Search Unity

Games (PC) Jurassic Extinction (Released)

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 29, 2019.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heya Guys! Jurassic Extinction is now released (for free, link below). JE a FPS/Simulation for PC, developed from my passion for dinosaurs, with the following features:
    • Over 20 species of dinosaurs to encounter and kill.
    • 8 levels and a ending level, with different settings (night, day, rainy, etc.).
    • 4K texture support/high end GFX.
    • Advanced AI (aggro, detection, and chase support).
    Note: Most of the earlier posts have pics missing, some are out of date, etc. All videos are intact. Page 17 and 18 have lots of info and guides on JE gameplay.

Enjoy! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cNW_8eBPP8_rJYEqzOrATZ08dAAjQj0a/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Antypodish and jbb1979 like this.
  2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ive decided that instead of a private release of this project, ill be stripping away all JP references (due to IP) and going for a public release game. Im currently taking some Unity Courses for the next few nights, (sorry for late update), so ill post the game info/story/title now, and will update frequently on website and here as time allows:

Story:
    In jurassic park someone was trying to buy dino embryos/dna, in jurassic world fallen kingdom, some dinosaurs were sold off and trucked out of the lockwood estate. There is a multi-billionaire behind these events, with the sole purpose of creating his own dino sanctuary, and has now done so. His name is Omar Khoury. Omar bought an island called Isla Pinta, west of ecuador.
    Mission:
    You, a para military soldier, have been givin the task of recovering any embryos/dna possible from the operations center in the north west of the island, and kill as many dinosaurs as possible by any means necessary. You will be flown in to the drop off point on the southwest part of the island.
    Evironment:
    There are NO FENCES, NO PERSONEL to aid you. You will have ample weapons and etc. on you, you will scavenge other weapons from Omars military you kill, or find in buildings, etc. Once the mission is complete, to leave the island, you must board the ship at the NE dock.... or radio us if possible...thats IF you survive... welcome to Jurassic Extinction!

Im sure ill need a bit of help here and there, and opinions, and will post as such, as needed. :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    jbb1979 likes this.
  3. warthos3399

warthos3399

After my training tonight i had some time to start on assets, the operations center, a heavaly modified version of the visitors center (interior and exterior), textures, and modeling, much more to do. Just some info, this is a 2048 x 2048 terrain derived from USGS data, imported as .raw, and textured (was thinking of using Mudbox or world machine). At this terrain res/size, i dont think i need to worry too much about terrain slicing, even with the last version with many trees and assets, performance was pretty good, and with a jurassic type setting (fog, LOD etc.) i think ill be ok. The island isnt big or small, with correct scale of things, will work out well. Been using Dvornik's plug-in for terrain slicing, but for some reason with this terrain i get alot of console errors, not sure if its compatability issue or not, as i use 2018.4.2f1 (LTS build), LTS builds are far better than non LTS builds. (less compile errors)

Any community thoughts or opinions?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    jbb1979 likes this.
  4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Brachy/bronto area
    August 1, 2019 By warthos3399 No comments
    After training tonight, i had a chance to start the Brachy/bronto area, using SpeedTree trees, automatic LOD’s per distance, lovin it, lol. Alpha screenshot, as bushes, dead foliage, rocks, and more need to be added.

Im going to build base map areas (or dino areas) one at a time then fill in the rest of the terrain. This and much more have sped up the project, as dinos will be added real soon, as “open world” story means no building countless electric fences, or other jurassic park related material.

jbb1979 likes this.
  5. warthos3399

warthos3399

Started the Brachy area (trees, grass, rocks, and configured the water), and started the operations center (only place with fences), added hummers, fences, and some building textures...so much work to do, lol.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    jbb1979 likes this.
  6. warthos3399

warthos3399

Roughed out the east dock tonight (escape point)...will change..but good base...

jbb1979 and owlhowell like this.
  7. warthos3399

warthos3399

Spent a while this morning getting the 2 types of Hummer H1's that Omar's military will use (not the same as the ones in the above screenshot), in game...

xplicitgreek69 and jbb1979 like this.
  8. warthos3399

warthos3399

From tonights work, added in the heliocopter to the operations center (scaled), and a friend showed up! (current model, testing)…

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  9. owlhowell

owlhowell

Good call removing Jurassic Park references. I know it’s WIP but you gotta fix that neon grass lol. Mudbox is simple enough. Unity has sculpting tools (but maybe that’s just a terrain tool...) I look forward to seeing more with this project

jbb1979 and warthos3399 like this.
  10. warthos3399

warthos3399

Big thnx, yea the grass is on the "to do" list, love Mudbox, but ive had some import probs, know a "work around", but your right, the unity sculpting tools are terrain based tool, love your project, Centroid, brings back alot of memories.. :)

Lwynn and jbb1979 like this.
  11. warthos3399

warthos3399

Had a chance to get the grass color and texture done today, looks much better…

jbb1979 and owlhowell like this.
  12. owlhowell

owlhowell

Grass is looking great! I checked out your website. You have done a lot of work in very little time! Awesome! Do you work with a team?

