Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games (PC) Isle Of Carnage

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Jul 1, 2022.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

Work on sub-base 1 is going great!. Wanted to introduce the observation towers (SS below). There will be many towers spread out around the isle. These will have enemy para-military in them, and at the top you will find loot. Think i have 6-7 already placed. Ill elaborate more later on, once i start populating them with enemy and loot:

Observation Tower.png

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sub base 1 is done, came out nice, only thing left is to add some props. This area runs at 90 fps. Ill be moving on to a new area of the isle for the next few days, update to follow.

Sub base 1 wip2.png

3. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys! Sorry for the late update, but work has been very demanding, so working alot of hours. Ive had time to adjust the T-Rex area. As has been done with other areas. I dont believe grass should be blanketed/dense in this senario, so ive adjusted grass to look more realistic, more natural.

Im currently doing the same to the triceratops area. Next area planned that im excited for, is for one of the big boys, Spinosaurus!. Ill be working on him and para-military this weekend:

trex wip 2.png

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Had some time to start setting up Spinosaurus. He is correctly scaled, and did some texture work (in Jurassic Extinction he had a green hue base). The new hue fits well, will have root animations and AI this weekend. Look at the scale of him compared to player/human, hes the king.

He is the biggest dino on the isle. If your not prepared or have the correct weapons, this will be a slaughter, and not in your favor, lol. Ill also be developing his area this weekend, alot planned:

Spino Wip 1.png

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

Hey, nice to see you keep going ;)
    Aren't these screenshots a bit dark?
    Seems some contrast / brightness issues?

6. warthos3399

warthos3399

I havent addressed lighting yet, waiting till the isle is built (very large), then ill adjust lighting, PPE, shaders, and etc. Thanks bro :)

Antypodish likes this.
  7. Antypodish

Antypodish

You are right on focusing on game play.
    Yet you need to consider following.

You add new foliage, new envirement places etc. Plus some work on dinos.
    All good. But mostly you work atm at aesthetics of areas.

Is up to you how you approach it.
    But my point is ver basic. Your screen shots are very dark. Is not about making it preety, colorful etc. Maybe is issue with your screen setting. Or whatever else.

Try to open your images on the mobile for example. The colors feel very dull. Making screen shots looks les pleasant.

Unless your goal is to keep such aesthetics. But I think when you present your work, you want screen shots to be representative.

Take for example 5 post above, where you got forest. Sunny areas of the forest feel very dark. Like if they are in the shadow. Or sun is in eclipse.

I am pretty sure in your previous project, your screenis were much brighter and colorful, if I recall corectly. These are mostly same assets, so not sure what has changed.

In my opinion, isjstfew settings of light envirement. Without needing to touch any materials or shaders.

warthos3399 likes this.
  8. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thanks bro, honestly the only change is i havent done anything with lighting, etc. Just been building the isle, as its large, but i think this weekend ill address lighting, and other things to make presentation alot better. I just dont want to spend too much time on making it look great, as that can be done once everything is built. So workflow has changed only. Right now id say 50% of th isle is built.

So once i get lighting, PPE, GI, and other effects done ill post an update. See with Jurassic Extinction i got lighting, PPE, etc. done before i really started building, as JE wasnt a large open world. Thanks for the kick in the ass, and suggestion. Its probably time i addressed it anyway, lol.

Antypodish likes this.
  9. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys! So ive set up IOC with the base settings i had for Jurassic Extinction, and refined them a bit. Ive added ambient occlusion, color grading, auto exposure (PPE), adjusted GI, tonemapping ACES, and sharpen (Beautify). Heres 2 comparative SS's to show the update (the SS Antypodish mentioned), before and after. Its much brighter with better color and AA (using TAA currently). Can i go back to building it now?, lol.

trex wip 2.png

Trex Wip 3.png

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Cool. It looks better as for me :)

It definatelly looks more like early, or late sun of a day, rather than a moonlight :D

warthos3399 likes this.
  11. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thank you, It was actually alot of fun to set up lighting, etc. and see the result it had on the isle, it has a warm type feel to it now. :)

