Search Unity

Games (PC) Isle Of Carnage

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think Unity forum maybe reducing size?
    Something is off.
    I can not open 1920x1080 res.
    It is much smaller on my screen.

Looking into the CSS of the opened image, it shows me 1339x739px and last image 1336x737px.

upload_2022-12-1_6-50-49.png

This is 1920x1080

upload_2022-12-1_6-51-24.png

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thats my fault, forgot to uninstall my old SS taker. Heres an in-game full screen, in playmode:

Screenshot - 12_1_2022 , 3_14_35 PM.png

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Antypodish likes this.
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Oh yeah, now we talking better res ;)

I wonder, if you could try record in your spare time, short similar vid to this one, for comparison?

warthos3399 likes this.
  4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes sir, ill have it posted this weekend. :)

Antypodish likes this.
  5. warthos3399

warthos3399

Here it is:

Antypodish likes this.
  6. Antypodish

Antypodish

I have watched tyis on the mobile and it looks quite pretty, magical and tropical. Nice feelings.
    I would love to see some night scenery in the moonlight and in havy rain, where visibility would be reduced in a fog of rain. These event and scenarios would add so much of additional depth to the Gameplay and insecurity to player, in the world full of dinosaurs. Imagine, just hearing nearby dinosaurs, while not seeing, because too dark, or to havy rain. :)
    But that probably additional light mapping baking would be needed?

However, I still need to watch this on my pc screen, to comment additionally.

warthos3399 likes this.
  7. warthos3399

warthos3399

I have a night/day cycle system in place (just not turned on), and i have a few rain assets. The isle has "zones" that are different. Example: the swamp zone would have low/volumetric fog, low water table, etc. A coastal/beach zone, is mostly sand and ocean water.

The recently built Valley zone, would have just a bit of fog (as its very elevated terrain, with more rendering distance with the camera). So each zone will be different.

Love your comments/thoughts, as ive had the same a few times. Ill be adding a zone thats what i call a "wet zone" (rain, puddles of water scattered around the scene, foliage water effects, etc.), and timed to be during the late day/night cycle.

Remember to watch the video in the setting 1080p, theres a bit of lag, but only due to recording, as ingame ive never seen any lag type effects, and runs smooth as sailing.

Antypodish likes this.
  8. derkoi

derkoi

Try turning the sharpness down in Beautify if you're using it.

9. warthos3399

warthos3399

@derkoi was the answer, as when you add Beautify sharpness is added by default, so is tone mapping.

Ive been working on IOC alot the past week. Wanted to take the time to address graphics: PPE, lighting, shaders, terrain textures, etc. Heres a progress WIP SS of it currently:

New Work.png

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

I just put this for comparison, to closer look at, vs above

The two images looks quite different.
    Regarding sharpness, and looking at trees branches, latest yours looks more pleasant.
    However, sun light again looks pale in comparison.

You may want to set up camera position, from which you going to shoot exact screenshots scenery, for future screens comparisons.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  11. warthos3399

warthos3399

I have finally nailed the look ive been wanting. Ambient Lighting has been increased a bit, all foliage has been hue/color adjusted. The scene is more blended. A few SSs from a different section of the Dilo area:

New GFX 1.png

New GFX 2.png

12. Antypodish

Antypodish

Looks decent.
    Just curious, what happens with grass?
    Is some dithering, or diffusion shader on?

13. warthos3399

warthos3399

Corrected, had to compensate for ambient lighting increase. I also have to re-adjust the water plane, as it too was effected by the increase in light.

Antypodish likes this.
  14. warthos3399

warthos3399

Remember these guys?. Working on lighting and graphics has been alot of fun!. Running around the isle to test the new changes has been fun as hell, lol. Im real happy with the progress, while playing, the isle has a "feel" (visual, sound and setting). Even though i know where to go to avoid the enemy, its still dangerous, as one wrong move, and they detect you, lol. Warthos was harmed 4 times in the creation of this SS, lol:

Graphics Update.png

Antypodish likes this.
  15. warthos3399

warthos3399

Wanted to show what ive been up to lately. This is a WIP water system ive created for IOC, as i wasnt happy with the current water system. For a lake or watering hole, this water is very close to what ive been looking for:

16. Antypodish

Antypodish

From distance look nice.
    But up close is somehow looking like liquid metal.

warthos3399 likes this.
  17. warthos3399

warthos3399

@Antypodish Easily adjusted, but its already changed, im using a different shader now. lol.