I’m glad Centroid brings back memories. We were definitely shooting for that nostalgic feel.

jbb1979 and warthos3399 like this.
  13. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thnx again owlhowell, its just me dev'ing the game, im in a fortunate position where if im not at my reg job, im dev'ing, nights and weekends. Tonight i set up all the grass for the entire island...lookin pretty good. And yes, i grew up in the days of Galaxian, Space Invaders, Centerpede etc., so i appreciate a game like that, very good job! You nailed it!

Kinda scared myself tonight, earlier was setting up AI for the dinos, and forgot that the brachy was still in game, was running around the map to check things, and saw something out of the "corner of my eyesight" and there she was, right in my face!. Almost fell out of my chair, lol

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    SuperfedeXD and jbb1979 like this.
  14. Antypodish

Antypodish

Nice looking scenery.

But here is major flow in your project.
    You focus so much on placing graphical assets, and you have actually 0 of working anything. You started your project from wrong stick end. You should have first something working. Like prototype, where you can move around, do something, ensure your game play is actually fun. Then and only then, look on placing actual models.

Chances are, by the time you finish your game, your graphical assets will be already old and look outdated. Also, tech will move on.

chillcarrier and jbb1979 like this.
  15. warthos3399

warthos3399

Actually i do have:
    1) a good base story line
    2) the "fun" as you call it is implimented, as this is a WIP, everything is done in "phases", 1st the environment, 2nd is the "set up" of the project, and final phase is the actual "gameplay"
    3) as this is a WIP project by myself, i can only dev so fast, if your implying that the rate of dev time and content is too slow, theres not much i can do about that.
    4) though i love input from vets such as yourself, as i can learn from anyone, and is welcomed, i know where im at, and know my "time frame", im doing the best i can with what i have.

No one is going to "rain on my parade"...thnx for the constructive critisism, your input/insight is accepted, your work and your contributions to the community are honorable, but i must drive on...do you blame me?. Know exactly what your saying, but im not stopping, as all things take time, and i have plenty of it...

jbb1979 likes this.
  16. Antypodish

Antypodish

These are your words. I haven't said anything in this content.
    It will take you, however long it will take you. But codding part is long process. So far you haven't shown us any functional part, other than few static sceneries. My point is, when you start implement coding parts, plus debuging, plus game play testing, etc., this is long process. For such game, will be many month at easy. Even with ready assets.
    Unless you got some of gameplay written already.

You mentioned:
    Show us what you got so far. Make some short video (s), showcasing current game play state. Make your audience excited for your game. This also is good for your marketing. Screenshot and words tells us very little. 2 months is nothing in terms of development duration. Until then, I will be rather skeptical about realistic plan of beta, or even alpha in 2 months time.

I wouldn't call myself vet. Is rather far from :) But other than that, it is completely fine.
    What I would expect, is to see validation, of expected time frame. Is not the first project here on the forum, with high scope and nice graphics, which end up crushed by codding part. Placing random 3D assets on the map is rather easy. Just saying. I would be happy, to prove me wrong ;)

If you manage to pull some playable alpha with some fun mechanics in 2 months that will be great.

I am not blaming you for anything. Just saying.

Thats very good. I am not implying you to stop. In fact, push it hard onward. But the fact you will need time, is one for sure. Lots of time. Probably more than you may anticipate.

Other than that, all best and wish lots of patience.

warthos3399 likes this.
  17. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes its going to take longer than i anticipated, so im going to take your good advice, im not going to update till the game is further along and have more to show. Thnx for your input, much appreciated :)

jbb1979 and Antypodish like this.
  18. owlhowell

owlhowell

Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has them and most of ‘em stink. There is truth to SOME of Antypodish’s comments. Regardless, do what you know and keep posting updates.

