Search Unity

Perception of scale in VR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by olavrv, Jun 16, 2016.

1. olavrv

olavrv

We are developing a VR application where the player is seated on the bridge of a ship. The equipment such as joysticks, monitors and buttons close to the player looks unrealistically tiny in VR.

Does anyone have any tips and advice on how to get this to feel more realistic?

Appriciate any input on this issue!

2. Elecman

Elecman

You probably have your scale set up wrong. Have a look at the mesh import settings and measure the imported models inside Unity (1 unit should be 1 meter) to make sure the scale is correct.

Also make sure that the height of the real physical chair you are sitting on is the same height as the VR chair you are sitting on. If the two don't match up, your brain can scale the world to make it match. No joke.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  3. olavrv

olavrv

Hi, scale of objects and seating position is accurate and correct.

4. Elecman

Elecman

Is the IPD set correctly?

5. olavrv

olavrv

We have not adjusted IPD. Do you have any tips on how to do this? Will be greatly appriciated!

6. Elecman

Elecman

It depends what hardware you have. If you have a DK2, you have to do it somewhere in the Oculus settings. With a CV1 you have to do it with a slider on the HMD. Not sure about the Vive...

7. TrickyHandz

TrickyHandz

The VIVE has a knob of the side that can be used to adjust IPD. If you want an accurate measurement of your IPD, you will need to visit an eye doctor.

8. mgear

mgear

Is the scale fine in other games/demos (for example any made with unity) ?

9. Elecman

Elecman

I am pretty sure you don't need to visit an eye doctor to measure your IPD.
    http://doc-ok.org/?p=898

TrickyHandz likes this.
  10. olavrv

olavrv

Yes, the scale in the demos seems fine. To me it seems like the FOV on the Unity camera is so high, that this might be causing it - and wondering if there are anyone who has any experience dealing with this issue.

11. Slaghton

Slaghton

I just started dev'ing with the vive with a premade scene I made before and i found I have to scale the whole scene down around the vive camera rig to make it look right in the unity editor. But then in the editor it says its not calibrated so if I ever put it on steam then it might change the camera rig to be taller and ide have to scale the world back up. I'll just have to see what happens.

12. Elecman

Elecman

The FOV should be set automatically. Messing with that is asking for trouble.

Add a meter cube, then add a virtual ruler which size is calibrated against the meter cube. Put your assets next to the cube and ruler and see if it looks correct.

To me it sounds your assets are imported in the wrong size. You better double check this. I get this issue all the time. 3ds Max being set to inch instead of mm, the FBX importer messing it up even further, and Unity getting confused. By the time it is in your scene, the scale is all wrong.

The only way to really check if your assets are the correct scale is to do the meter cube and ruler trick. Don't bother looking at the importer or 3d modelling program size variables.

Todd-Wasson and tango209 like this.
  13. rgrlee71

rgrlee71

I know this is an old thread but this can be simply solved by parenting your VR camera to another object and changing the scale of the parent object. In VR it changes what is known as "world scale".

14. Gruguir

Gruguir

Yes, but the OP question was about 1:1 accurate scale perception, and Elecman gave the right answers.