Heres a short vid of the new KWS Water, in editor view. KWS will be used for the ocean water, the lake, swamp and watering hole will have different water:

Antypodish likes this.
  18. warthos3399

warthos3399

Final render of KWS Water, looks great performs really good:

19. warthos3399

warthos3399

Second example of KWS Water:

20. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ive been working on IOC about 5+ hrs a day lately. Ive finalized the KWS ocean water, and ill be using Aquas for the swamp, and valley water areas (videos soon). Heres my morning coffee view:

21. Antypodish

Antypodish

To be honest, seems like oversaturation's of colors, destroys good feeling of the water effect.
    Your white balance and contrast is way off.

22. warthos3399

warthos3399

Test Version Screenshot - 12_22_2022 , 11_40_28 PM.png

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  23. warthos3399

warthos3399

I spent this weekend adding the terrace/mountain texture. Until now the mountains were just green grass. Ill be adding foliage and grass texture on the mountains and hills next:

Terrace Texture.png

24. warthos3399

warthos3399

Also added is (stock) KWS Water, this is what you get when adding KWS after import, which is a caribbean type look:

25. warthos3399

warthos3399

Progress... Ive been working on environment (isle-wide). All mountains/hills, and terraces texture has been updated, and texture blending applied. To me, using many terrain textures, and blending them together, adds alot of detail:

mountain Texture.png

26. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

I'm still curious if shooting mechanics have been updated since your last game. Do enemies meanigfully react on getting hit (stunning or interrupting enemies' actions)? Is there weak point system? Perhaps you can sneak around dinosaurs to catch them unaware? Eye candy is needed, but if the combat stays basic, it'll wear out its welcome fast

warthos3399 likes this.
  27. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes the system has been updated, and using a different controller with more weapons and functions. Currently the paramilitary have hit reactions, and ragdolls. Now some of the dinos dont have hit animations, so ill be replacing those models, or just create the animations myself.

Stealth is another thing that ill be adding, may have to change out the controller for that, but easy to do. Currently im using a modified version of RFPSP.

DimitriX89 likes this.
  28. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Thats very nice to know, thanks. You are very consistent with your graphic updates, while game mechanics part is left "behind the schenes". I hope you'll post more on that topic from time to time

warthos3399 likes this.
  29. warthos3399

warthos3399

As im sure you have read, right now its about building the environment, and on a isle this scale, it takes a bit, lol. I do work on mechanics alot. Currently im working on the physics end of it. Currently any 55 gallon drums explode when you shoot them, the communication towers also destroy on weapon damage (also a objective), etc.

Now, the current RFPS controller is good, and has alot of functions (thirst/hunger system, good variety of weapons, climb ladders, swim, dive, jump, etc.), and is a solid base controller. In my previous game i used UFPS (old version), and it was a good controller, but it lacked function.

Id love to dev more mechanics, but i have to build this sucker first, lol.

DimitriX89 likes this.
  30. warthos3399

warthos3399

Happy New Year! Been working on IOC all weekend long, and got alot done (built)!. The following areas are built/finished: Main enemy base, bay next to main base, all sub bases, Dilo area, lake area, swamp area, TRex area, Giganoto area, valley area, and more. This means all terrain textures, foliage, grass, trees, and objects are done.

I want to speed up the building so i can get to gameplay and mechanics. Heres a few SS of some of the areas:

Bay.png

Dilo.png

Main Base.png

Sub Base.png

31. warthos3399

warthos3399

Oviraptors have been added, and their area built. The Ovi is bigger than volociraptor, and is feathered. The area has 2 heights of grass, and is in between the valley and the TRex area.

Also, all enemies (dinos and paramilitary) are very deadly in numbers. Meaning you can use aggro to draw them out one by one, or use range weapon (guns, bow or grenades), but if you have 2 or more on you, your dead.

Ovi Area.png

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  32. warthos3399

warthos3399

Carnotaurs have been added, and the area all built:

Carno.png

33. warthos3399

warthos3399

Wanted to share some info about enemies. Just because im adding certain species and paramilitary, in certain areas doesnt mean thats the way it will be. Total opposite, there will be many rogue (meaning doesnt stay with their related groups) dinos and paramilitary, all over the isle.

