Search Unity

Games (PC) Iron and Bone

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by warthos3399, Aug 3, 2023.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

A 3rd person RPG, with a pirate based theme/storyline, with quests, interaction, and more. Based on games like Risen/Gothic series, with some Soul series systems added. You will start on an island, and be able to sail to other islands, explore, find treasure, and battle along the way. This project comes from working for other studios, and what ive learned from them. The biggest things to me that are most important are the camera effects, lighting, and the player character, and ive done damn good job to get those 3 about done. I love the look and feel.

Heres some things currently planned:
    • Add/create female player character (always thought it should be standard be able to pick a male or female).
    • Add more common people in towns, fortress, etc.
    • Set up vendors, quest givers, etc.
    • Start adding monsters/mobs, to AI.
    Planned roadmap:
    • Ability to teleport in the scene, and teleport to other scenes.
    • Complete quest and dialogue system.
    • Inventory, loot/pick ups, and animated chests.
    • Faction system (current AI system already supports factions).
    • Levels, XP, and rewards systems.
    • More to come...
    View attachment 1281317

Intro.png

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    TeagansDad and marteko like this.
  2. warthos3399

warthos3399

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Looks cool! Unity's new HDRP water has got me thinking "pirates" too, lately. ;)

warthos3399 likes this.
  4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Had a few hours free, built the first rural type town youll see:

First Town.png

5. warthos3399

warthos3399

Had some time after work to add City Guards in, they fit well and have over 35+ animations, so after they are added to AI, they will look nice:

City Guards.png

6. warthos3399

warthos3399

Town Tavern.png NDA's suck, lol. When you work for different studios, you use different engines/systems, and some of these are both addicting, and revolutionary. Imagine Unity with the ability to place objects (rocks, bridges, buildings, foliage, etc.) into the actual terrain, and have it morph/mesh/meld with the terrain, and also self generates the NavMesh (walkable/non-walkable AI areas)... Here's some SS's of the latest work, finished contract work early.

Love working on this side project, good RPG's are really needed. This may turn into an official project, depending on my work load:

Kings house.png

Kings House Interior.png

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    Deckard_89 likes this.
  7. warthos3399

warthos3399

Finished work, so i based out the 1st Temple area, only took about an hour, still have some props/foliage to add. Yes i need to get off my ass and decide to make this official or not. I think the hardest decision, is the damn name, lol. 2 names were suggested by dev teammates: Iron and Bones, or Gold and Bones. Ill have to research to make sure names/IP havent been taken.

Any suggestions feel free. On the tech side, im loving the Invector Controller, and the new KWS Water is killing it. Ill post details once name and time are allocated:

first temple.png

8. warthos3399

warthos3399

Heres an early pic of the new female pirate, player character. She looks good, nice textures, and fits the scene well. Ill be working on setting her up as a player character this weekend, more to follow:

Pirate (female).png

9. warthos3399

warthos3399

Every main character needs a name and back story:

My character is John Morgan, son of the famous pirate Henry Morgan. Henry, along with BlackBeard, Calico Jack, and Samuel Bellamy, attemted to defeat the biggest evil to the 7 seas. That mission failed. And all were lost...
    John Morgan has returned. To not only find out how and why his father died, but what plan did they have, and what evil were they trying to kill?...

Main Character.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  10. warthos3399

warthos3399

Wanted to share a tip: taking advantage of shadows. I started setting up caves, now everyone has their own way to dev caves, heres how i do it, and save on performance. Most use models that only have a Interior view with no Exterior view (caves, dungeons, sewers, etc.) no problem.

Use the effect of your existing shadows to your advantage, box in (most importantly the roof), of your cave.
    Instead of using a reflection probe to get interior lighting looking acceptable (reflection probes are costly), this is a performance work-around, that has been tested and used before, and your PPE (camera effects), are still active.

Heres a comparison, 1st is without a roof/box-in, 2nd is with roof/box-in:

Without.png

With.png

11. warthos3399

warthos3399

My render:

My Render.png

12. marteko

marteko

Thank you for the tip, will use it when do caves! It was very inspirational when few years ago I've read your topic about dinosaurs game, now will follow your progress with interest again. :cool: By the way, is this sepia tint by purpose, or you will change the appearance on final version?

