Search Unity

[PC] Scraps: Modular vehicle combat

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Nition, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yep this is an option. But I would try go further. Replace trees and build houses, or whatever equivalent, so it fits to envirement, but all made with scrap/building parts.

The world then will look very mechanised, but will stay in art style for sure.

You may need introduce few more parts, just to make such constructions more appealing.

You don't need trees. But you can have some industrial pylons, which has some imaginary purpose. I.e. with solar panels on top. Simple shapes and textures. modular, easier to assemble., et. At least it is, how I view it.

2. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Hi, thanks for the response!! I totally understand. I just started high school and have a little bit of skill and art as well. From what I can tell though the core concept of the game is incredible!! I haven't played the game yet but from videos and whatever, it looks great!! Have you seen simple planes? it looks like a battler form of that!
    Anyway, great game and concept and totally get the lack of an artist and the skills in general.

Actually, I have a tip. If you have an Apple or Android smartphone, there was an app released that allows you to do 3d scanning from your phone. I have been messing around with it and the 3d scanning is absolutely amazing!!! The app is called "display.land" I recommend you check it out. It may help with the art!

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Problem with scanning of 3D objects, is that they produce high resolution models, as accurate as it is scanned. But these models need go through further optimization process. Often they are not suitable for game purposes, as it is hard to optimize in such way. Is easier to make, or purchase alternative.

4. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

If you use modeling software it isn't difficult to decimate the mesh. I actually just scanned a tree with 3million faces and reduced it down to 300,000 faces. Also, he states that this game is for PC. Maybe he could try scanning car parts and just reducing the model some. Anyway, that does make sense that the optimization process would be there. This alternative may work. I don't really know though.

5. Nition

Nition

Yeah, you're kinda both right. It can take a lot of work to convert a scanned model to a game model, but it's still a potentially time-saving system. That wouldn't help with the problem that they'd look too realistic for the game style though.

6. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Yeah, that makes sense... Hmm. What kind of art style are you going for?

7. Nition

Nition

Good question! Basically what the vehicles look like. Low poly, but with a little more realism than what's maybe the more common low-poly look. Hard edged normals, and a slight black outline.

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yep. Well, I would definatelly try avoid mixing with realistic art. Is hard to get this right, and will suck your valuable time on visual aspects, rather than mechanics, which is more important for such type a game. Specially for solo developer.
    Such art can be later replace, when time comes and feel for a need.

9. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Ya. I would just stick to some 3d modeling skills. Anyway, the game looks great already so good job to you!!

10. Nition

Nition

I released Scraps v0.6.2.0 yesterday. This update adds a new world to Gauntlet mode, adding three more levels to Gauntlet in total, along with other fixes and improvements. It's getting there; there's only one more proper Gauntlet world to do, plus a final boss kind of level.

- Added a new Gauntlet world, bringing the current total to eleven levels over five worlds
    - Adjustments to existing Gauntlet systems. Earlier worlds are a little easier.
    - Gauntlet game mode now automatically saves and allows the player to continue from the start of some worlds
    - Gauntlet mode AI cars are now disabled when far away, as a performance consideration
    - Can now see Gauntlet world info on the pause (Esc) screen
    - Wreckage in Gauntlet mode can now be collected immediately with no delay (Melee mode still has a delay so others have a chance to grab it)
    - Slightly increased weapon costs for laser and medium cannon
    - (Kickstarter backers) Tesla Device now prioritises enemy targets above non-enemy ones like crates
    - (Kickstarter backers) Tesla Device now ignores proximity firing mode (can keep shooting in all directions)
    - Some adjustments to GUI fonts and layout
    - Improvements to weapon hit forces, and reduced them overall
    - Increased HP by around 15% on all cockpits and chassis types
    - Laser weapons now have a SLIGHT inaccuracy, still highly accurate
    Bug Fixes:
    - Fixed the bug where skidmarks could join incorrectly, causing a big straight line across the map
    - Game mode select buttons no longer animate if a dropdown is open
    - Fixed dropdowns staying open in the background when pressing Esc to close UI
    - Fixed AI in Gauntlet mode not following their patrol points in the correct order
    - AI is better at transitioning from one patrol point to the next
    - Time spent paused no longer counts towards Gauntlet level completion time
    - Much reduced the jittering that often happened when a vehicle ended up on its side
    - Fixed a couple of bugs with AI pathing

11. Nition

Nition

Gauntlet mode is finally done! There are seven worlds to fight through while upgrading your vehicle to fight increasingly difficult enemy vehicles, turrets and drones.