Rogue paramilitary will be found mostly near roads, towers, and the outskirts of bases. Rogue dinos will be everywhere. Spoiler/Example: you encounter compy (x6) at the start of the game (your first encounter, your intro), but you will encounter them in many places on the isle. So dinos are not just grouped up in certain areas.

Another phase of dev is going to be AI. Dinos and paramilitary will be acting realistic, sleeping, eating. patroling, drinking, etc. Another feature of my AI is a "detection by sight" system, meaning you can sneak up on enemies based on what they can/cant see, or by sight. So if your behind a dino, of course they wont see you, lol. Im already working on this in the test version (keep wanting to say test server, lol).

Deckard_89 likes this.
  34. Kreshi

Kreshi

I am not an artist but I think you could improve the graphics a bit by adding some post processing effects / improving light contrast :).

For example, I just added some exposure, fake-bloom and fake-depth-blur in photoshop and it immediately improved image quality I think.

upload_2023-1-5_14-25-52.png

warthos3399 likes this.
  35. warthos3399

warthos3399

@Kreshi Thank you for creating that, lol, nice!. Yes more PPE will be added later on, as while i actually dev the isle, i cant have those type PPE on, it would distract the hell out of me, lol.

Currently i use some basic PPE: AO, TAA, Vignette, and Sun Flares. Later on i add bloom, auto exposure, eye adaptation, depth of field, etc. TBH i dont like bloom, but its not about what i like, so it will be added, with the option of amount adjustment.

36. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys!, glad to say 70% of the isle is now built (only about 30% of undeveloped areas exist). Ive been working hard on filling in places between finished areas. Play testing large built areas, is really fun!. Its so cool to see and experience the vision, and its possibilities.

Heres a SS of a finished area. This is going through the swamp area (on the left), towards the raptor area. On the left in the SS, shows my hierarchy, IOC is very organized:

Example.png

37. warthos3399

warthos3399

New area added, the Baryonyx now rule the northern side of the inland lake. Their diet is mostly fish. but humans and other dinos are just as good, lol. Other updates: sun flares added (PPE), flies (particle effect) added to carcass parts in spino area. Heres a SS of the Baryonyx area:

Baryonyx.png

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  38. warthos3399

warthos3399

Some info on AI. I use EmeraldAI exclusively for any and all projects. Heres why: these are the features that i have for any enemy or NPC.
    • Static (in-place) and root motion animation supported.
    • Supports humanoid/generic rigs (doesnt like legacy).
    • Enemy detection by zone (radius) or by line of sight.
    • Waypoint system.
    • Full audio support (step, attack, idle, and interact).
    • Faction support (NPC, creature, animal, thief, etc.).
    • Ranged and melee support.
    • Needs system: allows an AI to generate waypoints to objects such as food, water, and other resources.
    • Aggro system, with many options.
    • Built-in UI system: health bars, display an AI's name and level, and combat text (optional).
    • Built-in object pooling.
    • Ragdoll support.
    • Camera shake system.
    • Auto Optimization System.
    So, this is what IOC is using for AI. There isnt anything i cant do with this AI, and if your a coder, you can expand this system greatly.

Antypodish likes this.
  39. warthos3399

warthos3399

Hey guys!. Alot of work has been done, so much that i dont know where to start, lol. A totally new area has been added, and almost finished (update later). Due to previous comments etc., i got thinking of the para-military enemy, and mechanics.

So i worked on optimizing them (import settings for models, materials, textures, and shaders). Very good results. Heres a SS of them currently, and an earlier alpha video link, of a base attack, where you can see how the AI reacts (and theyre not finished yet, lol).

Where alot of the isle is mostly done, im shifting my focus to human and dino animation, AI, interaction, physics, and look, while i continue to build.

Paramilitary.png

40. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Combat looks serviceable in the video, the only thing that looks completely "off" for me is animation of death from a grenade. It looks like the body falls on the ground before an explosion, so you better adjust the timings. Either make the falling section slower or explosion effect - faster

warthos3399 likes this.
  41. warthos3399

warthos3399

Yes, they are "workable", and i too noticed the death animation when recording the video (the explosion is too long). Added it to the to do list, lol. So far they are working good, ive had them climbing observation towers, upper floors of buildings, etc.

