Search Unity

PC Requirements

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bigbrainz_legacy, Apr 8, 2006.

1. bigbrainz_legacy

bigbrainz_legacy

I've been trying to find where you specify what the minimum system requirements are to run a Unity game on a PC:

CPU, RAM, DirectX, OS, Graphics Card?

For example, our current engine requires a 450Mhz, 128MB RAM, 98-XP, 9.0c, and a 16MB graphics card. Do you know what the limitations are for Unity on older PCS or is it still just trial and error?

Thank you so much!!

2. aigam

aigam

/OFFTOPIC

A 16 mb card and 9.0c? O_O

/END OFFTOPIC

I think that requeriment must be very similar to mac requeriments, as they use opengl...

3. bigbrainz_legacy

bigbrainz_legacy

The 9.0c requirement allows them to range up to lots of cool effects for modern systems, but the low hardware requirement still allows them to reach down to junky systems--since DirectX is just a free download.

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

At the moment Windows Unity Player runs on:
    Windows 2000 or higher
    Windows XP or higher

If Windows 98 and Windows ME support is important to you please tell me, we can look into supporting it.
    According to recent surveys the number of Windows 98/me users is drastically dropping and now below 5% though.

128 mb of ram are required.

There are no other requirement for installed software.
    Of course a new OpenGL driver helps but is by no means necessary.

5. jeremyace

jeremyace

Semi off-topic,
    Don't support Windows ME! ME is extremely buggy and a generally horrible OS. Win98 is different, as there are still some people using it, but ME is not worth it. I belive microsoft threw together ME to fill up the time it took to make Win2000 to give people something to buy. Terrible.

Lol, just my 2 cents...
    -Jeremy

6. bigbrainz_legacy

bigbrainz_legacy

Right now our customers are roughly split as follows:

XP=80%
    98=10%
    Mac=10%

So Windows 98 is just as important to us as the Mac version. However, both OS's are much more significant than these numbers would imply because the majority of public schools in the US are on either 98 or Mac, and they are HUGE customers. We anticipate that more than half our revenue will go to 98 and Mac platforms.

With that in mind I don't think we would be able to switch fully to the Unity engine until we could get a version that could work with 98. So if you could strongly consider working 98 into the technology base that would wonderful and vital to us.