • Mono-develop says build error
    • Mono-develop has errors "for me, maybe someone has them too" after installing.
    • IEnumerator is colored in red in Mono-develop & doesn't get executed
    • Mono-develop missing some commands even after linking MonoBehaviour.
    Let's get started.
    How to install Unity on Ubuntu?
    1. Open this, Scroll down to the end to the newest post in the bottom to download the latest version of unity3d
    2. After downloading, You will see a .deb file, Open a terminal window by pressing [Ctrl + Alt + T] then type sudo dpkg -i Downloaded_File_Name.deb , type your ubuntu password & wait for it to get installed. If you get an error, type sudo apt-get install -f. This will install the needed dependencies
    3. Now we need to install Mono-develop because it doesn't come pre-installed with unity as in window, open a terminal window again [Ctrl + Alt + T] , type sudo apt-get install monodevelop & then wait for it to get download & installed or you could download it from Ubuntu Software Center that comes pre-installed with any ubuntu version.
    4. Open unity, Go to edit, Preferences, External tools & External script editor. Click browse then go to this path [ /opt/Unity/MonoDevelop/bin & choose MonoDevelop.exe.
    5. Now everything is just fine, but Unity shows recent menu for many people, or a black splash screen, Open a terminal window, Type sudo nautilus to open the file manager as root. go to /opt/Unity/Editor & open Unity, it will open as sudo and prompt you , just click continue & it will open.
    6. Mono-develop has many errors and bugs, try typing IEnumerator, It will get colored in red saying that it's missing from the current context. Open a terminal window [Ctrl + Alt + T] , now type sudo get build-dep monodevelop , it will get all needs for Mono-develop & now everything is ready to go.
    7. now, to fix IEnumerator red color and some other missing codes, you need install mono 2.0 and 4.0 by typing sudo apt-get install mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 and sudo apt-get install mono-reference-assemblies-4.0 then re-open Mono-develop
    8. Contact me if you have an error which you can't fix.
    9. License fix coming soon here.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. Lep0le

Lep0le

3. tommel1234

tommel1234

Thank for your help ! I succeeded to fix my List and IEnumerator problem !

4. jvetulani

jvetulani

Hi!

How would you, correctly, change the default install location of Unity on Ubuntu 16.04?
    The 6 gigs is a little hard on the main partition, which usually doesn't need that much space...

hailee241096 likes this.
  5. Seeker2921

Seeker2921

I am fairly certain that you cannot easily change the install location if installing via the .deb if at all. Perhaps if you install via the script you can modify the script prior to install to change the location and setup the paths correctly.

6. luciusclay

luciusclay

I wonder why monodevelop is not listed as a dependency of Unity?

7. luciusclay

luciusclay

The .sh install script will unpack Unity to whatever path you unpack it in, so you could use that. The downside is that you'll need to install all of the dependencies by hand instead of using apt install -f to handle it for you.
    Alternatively, you could just move the /opt/Unity folder somewhere else and see what happens.... Or mount another drive to /opt I guess?

8. jvetulani

jvetulani

Hi, thanks for the replies.
    Yeah I went with the .sh installer, it'll install to wherever you put the installer file. The two .desktop files bundled with it need to be modified for a proper path to the executables, and then you can put them whenever you need them to be visible in the system.

The .desktop files need to be edited in this way:
    For both Unity and Mono Develop change the EXEC path. you can only use one EXEC command, the unity-editor.desktop file has TWO, leave the one with %U.
    For both Unity and Mono Develop remove the version line.
    For both Unity and Mono Develop remove Application; from Categories.

Install both files with sudo desktop-file-install unity-editor.desktop unity-monodevelop.desktop

After that both are available from the dash.

9. amirishere

amirishere

I get this error in the console on startup:

Couldn't open /opt/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/VR/Android/AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.so, error: /opt/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/VR/Android/AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

I get it from a fresh install of 5.5.1xf1Linux and 5.6.0xb8Linux. moving the said file fixes the issue.

10. knobby67

knobby67

typing "sudo get build-dep monodevelop" gives "sudo: get: command not found"

11. knobby67

knobby67

OK figured it think it should be "sudo apt-get build-dep monodevelop", sorry I'm being stupid.

12. p0w1nd

p0w1nd

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  13. knobby67

knobby67

14. p0w1nd

p0w1nd

Thanks. I also posted on that thread.
    Btw, I removed 5.6 and re-installed 5.5.1f1 and it worked for me.

15. noopur88

noopur88

Hey, i performed all the commands in ubuntu as you said...and installed mono develop. but still my mono develop is still not working.It is not even the scripts. what should i do now ??

16. aweshum

aweshum

I don't know what I did wrong with my installation, but my installed Unity keeps giving me errors and even a blank alert. I don't know if I should be more specific. Even some of the steps don't quite line up with my installation.

17. lcs_tlf

lcs_tlf

Hello, I have an issue that I was wondering if there is a fix for. Just for some background that is unrelated, I use ScriptInspector 3, so I am not using monodevelop and do not have it installed.

Using Unity 2017.2.1 the UI is not scaling correctly with Gnome. Everything is very tiny. Is there a way to fix this? I read that this is fix in 2018 versions, but I cannot use 2018 as the assets I am using do not support it yet.