19. Antypodish

Antypodish

Definitely agree with that.

jbb1979, warthos3399 and owlhowell like this.
  20. warthos3399

warthos3399

Very good then..:) Added in 2 brachyosaurs last night, got them configured (AI), they feed, drink, run in packs/herds, etc. They are in a open area with foliage on the sides and a lake to drink from, they still need work, but are at least in. short piece of footage...

21. warthos3399

warthos3399

I have to say this, cause its really been on my mind..maybe you guys can help. Sound....theres big controversy over what they really sounded like.....ive studied up on this. Now, i have a very large collection of dinosaur sounds (species, general, etc.). So...do i set sound up as whats in jurassic park, or do i set it up as what current scientists latest data suggests?

jbb1979 likes this.
  22. Antypodish

Antypodish

Probably I would go toward modern directions.

There will be a lot speculations still.
    But if you think about it, and look into birds for example, they look like many known dinosaurs.
    So for example, I remember from years ago velociraptors without hair, or feathers. And including Jurassic Park series. But then, more modern discoveries / science indicated, many of dinosaurs could have actually some early to advanced feathers.

I am not claiming accuracy for this video, but see what I mean. I find it interesting (Not that is new to me).

For game purposes, depends weather you want to go for accuracy, or just fun game play, is up to you. Feather also add complexity to models. However on other hand, may make game more interesting.

Now back to sounds.
    Similarly, weather you want scientific accuracy, or fun gameplay (sounds more dangerous). Probably still speculative which is more correct. Consider which audience you target at as well.

However, you need probably consider, what is easier to get and implement. You don't want spend too much time fussing about with sounds / feathers :) Make sure, you can later replace such elements, if require.

Another aspect is, how much similar / different you want make game, to existing games. If is too similar, it may be less competitive / appealing. In the end, we got quite few games with dinosaurs on the market already.

Katniss218, jbb1979 and warthos3399 like this.
  23. warthos3399

warthos3399

Excelent answer, per your reference, the logical answer is to go with more current scientific base, so it adds more accuracy, but retains the "fun aspect"...i like that idea...

SuperfedeXD, jbb1979 and Antypodish like this.
  24. warthos3399

warthos3399

Tonights work, added Dilophosaurus, and Parasaur, also did work on terrain to areas that the player wont have acccess to, these areas will be for expansion/DLC content. Please note, per Antypodish's answer (see above), most models will be updated/changed at a later date with more acurate ones, lovin the idea :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    jbb1979 likes this.
  25. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ahh, someone noticed...yes i have "lowered" the grass height, it creates a "scattered" effect, some spots no grass, etc. Remember always check the official website for detailed info.,..

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    SuperfedeXD and jbb1979 like this.
  26. warthos3399

warthos3399

Just a small update, but big for dev:
    Tonight ive added the "gametrail", this trail/path is what gamers will follow in order to encounter all species on the island, and ends at the operations center. Now i can start adding in foliage and setting areas up, as i now know what dinos will be where. Also added were the following species, they are not scaled yet or have AI, as that will be done tomorrow night or this coming weekend:
    Triceratops
    Pteranodon
    Stegosaurus
    Ankylosaurus
    Compsognathus
    Spinosaurus
    Dimetrodon
    Ovi Raptor
    Raptor
    T-Rex
    Heres a screenshot of the gametrail in the Brachy area:

Once scaling and AI are done (for the added species), then i can record a video of a "runthrough" of the island...will be a busy weekend, lol

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    jbb1979 likes this.
  27. warthos3399

warthos3399

An update to the website, but...ill be posting vids and exclusive content here...
    Sorry to say but its at that point in the project that i have to stop showing too much of the game, or it will ruin the surprises and basicly the game itself. I will be posting updates, but not of "major" content. Some people like my grandson, close family and select friends (and alpha/beta testers) will see it all. To date there are 13 species added, and i still have many more to add. Its at the point where dinos are killing each other (for food, as they have to eat) and the dino artificial intelligence (AI) is working awesome, they eat, drink, sleep, attack and alot more, a living environment.
    I added in the Spineosaurus tonight, which is the LARGEST dino that lived (bigger than t-rex) and hes awesome...he attacked a t-rex tonight and ate him, lol. Heres a shot...