Antypodish likes this.
  12. warthos3399

warthos3399

Got home late, but had time to pick out the area for Spinosaurus and set him up with AI. In the back you can see a tower and the edge of the T-Rex area. This will be a more rocky type area, with dead trees, carcass parts, and bones spread around. Ill be working on it this weekend. Wanted to show a before SS:

Spino Area wip.png

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Antypodish likes this.
  13. warthos3399

warthos3399

May be a bit early, but wanted to post a teaser WIP SS of progress to show the look of the spinosaur area. Rocks, dead trees, ground textures, and carcass parts added. So much more to do, and alot planned. Currently working on spino root motion animation, blood decals (for carcass parts), and a fresh T-Rex juvenile kill. Carcass and kills will have flies (particle effects), with blood and gore:

Sino Area Wip 2.png

Antypodish likes this.
  14. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, heres a top-down SS of the isle. The red circles are developed areas, and also shows the scale/size of the isle. Think about the ocean itself, its huge!. Another is whats left of terrain/landmass, theres so much more to develop that its insane, but i love it, lol. I have plenty of para-military and species of dinos to fill the map. The other thing that will be big is UI (menu, options, saving, etc.), as well as promotional material. This will take some time.

So my scope/scale and workflow is very big. As my mentor always says "dont rush it, and do it right". I have alot of great plans for IOC, and so far, on track and looking great!. With the current state of the country, my real life job is very demanding (as alot of people dont want to work), so things are a bit slow dev-wise, but ill have alot more time coming up with winter setting in. Check out the map, alot to be done, and alot of possibilities, and alot more player/environment systems to be added. I love it all:

IOC Map.png

Antypodish likes this.
  15. warthos3399

warthos3399

Had a few hours tonight and added bushes, dead branches, grass, and smaller rocks to the spino area. Ill be working on spino this weekend, adding root animations, hue/color, etc. Im still working on the fresh t-rex kill, and almost finished with the blood decals. The other thing i need to get done is the roads and paths are a single plain texture, i must address this, its driving me crazy, lol. Hope all your projects are going great!

Sino Area Wip 3.png

Antypodish likes this.
  16. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, finished the blood decals, and spino's root animations. All thats left is final adjustments to animation speeds. Love how this came out, as i wanted a more open, almost barren type area (not foliage dense). Still have a few details to add like flies near the carcass parts, etc., which ill do on monday. Heres the video:

khos and Antypodish like this.
  17. warthos3399

warthos3399

Remember these guys from Jurassic Extinction? (SS below), yep those nasty velociraptors, lol. Ive decided to set them up next, now remember he is scaled correctly as real raptors were only as big as a dog. They are also pack hunters, very intelligent, and like tall grass to hide in. There will be at least 1 pack of 3, maybe more. Ive already set them up in AI, and root motion is done as of tonight.

Their area is between the swamp and the lake, in a nice flat field type area. Ill be working on this area for the next few nights. Also below is a SS of the bare area, before dev work:

Velociraptor.png

Velociraptor area wip.png

UnCursed likes this.
  18. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys!. Ok , heres a SS of the raptor area, there are 2 packs of 3, one on each side. But you cant see them, lol. The raptors are done (root animations, textures, etc.), and this is a dangerous area, as theres 6 of them, and you wont see them till they attack you. At times you can see a bit of the top of their heads, just enough to put you on alert. Ill be posting a video tomorrow, so you can see them:

raptor area.png

UnCursed likes this.
  19. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heres the video showing the raptors in the tall grass. Now once the game is done, wont matter if your on the road, or in the grass, they will detect you and attack (i have detection shut off for the video). You wont see them, before they begin to attack, lol. Yes im still aware of the loud audio, and ill be working on that for the next few nights:

Antypodish and UnCursed like this.
  20. warthos3399

warthos3399

This is OviRaptor, a colorful, feathered species of raptor. Ovi is larger than velociraptor, but dont let the color fool you, very dangerous, and will be the next added to IOC. Currently im looking into where to place them, but the look will change, as to me its too colorful. Ill be working on them this weekend, and will have an update soon.

