Search Unity

[PC] [WIP] FREEDRIVE - An Open World driving simulator

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by woodsynzl, May 30, 2015.

?

Would you buy this game if it was available on iOS/Android?

1. Yes! Count me in

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Maybe, but it wouldn't be like the real game

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. No not at all. It would just be a cheap ripoff!

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. I'd have to see what it looks like first

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

merc interiror.png ui.png

FREEDRIVE, is a game currently a work in progress, none of the Alphas/Betas represent the final product.
    BIO
    • Hi, I'm Blake, a 15 year old kid from New Zealand, who loves the outdoors and tinkering with stuff - I saw the advantages in developing/programming over just being the end user, because I get to do the work and see the end output.
    • So all I want to achieve is a solid, fun, and beautiful game.
    ABOUT
    • Open World - In FREEDRIVE you can drive anywhere you want in an open landscape, without the restriction of barriers or fences.​
    • Driving Simulator - So far in the game, all you can do is drive, I will add in goals, races, multiplayer, online radio and maybe a car modifying editor, if the game draws enough attention.
    • Physics - Currently I am using UnityCar 2.1, this is an excellent physics script for the cars, there are a few issues I need to fix.​
    • Quality - I am making the most of Unity 5's shader quality and want to push it to the limit, so for this I am using uSky for a extremely high quality daytime/night time cycle, aswell as the Physically Based Shading it has to offer.​

PLATFORMS
    • Windows XP/7/8/8.1
    • Mac OS X
    • If this project gains enough support I will put in the time and effort to make a version for iOS and Android.

HELP
    Throttle - W/UP key
    Reverse/Brake - S/DOWN key
    Steering A/LEFT - D/RIGHT
    Handbrake - SPACE
    Clutch - V
    Shift UP - Z
    Shift DOWN - X
    Camera Switch - C

LINKS
    [Windows]
    [Mac OS X]
    • Download FREEDRIVE 0.0.5a 64 bit
    • Download FREEDRIVE 0.0.5a UNIVERSAL
    • Download FREEDRIVE 0.0.6 UNIVERSAL
    • Download FREEDRIVE 0.0.7 UNIVERSAL
    [Linux]

*If you download any of these tech demos, please give feedback on what I need to interrogate into the game

CHANGELOGS

0.0.2 - Download Windows

Initial release
    Includes a non textured piece of basic terrain and a Nissan R34
    ____________________________________________________________________________

0.0.4 - Download Windows
    Fixed the issue where the handbrake did not respond fully
    Added a basic road system and textured the terrain for better contrast to the sky
    Added some props with basic Rigidbody Physics
    Added a "Reset" button, rather than having to go back to main menu when car is in a unflipable state.

0.0.5a - Multi platform
    A release for Mac OS X users [Intel, Universal]
    A release for Linux users
    Many shaders have been replaced with Unity's Standard shader for improved looks and performance
    Added interior view
    Added background mountains for an improved look in the playable demo
    Added image effects, such as bloom, sun shafts, and more
    Upgraded the shaders on the car for a more rich, beautiful look
    Added mirrors
    Added digital clock to the dashboard + a time setter

IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT THERE ARE SOME MAJOR BUGS THAT NEED TO FIXED WITH 0.0.5a

• There is no car noises - Due to a AudioListener problem which I will fix ASAP.
    • The cameras do not switch and therefore no interior camera - Due to a bug with the camera controller script
    • Time of day options and time is cut off the screen and off the HUD - This is due to the buttons not being anchored correctly on the RectTransform
    Please do not bug me about bugs (no pun intended) - If you read it is version 0.0.5 ALPHA - I am releasing this so you can help me squash these nasty little buggers to make a stable, enjoyable game

V0.0.6
    • Fixed all issues in 0.0.5a

V0.0.7
    • Slightly fixed the optimization for some GPU's - including low framerates
    • New camera system - added a better follow camera, optimized mouse orbit camera (hold down left mouse to use) and a better cockpit camera
    • Fixed the very bright bloom/HDR flare
    • New and redesigned UI
    • Added pause menu (esc to activate)
    • Added a headlight switch that can be activated in the HUD
    *About the graphics problems,
    I have got rid of some un-needed code - but I have noticed that this hasn't fixed the problem FULLY, I have noticed that when you have a few switches with the camera button the FPS can raise a lot higher - I will look into this bug

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  2. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Google images is like a Hallmark store for every occasion.

3. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Rules you say?

4. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Yes. The rules.

5. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Explain what rules I have broken

6. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Downloading now

7. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Cheers @IAmCraigSnedeker

It is a really simple demo for the game but your feedback would be awesome!

8. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

• If you create a thread please provide a description of your work and some screenshots. Don't just link to a webplayer or download. Give us some hint of what we will be looking at.
    Yes, that one. Remember when you first created this posting and it contained nothing but text? I mentioned the rules. You said, "Really?". I said, "Yes, really." Then you proceeded to update your posting with actual media so people could see what your game would be like. Yup, that rule.

And since we're supposed to give feedback about someone's actual game, just what does "anywhere" entail? Why do gamers and developers alike believe that "anywhere" is actually anything at all within the context of a videogame? There will always be 'barriers' or places you can't reach because a game isn't infinitesimal in size or scope. Surely as you develop your game you're going to realize that you will have places to drive, as opposed to just anywhere.

9. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Okay well sorry for making a bad impression? This is my first project and I've never really done any of these before? Please excuse the word "anywhere"; it was meaning to explore the map without the boundaries of barriers/fences. Of course the world is not infinite? Example - is GTA V infinite? But is it open world?

10. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

0.0.5b has been released for Windows! Get your copy now!

Coming in 0.0.6 - A completely new camera system that gives ease of access and no bugs when switching!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  11. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

0.0.6 released for Windows 64 and Mac!

32 bit version for Windows coming soon!

12. Batman_831

Batman_831

looks good...

13. EvilTak

EvilTak

@WOODSY I have many many suggestions/problems to point out. I am a 14 year old and am creating a racing game myself. My comments:
    • Graphics: I have a NVidia GTX 980M, it should be able to handle anything you throw at it, including an indie game. When I first ran the game at Ultra and FHD, it ran at less than 10 FPS. Optimize your code, throw out redundant stuff. Considering this game is still in alpha, you can do that later, but that is an important thing to be done. The graphics too at Ultra were so so. This game is for PC, it should have good graphics (you can do this later, I'm just pointing that out).
    • Camera: My first impression is that the camera was kept as a child of the car's game object. Instead why don't you use a proper camera script like for example the vehicle camera rig included in the new Standard Assets. The current setup is really bad for a driving game. Look at some other games for inspiration.
    • Vehicle Physics: At first even I was thinking of using UnityCar but after some time I realised that while UnityCar is extremely realistic, arcade physics are better for racing games. This is only my view, it is completely up to you what physics you want.
    • Shaders: I would recommend you to change the properties of the shader of the car body and set up a reflection probe for realistic reflections. A free Asset I would recommend is Realtime Reflections (I know this is bad, but some advertisement of my products wouldn't hurt :p)
    • Vehicle AI: Hopefully you plan on including AI so that we can have some competition. I don't have any recommendations currently for Vehicle AI. IMO iRDS is too expensive, same goes for Ti Racing AI and Unity Racing Game Kit, Ai Driver Toolkit is featureless, Smart AICar doesn't include support for other vehicle physics platforms and is unrealistic. Which is why I'm currently building a Vehicle AI asset IntelliRacers (it's a WIP) which includes support for Edy's, UnityCar and Realistic Car Controller and decreases the amount of work required to set it up for a scene drastically. Please leave your comments/suggestions on its thread.
    It's a good start, a few improvements here and there are needed. Once they are done, should you think about porting the game to mobile ;)

Batman_831 likes this.
  14. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

First of all thanks @Sarthak123 I appreciate it!

@Evil Tak Thank you very much for your feedback!

• Graphics - I am working on the current bug! I spotted it a while ago when I tested in on multiple systems (including Mac) I hope with the basic knowledge of coding I know I can fix and optimize it. But thanks for pointing it out!
    • Camera - I know how terrible the current setup is, but school is getting in the way a bit so I've been a bit slow! I will create a new setup for the follow camera, and hopefully add an optimized orbit camera
    • Physics - I did have a look at some other kits but UnityCar stood out to me the most, simply because I don't want this to be another racing game, I want it parcially be a sim - almost like Forza or Project Cars
    • Shaders - I started off using the reflective shader from the UnityCar package - but I was trying to make the most of the standard shader. And I may think about getting your shader!
    • AI - I think that will be something I will add in later considering this is a pre alpha
    But thank you very much for your feedback! Oh and yeah sorry for the adf.ly o_O

Hopefully more builds can get released! I'm getting a wee bit carried away from the main game now

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  15. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Coming in 0.0.7
    • New UI - Abstract and minimalistic buttons and features
    • FollowCamera is vastly improved, added OrbitCamera (hold left mouse to move camera), revamped interior camera
    • Added pause menu

16. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

About the website - I am currently creating a new template and the current site is a placeholder

17. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

0.0.7 is being uploaded now!
    Download links will be available soon!

18. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Mac
    Windows

Please give feedback! It really helps and I appreciate it a lot!

19. GGElias

GGElias

Looks really cool and promising. The one thing that really didn't work for me, as someone mentioned earlier, is the camera being a child of the car. If you could setup a camera that follows the car, without actually rotating with it, that would be awesome.
    One thing I really liked is that, the way the game is setup, the skill cap seems to be very high. That's never a bad thing. Keep it up.

20. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Yup that was fixed in the update last night! Try 0.0.7. Thanks for your feedback!

21. GGElias

GGElias

That's more like it! Orbit camera for the win!
    I just saw some small bugs, that I'm sure you are aware (or maybe that's how it is supposed to be?):
    - With the camera in orbit mode, you are able to control the time of the day while turning the car, using "a" and "d";
    - Also, you can change the time of the day on the slider, using the mouse (maybe you did it for testing purposes? I would :D).

One suggestion I might have is to change the shift to Q and E or something. Z and X felt a tad out of place, at least for me.
    Good job in this update! Keep'em coming!

22. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Cheers for the awesome feedback!
    • I have realized that when the TOD slider is selected it can be controlled since the steering in on a horizontal axis - I'm taking the slider recieves inputs from the horizontal axis aswell
    • Yes I actually made this a feature so you can test out the TOD and headlight features!
    But thank you very much for your feeback! I really appreciate it!

23. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Coming in 0.0.8! PS - Expect this to be one of the last updates for the current alpha/techdemo
    I need to start making progress on the actual game.
    • Optimized graphics for people with lower end PC's - in the current "very low" and "low" setup I have realized it is still quite hard for some older/less powerful systems to handle
    • Fixed some UI bugs
    • I will get around to adding more settings to the pause menu and make a more minimalistic HUD - so there is less to look at.
    A quick question - Who would like to see a analogue or digital Tachometer (RPM Gauge) in the HUD? And also do you like the digital HUD? Or would you prefer a fully analogue one?

24. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

25. GGElias

GGElias

For me, I would go analog, since for most people it is quite satisfying seeing an actual needle move along :). But I think it really comes down to how precise you need the information to be. If you want/need the player to know precisely how fast he's going, the digital is more precise. Just keep that in mind.

26. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Cheers for that! I'll keep it in mind and I might even make an option for both:)

27. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

A little non finished map of what the world is going to be like
    The world will include
    • An ocean
    • Beaches
    • Cities
    • Smaller towns
    • Mountain ranges
    Please keep in mind that the map isn't going to be absolutely GIAGANTIC, I only can work on this project in my spare time.
    But the map is well under way and I will be working hard out to try and get this map out and maybe more cars!

Attached Files:

28. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

And sorry for the bad drawing. It's basically showing that there will be a main highway running through the whole map with lots of break off bits of road to spread out to small open pieces of road, where there hopefully can be missions, secret car spots and plenty more!

29. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Okay how would any of you think of this, I'm thinking of getting rid of UnityCar, seeing as the physics are very realistic, and maybe going towards Edy's physics, what would you like?

30. GGElias

GGElias

Honestly, it is up to you to find the perfect balance between realism and playability. In my area (first person puzzle games), for example, if I go for a realistic player jump, the games become unplayable. I realized quite early that we humans don't jump very well in real life :D. My best suggestion for you is to play test your game as much as you can in the early stages (when you are figuring out what tools to go on with). If there is someone close to you that can play your game, show him/her both versions of the car, and see which one is more satisfying for your play tester.
    I can play your new version, and give you my written feedback, but the best feedback you'll ever get is from watching someone's reaction while playing. I'm talking from experience.
    In the end, keep the updates coming, and I'll happily give my opinion (although I don't understand much about car physics in games lol).

31. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Thanks @GGElias , I'm still a bit confused on what to do - I may make the settings a bit more "arcadey" for a more enjoyable game, rather than a frustrating one

32. IAmCraigSnedeker

IAmCraigSnedeker

Go for what ever feels right for your game. There's no right or wrong choice. :p

33. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Seeing as I have been encountering many issues through the building of this app - I am redoing a lot of it, so there will be a few more features and I will get rid of a lot of un-needed code/issues, to get better performance and a more enjoyable/playable game

34. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

I have made a decision, I will get Randomation Vehicle Physics, for a enjoyable experience, expect a build to be released in around 24-48 hours

35. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

It's official, FREEDRIVE will be switching over to Randomation Vehicle Physics 2.0

Stay tuned for more updates

36. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Download the first build with RVP 2 here

37. GGElias

GGElias

Tested for only 5 min. I will be playing this more, maybe tomorrow. The car controls are a lot better, and that's very nice. Well done!

38. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Cheers! All thanks to RVP 2.0! It is just a very basic teaser, there will be more models and updates coming soon!

39. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

40. limitless776

limitless776

why cant i download this game? all i get is
    ADFLY???

41. doggiewaffles96

doggiewaffles96

Looks cool and worth trying. Keep the work up dude!

42. andypoo1

andypoo1

um Im not sure how to download the game, it gives me random downloads and would have a couple of viruses downloaded to my computer if I hadn't activated a antivirus on my computer.