13. warthos3399

warthos3399

Its just a workaround to get the cave a bit darker, without using a reflection probe. I still have just a touch of reflection here and there, but its due to Bloom. Thanks for the support on Jurassic Extinction, and thanks for the interrest, much appreciated :)

The sepia type tint wasnt a plan, and many things will change as i progress. I use Beautify (added PPE asset), as well as Unity's PPE, good combination that covers everything. As i speak im adding props to the cave. The next step per workflow is start adding enemies, gonna be fun!. With the cave i want something dark, so when you walk in, the first thing you see is bright red/yellow/white, eyes. Like a ghoul. I have a ton of models, ill whip something up that will work nice.

Do you have a project in the works?. You can always PM me anytime. Best of luck to you bro :cool:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  14. marteko

marteko

I have many projects in development, but almost all of them are just in my head. :D 6 years ago I got into Unity and after an unfinished match 3 puzzle game and a finished little simple simulator, I decided I needed to get some CG skills to be able to make the games I wanted. My CG learning is still ongoing (of course it will never end), but at the end of last year I felt it was time to devote time to Unity again and started the Learn section of Unity site. I've completed the Essentials and Creative core pathways, and almost done with Junior Programmer. After that, I have marked some more tutorials from there to study and then will start one of my ideas. Maybe then I'll make a thread on this forum too and you're welcome to comment there. Thank you! I still have a lot to learn about Unity and it will be helpful to communicate with you.

15. warthos3399

warthos3399

I think your doing great, you can PM me any time, and if theres anything i can do to help, please let me know. As i taught to my students, your at the point where you have learned alot of courses, learning and etc. You have enough knowledge, time to dive in and get your feet wet and go for it. I would gladly support you in any way i can.

I only have 1 unfinished project, Isle Of Carnage. For me the prob is, ive learned so much in the past year from working on studio teams, that now when i boot IOC up, i now see that id really have to re-do alot, and ive already released Jurassic Extinction, dont really need another dino game right now. But its there, if i want to continue at some point. Love this game, how it looks, the challenge. Ill finish/release this one, its too much fun.

One last slice of advice, dont wait, theres alot to be said about "hands on learning", you can learn tons from courses/training, But actually using/applying it, you really need "hands on" time. Best of luck to you on your game dev project!.

Now get back to work :)

marteko likes this.
  16. warthos3399

warthos3399

This is the 1st cave entrance, do you see it?, and thats the point. Like real nature, things meld/mesh together, over time. Unless you have previous knowledge of it (quest info, etc.), you wouldnt see it... Hidden Entrance.png

17. warthos3399

warthos3399

Started adding in animals, and getting them set up in AI. Ive added spiders to the cave, and boars near the starting area. Ill be adding more for the next few nights:

Spiders.png

Boar.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  18. warthos3399

warthos3399

This is Madam Gale, owner of the Harbor Town Tavern/Brothel. Easy on the eyes, but has a vicious personality. Rumored to be the daughter of pirate Edward Gale. Ed "strong arm" Gale was a mate on GreyBeards ship, for many years...

MademBarmaid.png

19. warthos3399

warthos3399

Added in the wolves tonight, they are in AI, but gave them an idle for now, until the "set-up full AI/animations" phase happens. Im sure by now everyone has heard the latest Unity news, and wont comment about it here, but Iron and Bone isnt going anywhere, till its released. Ill find a way to navigate the minefield, one way or another:

wolves.png

20. warthos3399

warthos3399

Some planned features/systems (workflow), that ive also been working on, when not working on the actual scene:
    • Will be using Quest Machine for quests and more (big fan of TonyLi's work). Works great, and UI will be the only thing to really mod (theme to the game).
    • Mechanics: Invector 3rd person (melee) controller, with add-ons. Many options here, like Invector World Components https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/invector-world-components-180921 It has some Soul like systems, but the open/close/loot chests system is my real want. So this controller has invintory, pick-ups, switches/interaction, swimming, climbing, chest control, and more. Once again, customizing the UI will be fun, lol.
    • Real world commoners. I have some great medeval/villager/worker type animations, so npc's will be carrying/moving crates, tending bar, merchants, repair workers, cooking, field hands, etc.
    • Cut-Scenes: will be plenty of them needed, lots of video editing, kinda not looking forward to that, lol. When you travel from one island to another on your ship, there will be cut scenes showing you leaving one island (in-game footage), and arriving at another. Also alot of dialogue cut-scenes as well.
    My current focus has been working on a title image, and no, not 2 swords crossed with a skull, lol. So also working on the theme and storyline aspect.

21. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, wanted to post a current update. What ive done is tweak Bloom and Environment Lighting a bit, but the biggest thing is ive removed fog for now. Unity's fog isnt really cutting it no matter what i use or adjust, no biggie as later on ill address fog (i have many fog assets, volumetric, height, etc.).

Ill be working on adding Depth Of Field for the few nights, i have PPE DOF, and Beautify's DOF. Will compare performance and etc. between the two. Ive also started building the next island you can travel to, in total there will be around 6:

Start Area.png

22. warthos3399

warthos3399

This is an example of a big game released title i play alot (the whole series 1-3), called Risen 2: Dark Waters (my inspiration). Now if you watch the video, i demonstrate a "jump" (standing and running). Umm sorry to say, thats the wimpiest jump ive ever seen in a game, lol. Also, theres no Bloom or sharpness effects added. Lastly, theres no what we call cloth/animation/simulation.

My controller is much better, you can see both movement, and wind effects to the cloth armor. The jump animation is just perfect, only the characters jump sounds need changing:

khos likes this.
  23. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sorry guys, been home sick for the last 3-4 days, Today feeling better, i started on island #2 (yes they will have names later on). Terrain and textures done, added KWS Water (still need to update to reflect island 1's settings).

Need to be posting more video, so ill be doing so this week. Once im back to my normal self, ill have alot of updates, even sick i kinda dont stop, lol. Island 2, nice terrain, but is a brighter/more sun type scene, with wider sloping beaches. Every island will be different:

Island2 Terrain.png

24. warthos3399

warthos3399

Just wanted to show the new environment for island 2. New skybox, character controller, water, and camera effects all in place now. Currently working on island 1's, depth of field camera effect, and as of last night, started adding torches to the game:

Island2 Environment.png

kdgalla likes this.
  25. warthos3399

warthos3399

I chose to use Beautify's DOF. It allows alot more control. Adding DOF did nothing to performance (love that), what i did was, dial back just a bit on Intensity, and add a bit to focal length. I hate games that have "overblown" DOF, its a distraction, and non-realistic.

So now we have dof, sharpen, color grading, vignette, and bloom. This is really looking good:

26. warthos3399

warthos3399

Had time to finish up the torches, and have been added in game. Im using Ufire for the particle effect flames (great asset with alot of flexability). Ill be adding them for the next few nights. Ill be setting up Quest Machine this weekend, should be fun, lol:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  27. warthos3399

warthos3399

Worked on the fishing village last night, added torches to buildings and docks. A little change to workflow. Been testing Dialogue System For Unity, instead of Quest Machine, and is far better suited for this game.

I have 2 test versions of IAB, where i test new systems, imports, ideas, and etc., the production version is seperate. Quest Machine is great, but its made for basicly quests, not much support for dialogue (though i could script it for it). Dialogue System For Unity, has both, and fits workflow nicely. Installed it, and within 10 minutes, had basic quests and dialogues running, and i havent even looked at the docs/api yet, lol. Thats how good TonyLi develops his assets...

Back-ups/version control, is a must for any project. Never add any new asset to your production version, until its tested first. Nothing big, a video of the updates on the fishing village:

28. warthos3399

warthos3399

Worked on the last addition to Harbor Town tonight, the governors house. While doing so i was thinking about micro/macro optimization. Im guilty of big micro optimization, lol. Ive decided to resist this, and just build it now and optimize later (many Unity devs have stated this over the years, so ill try it out).

Ill still micro, but only basics (import settings, textures, etc,). Example: spawning, (by radius of player, etc.), pooling, chunk streaming terrain, and other systems will have to wait till later on. WIP shot of the governors place (warehouse on the left):

Govenors House.png

29. warthos3399

warthos3399

Finished the basic set up of the governors house, castle/fortress is next. Once i finish details at the fortress, i plan to stop building for a bit and work on mechanics (controller, quests/dialogue, AI, and animation). New characters will be added (workers, merchants, quest givers, etc,) as the project progresses.

