Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question PC Webcam AR Game

Discussion in 'AR' started by JavierIzquierdoEsat, Apr 11, 2023.

1. JavierIzquierdoEsat

JavierIzquierdoEsat

I want to create a simple AR game, similar to ps2 eyetoy games, more precisely similar to lemmings.

I've been reading a while and AR Foundation seems to only work on android and iOS, I have also looked at vuforia, but it doesn't have body tracking which I think I need.

What I really need is real time 2D mask of a body, but I can't find a way to get that on unity. Does anyone know a way to get something like that?

2. CiaranWills

CiaranWills

Unity Technologies

Yes, AR Foundation is designed for supporting AR on mobile devices, not on PCs.

However for using a webcam you might find something useful on the Unity Asset Store.

3. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

To clarify further, Microsoft does not have an AR platform for Windows that we could use even if we wanted to. AR Foundation is a cross-platform abstraction of AR features but does not provide any implementations. Implementations are provided by platforms such as Google ARCore or Apple ARKit. For AR on Windows or Mac you are indeed in the realm of third-party solutions.

4. ta_timmmeh

ta_timmmeh

Well look who the cat drug in, hi Ciaran (it's Tim from Spotlight Stories) :p

@CiaranWills is a wizard!

I was just curious the current state of things in regard to this topic, I was always pushing ARCore team to create a desktop build, I think it will come at some point. But for now, OpenCV might be the way.
    OpenCV for Unity | Integration | Unity Asset Store

5. CiaranWills

CiaranWills

Unity Technologies

Hi Tim! We don't have any plans for that right now but it is possible to write your own providers - see the information about subsystems in the documentation.

ta_timmmeh likes this.