A few screenshots; Scraps isn't the most beautiful game but it sure looks a lot better than it did a few years ago:

Scraps itself is now almost done as well. I'll make another post in the next few days that will detail what's still to come. Much of it is actually already done in a separate branch, so we're not too far off now. What a journey.

0.7.0.0:
    - All seven Gauntlet worlds are now available. Gauntlet mode is complete
    - Added Gauntlet mode option to test a vehicle build before deploying to the next level
    - Gauntlet high score list now automatically slots in high scores from any of your Steam friends
    - Small Capacitor is now unlocked from the start
    - Drone enemies shoot a bit more accurately
    - Barrels and ExplodeBalls do a bit less max damage (same damage radius, and same force though)
    - Did a balance pass on all weapons, various changes, nothing crazy
    - Disabled edit and new vehicle options when selecting a vehicle for an AI player in the lobby. Fixes the human player's vehicle selection getting cleared as well
    - Gauntlet progress now saves at the end of a world as well as when deploying into the next one, so if you quit during Build you'll still be able to continue
    - Gauntlet mode no longer stores scores of 0 on the leaderboard
    - Gauntlet mode saves now only permanently store the highest score achieved using that particular save on the leaderboard
    - Increased the range from which AI will start shooting, some other minor AI tweaks
    - Clearing progression no longer clears unlocked cosmetics. Particularly important as the "Alpha Crown" for completing Gauntlet mode while it was still in development is no longer possible to earn
    - Increased max suspension spring setting from 62500 to 80000
    Bug Fixes:
    - Plasmanator now ignores proximity firing mode, so moving out of the radius doesn't cancel a held charge
    - Clearing user data or progression in the game options now clears Gauntlet saved progress as well
    - Leaving Gauntlet mode from the Build screen now goes to the Gauntlet end-game screen instead of straight to the main menu
    - AI vehicles now try a lot harder not to drive off the cliffs on Gauntlet Wind
    - Improved AI aim calculation with projectile weapons vs. moving vehicles
    - Fixed transparent shader rendering order issues, particularly laser weapons appearing to be behind grass
    - Fixed smoke damage FX decreasing with health lost instead of increasing
    - Fixed a couple of bugs with how AI drives in close combat
    - Fixed a bug with AI close combat where cars could think they were stuck on what should be good ground
    - Fixed audio bug when using multiple Plasmanators

12. Nition

Nition

Here's a post I made on the Scraps website today covering the upcoming full release of Scraps.

----

The Final Steps

Scraps has been in development for a long time. I started this game in late 2012, working full time. I had originally hoped to get an initial version out by mid-2013. When it took longer than that, I ran a Kickstarter campaign in late 2013. It was relatively successful and kept things going.

In late 2014 I had multiplayer working and showed Scraps at PAX Australia. In mid-2015 it released to Early Access on Steam after making it through the Steam Greenlight process (remember that?).

In early 2016 things were really taking longer than I had hoped, and since the multiplayer servers were usually empty, I decided to work on a new singleplayer mode named Gauntlet that would make the game a much more worthwhile purchase even without an active playerbase.

In late 2016 Scraps was taking much longer to complete than I had initially hoped, especially with the new Gauntlet mode, and Scraps sales never did very well. I reluctantly picked up another full-time job to provide an income, knowing that it would only prolong the trek to complete Scraps even further. I was very lucky to land a job making games at Facepunch Studios, and I continued to work on Scraps in the free time I had remaining, usually around an hour a day during the week.

I never stopped working on it, and Gauntlet mode was recently - finally - released in full. It's got seven worlds to fight through against enemy vehicles, turrets, and drones, all while upgrading your vehicle. More content than I originally planned, and the levels you fight through are a bit different every time.

What's Still Coming

Within the next few weeks I'll be releasing Scraps out of Early Access and it'll be done for real. The main thing that's coming in that update are a couple of additional maps for Melee mode:

Desert road is set up like a simple racetrack, just as an additional option to play around with.

Cold Hill a king-of-the-hill type layout, with the spawns at ground level but the only evac pad located on the hilltop.