But i feel the controller needs root motion animations (currently in-place animations), as its nice, but not smooth as id like it. I always address animations/controller motion before adding weapons. Heres a video of the governors place:

30. warthos3399

warthos3399

Been away this weekend (R&R), but had time to rough-out a new UI (user interface) ive been working on. This is a basic/simplified menu, but has a nice feel and look to it:

31. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, hope things are going well with your projects :). Im currently spending 1/2 my time on systems/mechanics/UI, etc. The other 1/2 on scene dev. The current 1st island is way over 1/2 done, only have like 3 areas more to dev. Heres my level design dilema, lol.

I have an area behind the fortress/castle (to the west), that i can dev 2 ways. Either way, there will be a large cave complex (quest area). Now above the cave complex i can do an inland lake, after all its also the highest point on the island, and common sense says they would build the fortress near a good fresh water supply. Or i can turn the area above the complex into a large mountain, and facilitate it (building or temple on top of it, etc.).

Heres a SS of the area, im working on the cave complex as we speak, if you look at the bottom middle, you can see the character:

Undeveloped area.png

32. warthos3399

warthos3399

Been working on systems alot. I wanted a fast travel option. Spent time coding my own, testing/modding others, and boy i got it, lol. This is the new "Fast Travel" system that ill be using. In the video your seeing travel from 1 completed area (castle) to another complete area (harbor town), lots of objects, etc., but its damn fast, lol:

33. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sorry for the late update, injured my left hand, so been relying on my right hand a bit more, lol. Heres a new WIP SS of the new UI, before adding camera effects, particle effects, animation, etc.

A good solid base to build off of. Remember guys a UI (main menu/pause menu) "scene" is just that, a new scene. You dont have terrain, foliage and tons of other objects to render, so go all out, you can afford it:

UI WIP.png

khos and StarSilver22 like this.
  34. StarSilver22

StarSilver22

my right arm literally just finished healing. well, mostly:)

Anyway, love the artwork it gives off nice and mysteries vibe that makes me exited to find out what treasure's I may find sailing the seas. the game play, and animations also looks really nice and polished.

I'm somewhat new to coding with only two years of exp on a node-based coding engine called Scratch, and like three years of off and on Unity.

warthos3399 likes this.
  35. warthos3399

warthos3399

Good to hear your arm is mostly healed :) Thanks for the comment, takes alot of work but im really enjoying deving this game. Heard of Scratch in my travels, never tried it, as i use in-house engines alot and Unity/UE for my personal projects.

Best to you, and keep on coding!

StarSilver22 likes this.
  36. warthos3399

warthos3399

I actually started this game while working for another studio. I was givin time to get used to their in-house engine, and this game idea was my "test" of the engine. Once i completed my work i re-created it in Unity, only this time i took a leap of faith and used 2021 LTS instead of my usual 2019 LTS (best version of Unity IMHO).

Once i get a bit more of the 1st island set up, then things like animated chests, quests, dialogue, AI/combat, and story will be coming. Ive already been working on these systems ahead of time. Its hard to dev this as a solo, but i have to deligate time to the workflow...

Ill have updates this weekend. One thing i see missing in RPG's recently, is the lack of a "love interrest" in games. Ill be adding just that very soon. A few posts back i posted a SS of a new female pirate (from the same modeler i use), shes going to be the main character John Morgans love. She will join John as a companion, and the storyline will follow. Ill repost the pic:

Pirate (female).png

37. StarSilver22

StarSilver22

Honestly now that you say it modern RPGs do seem to lack this along with memorable bad guys.

Also do you do all the art your self?

warthos3399 likes this.
  38. TheelJeff

TheelJeff

Hope you're keeping up the great work. Looks fantastic so far. I'll be awaiting more from ya!

warthos3399 likes this.
  39. warthos3399

warthos3399

Thank you, much appreciated :). So much more to come, wish i had 3 of me, lol.

40. warthos3399

warthos3399

As far as art style theres 2 things. About 70% is my own custom work. Any asset i use is torn apart and modded heavily, with very few acceptions. All textures and materials for everything is my work (modded/replaced).

When i grab something off the asset store, i really only need the mesh and texture, the rest is easy (im trying to same time). You have to mod/adjust everything to have the same "look" and feel. The only acceptions so far are the main character (im only using a certain modeler for the project, as his work is insane), and some house/castle prefabs/parts by 3DForge. I cant leave anything alone, i have to make it mine, and the way i want it to look, lol.

StarSilver22 likes this.
  41. StarSilver22

StarSilver22

thanks for the Insite on how you do your art. I'm kinda new to the art side of Unity.
    So, seeing how someone else does it helps me figure out how I can improve when I do it.

Although my brother says he has an interest in doing the art in my next project.

I'm super glad I'm not the only one who stuck with Unity though all the drama:)

warthos3399 likes this.
  42. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys, hope your projects are going great!. Here's a SS of a new render (in-editor) of John's love interrest. This is BlackBeard's daughter Angelica, dont know if you'll meet her on the 1st or second island/scene, have'nt decided yet, lol. Still needs more work, but will have her in AI/companion mode tomorrow:

angelica.png

43. warthos3399

warthos3399

As promised, i set up angelica in AI/companion mode. She looks good, fits in nicely with him, but still needs more work (animations, speed, behavior, etc.). Since shes set up basicly, ill come back to her later, as theres more important work to do right now:

44. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sorry for late update, been realy busy with systems. This is where im at currently: Quest Machine and Invector World Components are working on the test version of IAB. Bear with me, as QM is one of the first systems ive needed to watch tutorial videos for in quite a while. QM has so many options/configurations that its insane, lol. Been learning the core system and code.

Invector World Components is good, adds more functionality to the Invector controller, so been working on both (alot of work, lol). Working on the stove fire prefabs tonight (core is UFire, great asset) and wanted to show what will be coming next (love the look/feel):

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  45. warthos3399

warthos3399

I cant help it... the "optimization" bug has bit me, lol. I wasnt going to optimize till later on, and im almost at that point (only 2 more areas to develop/add). But point lights (the amount i want to add), is killing FPS/MS. INFO: im using realtime point lights not baked (using deferred renderer) point lights are set with auto-rendering and no shadows (BuiltIn renderer).

My first thought is to LOD or Spawn them (per player radius). Both can be done, testing needed. Progress being made, just not as much as id like, lol. Heres an interresting fact: if i shut off the particle effect "Sparks" (for the campfire prefab), performance gets worse... So i enhanced it:

46. kdgalla

kdgalla

In your video I'm seeing one directional light for the sun and one point light for the fire. So not sure what the problem with too many point-lights.

I guess you could just disable lights that are not visible, though.

warthos3399 likes this.
  47. warthos3399

warthos3399

That video just shows how the campfires look now. I had about 20 point lights (torches, a few candles, and campfires) and fps/ms took a good hit.

48. warthos3399

warthos3399

You were correct more than you know @kdgalla . Frustum Culling is the answer, as it disables/shuts off objects not in cameras view (per radius). We all know Unity's Occlusion Culling really doesnt cut it like it should, so to me its a backup option.

My solution is a custom script for frustum culling, and needs to be added to objects in scene to be effected. No problem, i just need to make sure the code is clean and correct. Now this system should shut off the point lights per cameras radius view. Currently implimented on the test version of IAB...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  49. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup my Unity homies!. Lots of good news and alot has been done over the past week or so:
    • Quest Machine will be imported/implimented this weekend.
    • A custom optimization system will be added, so point lights for fires/torches/candles and more can be added (per player radius/view).
    • Invector World Components tested good, and is being added (have to switch out main controller to a certain version for compatability).
    • All characters are now root-motion based (enemies/NPCs/animals), with factions set up.
    • Alot of interior building props added (kings house, governors house, inn/brothel house, etc.) and is related to the main story.
    • Particle effects added to main menu UI.
    Dev on IAB never stops, im always looking for the best performance/HD look i can squeeze out of the BuiltIn renderer that i can, lol. Heres a video of a new "worker" type character ive been testing:

50. warthos3399

warthos3399

This is the king of the first island. Looks good nice bloom effects/reflections, like the main character. Ive been working on adding "citizens/commoners/workers", new models/characters are being tested and added.

There will be workers repairing structures, cooking, attending fields, carrying crates, etc, Heres a short video of the new king character:

StarSilver22 and TeagansDad like this.