(Updates will follow, im actually ahead of schedule...but games of this scope and size take about a year to go to release.) Welcome to Jurassic Extinction!

jbb1979 likes this.
  28. warthos3399

warthos3399

Tonights work was mostly scale and placement, scale wasnt too bad, as im going between reality and fiction (JP), AI is working great, no console errors, and performance is spot on, so far, codeing hasnt been too bad, mostly modification to existing code. LOD trees have helped greatly. Adding in my Titanoboa model didnt work so well, might have to re-do the animations.

jbb1979 likes this.
  29. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, what i CAN show you from tonights work is a new ground texture for the "gametrail", and the Parasaur's are now working (AI), also new rock texture (no longer black looking), very realistic. And FYI, the Velociraptors and Oviraptors are VERY Nasty! They killed me twice in-game cause i was too close, lol You will love them :)

owlhowell likes this.
  30. warthos3399

warthos3399

Got alot done this weekend (mostly foliage) looking real good, also set up collision detection for all "active" dinos… 1st of all, the final version of trees have been added (palms and kapok), though the texture colors will be modified. Parasaurs are fully working (AI), and the latest edition Raptors. So much to do, lol. Next to be configured/set up is T-Rex, Triceratops, and Spineosaurus. Heres some shots of Brachy and raptor areas…

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    metaldc4life and jbb1979 like this.
  31. jbb1979

jbb1979

Have you seen this awesome time sculpt in Blender of Indoraptor > >

warthos3399 likes this.
  32. jbb1979

jbb1979

OMG OMG You're awesome ! ! :D

warthos3399 likes this.
  33. jbb1979

jbb1979

I think you might consider Dramatic effect Or, ' Coolness ', Because it's Supposed to a game, not a Documentary, But o-kay . ..

warthos3399 likes this.
  34. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, your game is looking great, my advice start watching tutorials of things you'll need and, mix in with time doing fun stuff, making the island, planning locations, that whole lot - -

That way, you get the boring work done and, have fun while doing it - - Plus, Lots of Redbull - -

Your game looks fantastic, the animations are nice and, it's almost like Jurassic Park movies, you get 9 of 10 stars, from me ! !$

You know what I'd suggest, like a hero like Indiana Jones Or, Lara Croft, but a man, he's sort of a paleontologist and, goes hunting for stuff among dinosaurs, I don't know story for how he meets them, but maybe he went back in time, by accident, is stuck in Dinosaur world and, must find way back - - He only has his out-doors clothes but, he plays like Nathan Drake in The Uncharted, so it's Indianasaurus ' Drake ' Jones - -

Your game looks fantastic and, it's a Master-piece . .

thu 892452.jpg

- --

warthos3399 likes this.
  35. jbb1979

jbb1979

Imagine if you got send back to Dinosaur times, and Didn't know how to get back Like, you Got there by Accident - -

Maybe at work, they work with limited time displacement, like a week and, you're a scientist, by accident, there's a malfunction and, you're sent 65 million years back and, no one under-stands how, it's a short circuit - -

But, even though you're a nerdy scientist, you become like Indiana Jones And, Learn to survive - -

I always wondered if that happened to me, what I would do, it's Power-ful story And, Campaign - -

Surviving amongst dinosaurs, I Wondered ever since I saw Jurassic Park, we need a Dinosaur-Survival-Hunting game - - Intro like Half-life game, There's an Accident, Suddenly, in Another dimension Or, Time

dinos7823523.jpg

warthos3399 likes this.
  36. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thanks so much for the kind words, and yes story line and "fun" is already planned out very well, with intro, cutscenes and etc. and ideas are welcome. But things are done in "phases", with a game like this environment is foremost important at this phase, LOD models, draw calls, textures per model, so much to do. The actual gameplay is coming soon, cant wait, but look at these 2 comparative shots, only about a month apart, and you can see the big difference...im impatient myself, but have to pace myself, lol, this is the brachy area a month ago, and now:

Night and day difference... Alot is planned for gameplay, just have to get there, lol.

Antypodish and jbb1979 like this.
  37. jbb1979

jbb1979

Your game deserves the best treatment, you should get Unity Learn Premium And, maybe even Get help directly, from Unity - - Yours Could be A Real classic - -

warthos3399 likes this.
  38. jbb1979

jbb1979

I would like to play your game, but there Needs to be a Cool story - - I Really like the idea of Some-one working at like NASA and, they try to do some Crazy research and, An Accident, you wake up 65 Million years ago - - Maybe an Experimental Space-bending Engine, that mis-fires - -

If it was an astronaut or, Better a NASA Aerodynamics Engineer <3

Wolfgang Tyler Peterson, Pehaps ?

