Search Unity

PDF / Offline Documentation

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by cheetahj25, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheetahj25

cheetahj25

I really want to learn Unity and maybe I am one of the more rare individuals that learns faster from textbooks. I started reading the documentation online, but it was too slow for me... reading a bit here, then scroll down, read a bit more, then click next. It felt like I was reading at 60% my normal speed.

I couldn't find PDF documentation anywhere and it looked like a few other people were looking for it too, so I whipped up a quick C# app to download the manual and then convert it into PDF... it's current as of November 28th, 2016 and is version 5.4. As long as someone doesn't make any crazy changes to how the Manual is structured online, I can run my app and get an updated PDF version at anytime.

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Hi Cheetahj25,

Just need to bring your attention to the fact that you do not own our documentation. You can not publish it in any way. I have removed the link you have on your post.

If you have Unity on your machine, and have downloaded the docs then you have full documentation. This means you have full access to read everything.

Regards,
    Graham

3. cheetahj25

cheetahj25

I'm terribly sorry... definitely did not intend to break any rules or claim ownership, I just wanted the manual in PDF format so I could read faster. I don't mind keeping it just for myself, but it sounded like some other people wanted this too and thought this might help out the community. I asked about this in the IRC channel, but didn't get a response so I figured I would share here.

Is this something Unity would be willing to post on this site somewhere?
    I am happy to share my app, update the PDF myself, or forget this whole thread and go back to coffee and coding.

4. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Why not post something on you site which explains what you did so others can do the same thing for *themselves*? So I mean it was your approach that is worth sharing.

(This is pretty much agreeing with your last paragraph... Share the knowledge you have.)

5. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

Hi @cheetahj25, there are no plans to provide a PDF of our documentation, but you're free to use whatever form you need for yourself provided you do not distribute it in any way. That's a big no-no. Going to close this thread now and let you get back to coffee and coding :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.