OviRaptor.png

21. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sorry guys had to work this weekend, but have some new and good news. Even though i started the Oviraptor area, i have found the perfect area for the Dilophosaurs!. Its in between the Giganoto area and the 1st enemy sub base. In the short video the Giganoto area is to the left, sub base on right side (on east coast). Also made the video to show the Dilo's for those who dont know them by name (a frilled dino).

The dilo's are in AI, placed trees, and ill be working on the area for at least 4 hours tonight. There will be 3 Dilo's in the area, video of finished area soon:

22. sirleto

sirleto

comments which might interest you:

1. strange to not start with a more natural lighting from day 1
    2. strange to not add post processing on day 1
    3. you have lots of fog (if that is a style you want) but it seems very badly configured (very close, strong ramp, very plain color). you should try and experiement with volumetric fog (if you want to go that route) or atleast better screenspace fogs (which will force you to have all your foliage shaders using deferred, which is performance wise speaking a great idea, anyway()
    4. for a FPS you seem to have not activated anistropic filtering, everything looks a bit ps2 gen blurry (on grounds, the foliage models obviously are more ps3 quality).
    5. the biggest downpoint for me, looking at your screenshots, is the lack of any sky (beautiful, moody, whatever). it seems to be always as foggy as your fog :)

but the things you posted and worked on are great results, keep up the good work!

derkoi and Antypodish like this.
  23. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thanks for the comments. I do have some PPE (more will be added later on) and Beautify. Yes the fog is the look i want, but will be changed later on to volumetric fog with skybox. Right now im not concentrating on effects and etc., as just building the isle is alot of work, and takes alot of time (to say the least), the isle is huge. My workflow is 1st build it, then adjust PPE, lighting, fog, etc..

The whole project is set up with prefabs (buildings, foliage, trees, rocks, military, dinos, etc.), so i can make one change to say a tree, and it will change all trees in the scene, very easy that way. I havent even started the ocean yet, god that will take many weeks alone. Everything will change and be updated once its actually built. Even some models will be replaced. Lots planned, but im only 1 dev, not a team, lol.

Antypodish and Enzo36t like this.
  24. sirleto

sirleto

interestingly i am the kind of person who has first the PPE and other features set to have a proper look-dev phase.
    then everything i do is as close to great looking and performant as possible. also step by step like you, but i rather have just 20% (of your island, if it where done as my own project) in a good releasable quality, then most of the island but the quality is nowhere in a "finished" state.

good luck for whatever workflow you choose, to not get mentally exhausted and stick with this project until the end :)

derkoi and warthos3399 like this.
  25. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thanks, glad to see someone actually here and commenting/discussing things. Just some info: one thing i teach my students, and have learned over the years is, the hardest, and most time consuming part of a large open-world game is actually building it, and many waste so much time on the look, than actually building it, when the look can be done more towards the later half of the project. Yes, its nice to see the PPE, lighting and etc. right now, but im not anywhere near ready to show any promotional SS's or video, as whats posted here is just that, a WIP.

Example: yes, i could spend the next few weeks (and yes it takes that long, for what i have planned), and address looks, or i could spend that time actually getting the isle built. I choose to get it built. Camera effects, fog, environment looks can be added after, and im certainly not worried about performance, as every single object/script added is pre-optimized to the max extent. And with chunk streaming and other systems, i have no worries at all.

This will be my second game with Unity, i also use Unreal Engine, Cry Engine, and in-house engines (mostly MMO's). One thing i notice is alot of people on Unity forums will show interest (thank you guys), and check out your updates/progress of the game, but never really comment or want to discuss/have suggestions. Im ok with this, but im not that type, as im more used to a dev team that discusses all facets of the game, and works through ideas.