One minute you're working as an engineer, on an experimental worm-hole drive, next minute you're 65 million years ago

NASA 235256.jpg

NASA 29355.jpg

NASA 2935235.jpg

warthos3399 likes this.
  39. jbb1979

jbb1979

If that was the story, I'd buy it, it would be super scary and, Good - - close, to Dead space 1 <3

Omg, if you did that, you'd have a hit - - <3 <3 $

NASA 78246.jpg

You should ask others to help, maybe, so you have mechanic, you can climb on dinosaurs - - OMG, if you Could tame the plant- eaters And, ride on them, to defeat Meat-eaters And, get your Gear back And, Go home - -§

A mixture of Half-life 1 And, Crysis 3 - -$

warthos3399 likes this.
  40. jbb1979

jbb1979

If you could get to the level of ADAM And, Heretic Unity looks, you could have a Real Smash - hit ! !

It could become a Franchise - -

In the sequel, it's a woman that goes back, like Tomb Raider - - Or, in the Second sequel - -

Character design, Dinosaur design, Environment design - -$ You're, Sitting on Gold - --

Call it " Teeth and Jungle - The Descent " X X§

warthos3399 likes this.
  41. Antypodish

Antypodish

@jbb1979 sure, is nice to expect and see AAA quality. However no offence, but I will stop you here.
    What you propose, Adam demo, Crysis etc., that are experienced multi person teams, with resources.
    Op need weight own capabilities and available mans power.

Is easy to flood with thoughts and ideas.
    Then need narrow it down and stick to them. Otherwise you will spread too thin and chances are, ending up with tons of bugs.
    Implementing even small % of goals, is highly challenging that is complete different cup of tea.

@jbb1979 you may be good in 3D graphics, but don't forget, you ain't got programming experience. And that is part, which takes humongous chunk of time, in game dev. Many starts from nice graphics and soon end their game dev journey, once they hit programming part (wall). This is where collaborations can be useful. One makes models, other program, another one sounds etc.

42. jbb1979

jbb1979

Very Good points But, this Game is Excellent - -

43. warthos3399

warthos3399

Antypodish is correct, need to stay focused (dont spread yourself thin), and do things in stages, and expect things to take longer than anticipated. I have alot done in a short period of time, but theres just so much to do its insane. All in due time.

Another community member gave me some great advice before i started this project, and ive followed it, and its working for me, as you see. Right now im concentrating on the evironment and animal AI (stage 1), im about 60% done, and thats in 7 weeks time, not bad.
    I have the help and support of other Dev's (that i personally know), friends, family and the great community here, im in good hands.

The project is going well and is actually blowing up on facebook, to the point that i have to spend an hour a day answering questions, messages and etc. everyday. With the recent videos and SS of the latest work, hell im getting pretty damn excited, as i see and know whats coming and what it will be. But still not a good idea to show too much, or give away secrets of the game, it ruins the surprises and game to come.

My next biggest thing in stage 2 is going to be systems, FPS, NPC AI, day and night cycles, fog, lighting, particle effects, post processing and more, thats when the real fun starts. Gotta get back to work, might post and update tonight, not sure :)

owlhowell, Antypodish and jbb1979 like this.
  44. jbb1979

jbb1979

Your game looks amazing, do what Feels natural And, also Finish it, If possible - -

warthos3399 likes this.
  45. warthos3399

warthos3399

It Will go to release...Some great foliage/tree work tonight, this is the area leading to the raptors (still needs plants and shrubs), loving the look :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  46. warthos3399

warthos3399

I started the "player start" area with foliage/trees tonight, as well as the t-rex/spineosaurus area, and im ahead of schedule...so far. Something on my mind you guys might have ideas about...pteranodons...they are a flying species, which means ill need a script/particle effect based system in place for them. I have options available, but i have a feeling where they are a flying species that they may be the biggest challenge as far as set-up/functionality, more than any of the other dinos. Any input? Advice?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  47. jbb1979

jbb1979

If you make so they only fly you can just give them a constant off-set from the terrain, so they are always high up - - I bet flying animations are a Night-mare ? Man, It's looking good, Keep working on it, I Just might Buy it - -

48. Antypodish

Antypodish

@warthos3399 just to let you know, in case you are not aware, that videos are not accessible for people without facebook account.

warthos3399 likes this.
  49. warthos3399

warthos3399

Corrected, set up the youtube channel :)

Antypodish likes this.
  50. warthos3399

warthos3399

Alot of work done tonight, The following species are set up (AI):

Compy
    Ankylosaur
    Dimetrotodon
    Dilophosaur
    Pteranodon (yes flying, diving, etc. got it done!)
    Oviraptor
    Pachycephalosaur

Also got alot of the vegetation done, and the southern area is now started, Heres a few shots of that area: