Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PC shuts down when selecting Physically Based Sky in Unity 2019 3.4

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Chrikre, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Chrikre

Chrikre

Hi,

I've discovered a very specific problem in Unity 2019.3.4 HDRP.

As soon as I'm selecting a physically based sky my PC shuts down like it gets unplugged.

I can't start my PC again until I disconect it from electricity for 10 seconds.

This error is 100% reproducible, you can see it in the video below.

Has anyone else discovered this problem?

I'm asking myselfe if this could be a software problem of Unity or some Hardware starting to fail.

Info:
    Unity Version 2019 3.4
    CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390
    RAM: 16 GB

solkyoshiro and luispedrofonseca like this.
  2. Cpullma1

Cpullma1

I literally just had this happen to me, however I was able to apply the Physically Based Sky to my Sky and fog volume, and set it up in the lighting window. Whenever I try to play with any values, like the aerosol section, my computer just shuts off. So far I have reproduced this three times in a row and I don't know why this is happening.

Chrikre likes this.
  3. dgoyette

dgoyette

This seems pretty serious, and surprising. You should probably start by going into your Event Viewer, and see if there are some errors/crashes there that describe what might be going on. And if you haven't already, you should definitely report a bug on this.

4. mgear

mgear

run some memtest too https://www.memtest86.com/
    i had similar issue many years ago, BSOD that happened only with unity or so.. (it was faulty ram)

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I also ran into this? Making me think its an actual bug, have you reported it and if so what is the case ID?

6. Chrikre

Chrikre

Oh so I'm not alone
    which hardware do you have?

7. Chrikre

Chrikre

I get event 41 and 6008 but it basically just says that the System was shut down irregulary.
    And I don't really get any information out of the detail section o_O

Attached Files:

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi guys please file a bug report. Don't try to solve this yourselves. It's probably from a shader crashing the gpu driver or similar.

File a bug report don't bother trying to solve it.

UnityMaru likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Moved to HDRP forum.

UnityMaru likes this.
  10. Chrikre

Chrikre

So it's not the RAM I switched the RAM temporarily with some old RAM-sticks, same result

11. Chrikre

Chrikre

I will report the bug now

12. Chrikre

Chrikre

Case ID is 1227056

hippocoder likes this.
  13. konsic

konsic

PBS crashes with AMD drivers. It happened to me since HDRP 7.0.

Chrikre likes this.
  14. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Thanks for sending in the bug report, I'll send this post over as well.

hippocoder and UnityMaru like this.
  15. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Just from looking at the thread it seems to be AMD specific. More reports the better, might also be worth being clear in the reports to the specific AMD driver you are currently using.

hippocoder likes this.
  16. Cpullma1

Cpullma1

Here are my specs:

Unity Version 2019 3.4
    Intel Core i5 6600
    GTX 1070
    16 GB RAM

17. mgear

mgear

tested also, no crash, but just by playing with the hdrp template scene and settings, profiler shows total system memory usage going from 2gb > 17gb in just few minutes..

upload_2020-3-15_10-27-7.png

18. alexq4p3

alexq4p3

Click in an bool animator parameter cause laptop to shutdown immediately.
    Trying to delete a transition in animator tab also shutdown my laptop.

19. chisake

chisake

Updating parameters and exiting play mode can trigger a PC shutdown, likely due to GPU overload. Tweaking parameters even flickers my (IRL) lights... clearly the GPU is drawing a lot of power each time a setting change is processed. HDRP 2020.2.7f1

NVIDIA 461.81 Game Ready Driver
    GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

solkyoshiro likes this.
  20. Akeru

Akeru

HDRP shuts down my pc... randomly?

I tried to find what is causing the crash but found no relation with anything at all. Sometimes it crashes just when the projects opens, sometimes in 2~3min and sometimes I can stay 15min, but never longer than that.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700
    X470 Gaming Plus (MS-7B79)
    16gb DDR4
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

Unity 2020.3.1 / 2020.3.3 / 2020.3.5

Is there any solutions yet?

solkyoshiro likes this.
  21. altepTest

altepTest

GTX 750 is pretty old for HDRP while somehow still able to run projects made with HDRP, so you get the false impression that everything should work fine.

I'm saying this because I have a project that runs at around 80fps on a RTX 2060, I've created a build and it opens on cards even lower that 750 but the average fps is 1 fps. on a 940 is 2 fps

The game opens and runs on these cards but the performance is at minimum possible and is clear that it was not made for those types of cards.

as the HDRP description say when you create a project, this is a setup intended for high end machines.

I suggest using URP, it mostly looks similar and will work on older cards.

If your project needs features that are only available in HDRP then it is time for an upgrade. If not URP, is the choice. Don't use HDRP just because is an option and why not.

I know from experience that is hard to know what to use, I did the same mistake. If used HDRP just because I didn't understood the difference. Discovered it is complex and performance demanding, goes to URP, tough luck because URP doesn't have the stuff I need. Get back to HDRP :) but now I need to understand the complex system to squeeze performance out if it. But in the end the game will never run on older system, that is life.

My game needs SSS and pixel depth so I'm forced to use HDRP else I would had stayed out of it as is more complex and a pain to use.

In your case probably some combinations of drivers and features you have added to your project kills the GPU.

think at the GPU as a combination of different modules. HDRP may require 10 modules but you have only 9 of them as the GPu is old and that stuff was not included when it was made or even not invented yet. As long as HDRP doesn't need that module it may work fine, then when it needs it, it wants to access that module that doesn't exist, the GPU gets crazed, system goes bust.

is a plausible explanation. not the only one off course

iBoo-Mobile likes this.
  22. olavrv

olavrv

I switched from Nvidia to AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT, and the same thing started to happen (PC shut down under heavy GPU load). purchased a new PC 750w power supply, a bit better - but same thing happening every now and then.

Seems to be AMD related.

solkyoshiro likes this.
  23. solkyoshiro

solkyoshiro

I'm having the same issues with hard crashing, though it's not related to physically-based sky. Just HDRP as a whole.

Specs:
    AMD Ryzen 7 3800+
    64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4
    Geforce 2080 Ti