Thank you sirleto , and the best to you and your project :)

Antypodish likes this.
  26. sirleto

sirleto

i think your words are wise and i am not arguing them, just giving a different pov.

generally i think, the goal must be (for big teams equally as for 1 man show indies): do not get mentally exhausted, lost, sad. do not google great (open world) images and be sad that your product doesnt look like that. always continue mentally fit with the POV of "yet, does not look great, yet".

the question to me is still, first look or content (i mean amounts, as in level design, world design if you want).

what i did in my previous project, was buy 1 tree asset from the asset store and take its demo scene (nice one) and modify it and place content of my own to create a game with it. it went very quickly. now one can complain that the gameplay is simple (which it is) but not that the visuals are unprofessionall / unfinished (because they look very well). one can complain that its only a short play time (which it is), but one can not complain that its wasted time, indeed its fullfilling (to whom the gameplay is generally satisfactory).

so just one example from my side how it could be opposite to your approach.

there is also this youtube video from 1 guy (from uta?) who did an open world with unity some years ago, not really sucessfully but gave some youtube videos as making ofs and recorded himself speaking at university about it. he reminds me of you (or vice versa) as i believe his game was a really nicely crafted and quite big world with lots of quests and things to do. but it looks so bland, unfinished, unpolised. it looks to me (but i dont want to judge, only describe) that he got exhaustet and finished the game in the final phase "too rushed". teven the 3rd person player avatar looks crap, when one could definitely pay usd 15 to purchase a lot better avatars workng out of the box on unity store, cg trader, turbo squid or artstation or ...

one other thing: as an indie i am thinking a lot about proceudral content and episodic content. with the later i mean releasing every bit of gameplay i create as its own "next chapter". maybe similar to a continous webcomic. but for this approach it needs to look (quite) good from day 1. we can imagine that a webcomic in the first year has only 30-50 pages and we will still love it, but we can not imagine it to look ugly and teenager-like unqualied to get even past page 5.

BUT in the end, its up to the viewer i guess. some people fall in love with a quirky comic story line, and dont mind any style, as long as it has a style.

warthos3399 likes this.
  27. Antypodish

Antypodish

The sky adds better climate :)

warthos3399 likes this.
  28. warthos3399

warthos3399

Had time to finish up the Dilo area, only a few things left to add. Also root animation isnt shown, as im working on something new with root animations (more later). This is also the first area of the isle thats connected and developed (sub-base, dilo area, giganoto area, and main-base area). Heres the current state of the dilo area:

Antypodish likes this.
  29. Antypodish

Antypodish

Your previous duplicate post is broken.

warthos3399 likes this.
  30. warthos3399

warthos3399

Wanted to share insight, for the project. Ive previously mentioned that alot will change (models, water, terrain, etc.). Heres my latest find/plan: KWS Water System, one of the best water systems deved for Unity.

Ive used Aquas in all my projects, but this is a game changer. Now, how performant is it for a large scale open world?, we are going to find out, lol. I believe that if this asset works out, it could add a incredible addition to IOC.

sirleto and Antypodish like this.
  31. Antypodish

Antypodish

I hope you managed to get week sells good deal.
    As I looked now, it was 50% off. If only buy button works. :confused::rolleyes::D

warthos3399 likes this.
  32. warthos3399

warthos3399

lol, i already set it up in the test version of IOC. I love this system, but im going to need time to tear it down, and go through all of it, scripts, settings, etc., so i can mod and optimize it. So far, i notice performance differs depending on the number of say, shore line waves you add. Which is expected, and the river water that flows around objects (which looks insanely good), can also effect performance a bit. The one thing i dont see mentioned is controller integration (im currently reading the docs).

Personally i dont have a problem with that, as RFPSP has a simple way of adding functionality for water for the controller. The water plane itself is a child of the controller. This is just a test, but if it works out, it will be added to the production version. Time will tell. Right now (once again) im really just trying to get the isle built, as water, dino models, etc. can be upgraded after the fact. Right now im filling in the "in-between" areas with foliage, rocks, dead trees, etc. Not much to show just yet.

sirleto and Antypodish like this.
  33. justinsykes2006

justinsykes2006

Why does it look like PS1 graphics?

derkoi likes this.
  34. warthos3399

warthos3399

Not sure what you mean, but currently all textures are 2k, they will be 4k towards the end of the project.

