Search Unity

Pc for Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ChillArtGames, May 12, 2020.

1. ChillArtGames

ChillArtGames

Hi guys!
    I'm new to Unity, i was trying to use it on my old pc, but my old pc wasn't able to run it properly.
    As a neophyte, i wanted to use unity for mobile games developing (mainly 2d projects, and some ''light'' 3d projects).
    I'm buying a new pc, but i'm not so sure about the specs (expecially GPU).
    After some research, i found this pc, but i'm not sure if it can handle Unity decently.

Notebook HP Pavilion 15- 15-cs3019nl 7VT72EA

https://laptop-hunter.com/notebook-hp-pavilion-15-15-cs3019nl-7vt72ea-blue-21991.html

Processor: i7-1065G7 1.3 GHz - 3.9 GHz quad core 10th gen
    RAM: 16 GB DDR4-SDRAM
    Internal storage: 512 GB SSD NVMe,PCI Express
    GPU NVIDIA® GeForce® MX250 4 gb

This is my first post on this Forum; thank you in advance for your help

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

One important thing to understand about Unity is that it's system requirements scale according to the tasks you want to accomplish with it. For the games you want to create the laptop will be just fine. That said I want to make it clear to you that HP is one of those companies where you pay a premium for the brand rather than good hardware.

I recommend the following laptop. An ASUS TUF A17. It's processor has twice the core count which can help with tasks like baking lighting for your game and generating the shader variants used by the engine. For everything else it's about tied with the laptop you selected.

One of the most important differences is that the ASUS TUF A17 has a GTX 1650 GPU which is far more powerful than the MX250 in the HP. While you might not need it now for the games you want to create now you will have more performance to grow into with if your interests change.

The ASUS TUF A17 is currently on pre-order for $999. I wasn't able to determine the exact cost of the HP Pavilion but I will say that I wouldn't pay more than $600 for it which is the upper limit for laptops that don't have good dedicated graphics hardware.

https://www.newegg.com/fortress-gra...h-es75-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235423

Joe-Censored and Schneider21 like this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

There should be a plugin for this forum that lets me just automatically like anything @Ryiah posts, because she's always right.

The only thing I can add is that if you're interested, the system requirements for Unity are available here. So while the system you posted will certainly work, Ryiah is right in that you're better off getting an ASUS machine with a better GPU. Heck, for a similar price, you'd even have a VR-capable machine, if you decided to go that route some day!

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The OP's machine would be fine for less demanding projects. I'd recommend adding a couple more cores and a bit better GPU if you can afford it though.