Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[PC] Sky Cannoneer, my spiritual successor to the arcade classic Rampart, is finally out!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by laessnb, Feb 21, 2020.

1. laessnb

laessnb

I'm so happy to release my solo studio's second indie game, Sky Cannoneer! I couldn't have done it without this community and without the wealth of tools at our disposal through Unity at its core as well as the massive asset store ecosystem (whether for script plugins or art/sound/music assets).

Store links for many more details:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141570/Sky_Cannoneer/
    https://www.gog.com/game/sky_cannoneer

I settled on 2018.4.2f1 to finish off the game, and plan to continue using that version as long as possible. Probably the most challenging aspect was making an AI that could play a Rampart-style game because there weren't any existing examples to draw from. I'd be happy to answer any questions about developing the game. Cheers!

2. Shaolin-Dave

Shaolin-Dave

Found this while searching for examples on the Rampart AI, specifically detecting if an area is enclosed or not.

It looks interesting, I think I’ll check it out later.

Have you considered Mac/Linux ports?

3. laessnb

laessnb

Haha yes, back then I searched all over the place and came up with practically nothing. To detect whether an area was enclosed, I did a series of flood fills across the entire terrain grid, marking areas as enclosed if their flood fill only hit walls and never hit a terrain boundary. And I marked boundary grid slots using a physics overlap onto a slightly scaled down version of the mesh collider for each of the game's islands.

Thank you -- let me know what you think if you do wind up trying it!

Yes, but the game didn't sell enough units to warrant any ports, unfortunately.

4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Got the original Arcade machine source code somewhere as I used it when I did the C64 version many years ago. Flood fill was used to determine if an area was enclosed.