Search Unity

PC/Mac/Linux - Regarding window mode, focus, cursor capture, etc

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by AlwaysSunny, Feb 18, 2015.

1. AlwaysSunny

AlwaysSunny

Some time ago, I read about what mode (windowed, borderless, fullscreen) users on each platform tend to prefer, and why. Also whether capturing the cursor is preferred, how to manage application focus, and other party-line preferences related to this topic.

I'm prepared to invest the time required to cater to [at least the most critical among] those preferences, but now I can't seem to relocate the source(s) of this information, so I feel a little blind.

My inclination is to present all three "windowed-mode" options in a settings menu at runtime, along with a selection of detected, supported resolutions / refresh rates. Can I & Should I?

About capturing the cursor - the game's nature (top-down RTS) doesn't require me to lock the cursor. I hide the cursor, but display one with UI elements. Is this all copacetic? Require any additional thought?

As far as application focus goes, and stuff like, whether the cursor can escape the window, I'm clueless as to anyone's preference. Do I need to attend to this at all, or does Unity handle this for me?

A big thank-you for any guidance,