What's not coming

I've been working on Scraps for over eight years now. I wanted to get it finished and I have, both because you and others have paid good money for it, and because I'd always be disappointed in myself if I didn't, just like I would have been if I'd never taken the risk and started. But I need to have it done. It's been eight years of always feeling like I should be working on it, never really getting a break. I haven't let it consume my life - I've seen how that road goes for other indies. But I haven't started any side projects. I stopped recording music. I've done what I can but it's time to move on.

So, I don't like to say it but two major features that I said would go in at some point are cut:

Team Melee - Intended to be a two-sides version of Melee mode. With the lack of multiplayer interest, this isn't too much of a loss anyway.

Tank Tracks - It would be a major undertaking to add additional propulsion types beyond wheels at this point. I'm really sorry that this one isn't making it in, but if it's any consolation I don't think it would have made a major difference to gameplay.

I think Gauntlet mode (which was never originally promised) adds a lot to the game. I hope that helps make up for the missing bits above.

Some questions you might have

Here are a few more general answers.

Q: Will Scraps still be updated after it leaves Early Access?
    A: Game updates no, bug fixes yes. I intend to fix any major bugs and issues that come up for at least the next six months. The only exception to that will be if something external like an operating system update causes a bug at the game engine level, as the version of the Unity engine that Scraps runs on is very old at this point and requires a massive amount of work to update to the latest. Of course, an update like that that breaks Scraps would likely also break many other existing games, so hopefully that doesn't happen.

Q: What if Scraps becomes popular though and starts making money? It's not even out of Early Access yet - how do you know it's failed? And what about marketing?
    A: Almost always, Early Access performance is a strong indicator of post-release performance. It's very unusual for a game to be small in Early Access but get a big release. Usually an Early Access launch is basically the real release launch.
    So I'm not expecting much. I could do a big marketing push at release like I did in the early days, which may help or it may not (these days good marketing depends on a lot on things like getting through to big-name streamers, more than just paying to advertise somewhere). But I need to move on now, whatever happens. I think the final result is good, I'm proud of my little game, and it's something I always wanted to make.

When I started Scraps the landscape was very different. I'd been waiting a long time for a game with buildable cars like this and there was nothing. Then soon after I started, Robocraft came out, and now in 2020 "buildable vehicle combat games" is pretty much a genre unto itself. Robocraft, TerraTech, Besiege, Crossout which looks incredibly similar in concept to Scraps. I was banking on the unique gameplay to be a major selling point and in the end it was one of many, which lost its selling power to a great extent. Oh well. At least we now have plenty of games in this genre to try, I always knew it'd make an excellent premise.

Q: Will the price increase at release?
    A: No, and I'll do a pretty steep launch discount. If it gets a few players on the multiplayer servers for a while it'll be good for everyone.

Q: What are you going to work on next?
    A: Something different, finally.

Thank You

I'm sure I'll say this again at release in a few weeks, but thank you for contributing to Scraps and coming along for the ride. I'm sorry it's taken so long to get here but I'm happy to have made something from my imagination that people really enjoy. This was my first real game project and I think some things (especially semi-authoritative physics-based multiplayer networking) only got done because I didn't know yet that they should be impossible. It's been quite a journey.

13. Nition

Nition

Well, this has been a long time coming. Scraps is released, finished, done! I'll continue to support major bug fixes or issues if they come up for at least the next six months.

- Added two new Melee mode maps: Desert Road and Cold Hill
    - Added gold/silver/bronze/spiked Kickstarter reward items
    - Added icons next to player label for Kickstarter backers at Knight and Master And Commander level
    - Added free repair time at the build screen after Gauntlet Final to the point where it should always provide full repairs
    - Had to clear existing local Gauntlet leaderboard scores due to code changes. Sorry!
    - Added slight randomness to the vehicle's position after an automatic flip over
    - Vehicle flip action now checks to make sure it won't be teleporting through a wall
    - Flipping your vehicle while inside a building no longer teleports you to the roof
    Bug Fixes:
    - Physics objects (crates, barrels) now interpolate their position, don't look jittery
    - AI is now less confused by buildings
    - Fixed collision bugs on Gauntlet Earth retaining walls
    - Fixed container lid not showing up on Build screen
    - Fixed evac pad ramp sticking out of terrain on Test Map
    - Fixed Medium Cannon and Medium Cannon Turret invisible polygons on the base

I posted a bit of a look back at the history of Scraps on scrapsgame.com here: http://www.scrapsgame.com/scraps-v1-0-0-0