35. warthos3399

warthos3399

So heres what ive done with the KWS Water asset on the test version, the ocean water looks real good, only thing left is shoreline and controller integration. So far performance is stellar (this area/view is running at 89 fps):

Deckard_89 likes this.
  36. warthos3399

warthos3399

An updated SS of Dilo area with grass added, finalized:

Screenshot - 11_21_2022 , 2_16_40 AM.png

37. Antypodish

Antypodish

In my view water looks ok. But to be honest, is far from being high quality.
    Watter misses details and close up.

He means, graphics doesn't feel like high quality.
    It is perhaps of type of shader are used.
    Maybe that is the goal of visuals.
    But perhaps poster meant, that graphics feels "flat".
    Besides standard albedo textures, there is no bump maps, speculars etc.

See for example here a ground

The look and feel is exact same, as if it was game from 2010. Or maybe earlier.

Mind, I am not criticizing, as I know how time consuming is to make good quality graphics.
    And it is fine for such game, with given resources.
    However, just pointing out, why graphics may feel old / flat.

warthos3399 likes this.
  38. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Water looks very good - not killing your framerate either.

warthos3399 likes this.
  39. sirleto

sirleto

1. Water animation is very slow, seems unrealistic by that
    2. all your images are very dark. i guess you are on a mac? or for whatever reason your gamma is either strangely configured or your screenshot and video recording / conversion to youtube makes it so dark?
    3. the game has lots of high detail, this makes it look somewhat 2015+, but the low resolution of the screens + no antialiasing + sometimes no lighting + no AO or other postprocessing makes it look super flat. also there is artistically no difference between darker and brighter areas, e.g. direction light seems to be at intensity 100% instead of 150% or even 200% as many people use it to get more contrast in shadowed / non shadowed areas.
    4. there is no eye adjustment post processing yet, this means wherever we look, half darkness and half bright objects stay fixed.

all this makes it look super flat, as if its a PS1 (well, without the ps1 precission bugs, and with lots and lots more pols, of course).

i doubt the 2048² textures are a problem here, depending on where they are used.

Antypodish and warthos3399 like this.
  40. warthos3399

warthos3399

TBH, KWS Water is a great asset, but after testing, im going to pass on using it in IOC, but will be using it on future projects. As far as graphics, think im going to take some time to address the issue. Was going to wait till later on, but ill be working on it all this week.

Another issue is my screen recording software, and screen capture software. Ill also be working on them all week, as what i see in gameplay/editor view is NOT what i see in videos/SS's. So the software is probably causing a prob. Im currently testing out OBS (open broadcast software). I looked on the asset store for a solution, but really didnt find much, unless anyone knows of any good software for this purpose (paid or free, doesnt matter).

Antypodish likes this.
  41. Antypodish

Antypodish

Did you try using Unity recorder?

warthos3399 likes this.
  42. derkoi

derkoi

Each time anyone has made comments, you tell them things are not finished, so there's not really much point in giving feedback as it's not finished.

warthos3399 likes this.
  43. sirleto

sirleto

Well, I don't mind that the response on a thorough comment is "it's not finished". It's not necessarily dismissive. But it can turn down some people, for sure.

As for video recording: I use Windows build in, and I get 1:1 what I see on my screen. As for colours and brightness: maybe your monitor is super strangely configured? If you put it "programmer style" on super bright, for example, it will look too dark for everyone else.

44. warthos3399

warthos3399

Progress...

Dilo Update2.png

Antypodish likes this.
  45. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ok, the above SS includes the following changes/updates:
    • PPE: Ambient Occusion, Auto Exposure, AA (TAA), Tone Mapping (ACES), Eye Adaptation, and Vignetting.
    • Shader change: for Kapok trees, and base included shaders from CTI Tropical Forest Pack. Grass shader updated with new model/prefab, more "random/spread-out" type.
    • Directional Light: Increased intensity to 2, from 1, much "brighter/daytime" setting.
    • Corrected: Physical "sun/directional light" position per skybox, adjusted.
    Most graphic/PPE settings are dialed in. Shaders have been addressed, much brighter setting, nicer normal random/spread out type grass and foliage. Bit more to do, should be done by this weekend...