42. Antypodish

Antypodish

Happy new year @warthos3399 :cool:
    Nice to see you keep going with it.

I got few commenting feedbacks if you don't mind. :rolleyes:

I love the climate of this environment.
    I remember bridge pathway in your previous project :)
    Just curious, are this one use physics this time, or decided to not use it, in previous project?

Regarding vid. Mechanically is good, for such type of a game.
    Death looks a bit funky, but it matches :)

However, I know I been talking multiple times about light, and sorry for repeating myself, but you really need grap some artist for consultancy. Lights are still way off. I am not describing effects, shadows or anything else. Just pure scene lightening.

It may be also that your monitor is set incorrectly.

This is daylight in your game.

upload_2023-1-12_1-56-52.png

This one is from farcry 1

And even your scene view looks brighter from vid.

Ps.
    The look of the latest water on the surface looks decent :)

43. warthos3399

warthos3399

I never mind your comments, happy new year!. The SS's you posted, if you look theres fog in the background, thats the old version before i added more light, lol. The last SS is recent, and alot better, it actually needs more GI. Yes lighting needs a bit more, but ive been busy with building while also dealing with mechanics, animation and etc.

But things are really starting to come together, almost 80% of the isle is built, and now working on humans and dinos. With so much of it built, its a blast running around the isle, it really looks great, lol.

Thanks for the water comment, loving the way it looks :)

Antypodish likes this.
  44. warthos3399

warthos3399

Wanted to share a process i use for humans and dinos (might help someone), when you want to make individual characters, that have different animations/behavior then their kin. If your like me, its a prefab, and you change anything on one, it changes the others too, even if you unpack the prefab, its still linked by names.

In windows, in your project folder, copy the main folder a character. Now paste it in a different place. Now change all the names of the assets (folder, model, textures, materials, etc.), so everything is re-named differently. Now copy and paste that folder back into your project folder.

Now that its named totally different, you can change that characters animations or what ever, and it wont effect the other kin. This allows for varients of any kind. This is how i create individuals in IOC, so i can have a raptor eating, while another is patroling, and another sleeping, etc.

45. warthos3399

warthos3399

Damn you @Antypodish, lol. This is with increased GI, and a light bloom added. Ill be working on depth perception next...

But to be honest, i dont want it bright like FarCry, to me, the second you look at that SS, your first thought is "too bright, on the edge of being neon". Sorry but its not realistic...

lighting.png

Kreshi and Antypodish like this.
  46. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yeah farcry screenshot maybe is not the best. Is old one too. But feels much lively.
    My points were about lights differences in general and feeling too dark in a day.

Missing fog probably destroys feeling of the fog that you aimed then.
    But thats ok to try things, without getting too invested. ;)

Yeah I give you that. I think bloom over-glow it.
    Yet I would rather play it that way, than the "fog" version :D

There is no need for photo realism however.
    Just to feel about right.
    Otherwise it will consume you :rolleyes:

The bloom makes me thinking, this island feels magical :p

PS:
    Previous screenshots shows improvements however.
    Like this one.
    I like it as is ;)
    Maybe I would a bit argue about sunny side. But thats fine for now.

warthos3399 likes this.
  47. Kreshi

Kreshi

Overall image quality looks way better. You could try to use a LUT for improving the colors :).
    I found this LUT-pack very useful for my projects for example: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/fullscreen-camera-effects/lut-pack-232406

warthos3399 likes this.
  48. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, ive added color grading and depth of field. I had to get rid of sun flares as i have a fps/ms budget, at least for now. Play testing looked really good!. The color grading added a bit of color to the scene, and the depth of field added realism. So with previously added PPE, it looks very realistic.

Heres a few SS's of the changes:

gfx 1.png

gfx 2.png

49. warthos3399

warthos3399

These are the only species on the isle that isnt out to kill you (pure herbavore). Now i added their area in the extreme NW corner of the isle (north of the inland lake). I had to add them for sentimental reasons, im working on their area as we speak.

Another update is roads/paths are being updated. A plain texture doesnt cut it, lol. More to follow. Heres the eye candy:

Brachy.png

Antypodish likes this.
  50. Antypodish

Antypodish

Now colors feel nice. :)
    Thx for pursuing a bit of visual candies.

warthos3399 likes this.