Search Unity

"perf.*.v1" built-in analytics events

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by JohnOknelorfDev, Dec 18, 2018.

1. JohnOknelorfDev

JohnOknelorfDev

Hello, Dear Forum,

While debugging, in the Network tab of the DevTools (Chrome), I discovered some exciting events. Here is a couple of examples:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. {
    2.   "type": "perf.startupTime.v1",
    3.   "msg": {
    4.     "ts": 1545161852123,
    5.     "gfx_done": 957899,
    6.     "first_scene": 1015999,
    7.     "scene_init": 1581599,
    8.     "scene_done": 1856299
    9.   }
    10. }
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. {
    2.   "type": "perf.sceneLoadingTime.v1",
    3.   "msg": {
    4.     "ts": 1545161852176,
    5.     "scene_name": "UIMaster",
    6.     "scene_index": 0,
    7.     "background_time": 219900000,
    8.     "integrate_time": 524200000,
    9.     "ts_integrate_time": 139500000,
    10.     "total_time": 883700032
    11.   }
    12. }
    It looks quite interesting regarding performance analysis. But I cannot find any information about these events in the Manual, Documentation, and Google. Where can I find information about it and where can I inspect this curious collected data?

Regards,
    John.

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @JohnOknelorfDev ,

These (undocumented) events are part of a range of data points that we collect. Not every event is directly connected to the developer-facing tools we provide. Some data, like these performance events, help us make Unity work better for everyone but allowing us to aggregate and understand performance characteristics in the wild.

3. JohnOknelorfDev

JohnOknelorfDev

Hi @marc_tanenbaum ,

Thank you very much for the response. I understand, this all sounds very reasonable. The question of interest: the topic related to performance in projects is constantly receiving the close review. And these (or similar) events might be very useful for many users. Do you plan to add some public built-in analytics events for performance measuring (for example, the loading of the project/engine in WebGL projects) in the near/far future?

Regards,
    John.

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

While that's certainly possible, I can't make any claim that there are specific plans in the works for this. We understand that runtime performance data could potentially be useful to our customers, but collecting data for internal aggregation is not the same as making it customer-ready, since that usually involves a lot more work.

5. JohnOknelorfDev

JohnOknelorfDev

Okay, I understand, thank you very much, @marc_tanenbaum, for your detailed answer, as always.