46. sirleto

sirleto

not complaining or anything, just telling you what i see:

NEGATIVE POINTS
    - grass has no shadows
    - mountain on right side has no shadows
    - tree bark is very bright, looks pale
    - ground textures are looking pale
    - greens on "bush" foliage (banana leaves, palms, etc) looks vigrant and good, their stems look over bright and pale
    - greens of the "ground" foliage looks dark olive
    - generally the screenshot is low res (maybe thats the device you have, but to me it looks like its 1024x768 oder 1280x720 or something like that), it means we can not see any details (1080p or 1440p makes for much better advertisements). if you dont have such a screen / hardware (e.g. notebook) then find an asset (multiple free ones, e.g. on github exist) that allows you to take screenshots in higher res (e.g. your screen is 720p but the screens can be 1400p)
    - ovreall the complaint was that your screenshots where dark, now they are brighter, but not like a scale but like an add. so before it looked like a brightnesses distribution from 0 to 128, now its shifted to 64-192. i can see you did something, but IMO makes no sense and looks even worse :) what everyone expects would be 0 to 255 with a reasonable "realistic" brightness distribution.
    in this screenshot i see NO ACES tone mapper, and generally speaking it was never the problem or needed.
    you wrote that you increased directional light from 1 to 2, thats for sure done, but you are doing some other strange things that we dont benefit at all. go back to 1.5 and we need to find out what else is making your outpost so wonky (real settings by accident, or your manual "choice" because your screen is strange or you have a unusual visual taste, perhaps?)
    - you say you turned on TAA, but thats not what i see on the screenshot. it looks aliased and in fact extremely sharpened. it makes the image look crisp to the point that everything is popping to the veiwer eyes.

POSITIVE POINST
    - the amount of plants and details is good, honestly i like it
    - we can not tell if far draw distance is short or far, because the amount of middle ground plants covers that up nicely, good job, thats usually difficult when making "jungleish" scenes.
    - the trees + bushes look super naturally placed
    -CTI shaders are great, good idea. Kapok trees from that jungle package are lovely, so is the rest of those plants.
    - texture resolutions look good, nothing looks ugly blurry

MY OPINION
    generally speaking the screenshot is "technically" (not your content or scene or camera view point) super terrible, no normal person will look at that image. (e.g. if you have a website with 5 screenshots from 5 games, this is your screenshot, very few people will click on your screenshot).

MY PROPOSAL
    i really think its nice that you are making a game with focus on dinos.
    i really want to help you, feel free to chat with me and show me your screenshots - or lets arrange a session where you stream your screen and we go through your settings 1 by 1 to find the "culprit" :-D

A TEST
    a few (not photoshopped) screenshots from test scenes and test projects i have created in past (few weeks). not to show the content, but just the coloring / contrasts / brightness distribution.

if everyone could give an input and say for warthos last dino island screenshot and my screenshots how they would rate in regard to:
    - brightness range (is it 0 to 255 on your screen, or just the lower half or upper half, etc)
    - contrast (too much brightness, too much darkness, too shallow, to contrasty)
    - saturation (too grey or too colorfull)
    - color grading / balance / gamma
    please also mention what device you use (phone, notebook screen, normal screen, big tv-like screen)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Antypodish likes this.
  47. sirleto

sirleto

i had trouble uploading the images per copy+paste, i hope now it works via upload of files

Attached Files:

48. Antypodish

Antypodish

I agree, something about sharpness is off on last screen shots.
    Maybe is somehow missing shadows. Is hard to tell from quick glance.

@warthos3399 could you try to use Unity recorder, to capture high res image, and post it here for comparison?

I will also post these for comparison

Other than that, I love forestry settings :)

49. warthos3399

warthos3399

A few settings werent saving, and adjustment. This is 1920x1080 (my monitors native res):

Screenshot - 11_30_2022 , 8_02_45 PM.png

50. warthos3399

warthos3399

This is the raptor area, 1920x1080, the new grass looks great:

Screenshot - 11_30_2022 , 10_38_19 PM.png