Search Unity

PC for unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dan184, Jul 31, 2019.

1. dan184

dan184

Hey, can I developed 3d games in this pc?
    i5-9400F Intel core 2.9GHz
    SSD 240GB
    8GB DDR4
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
    Corsair 450W Active PFC
    H310 ASUS

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Yes you can develop 3d games with that pc.

Note "3d games" is not very specific. So while you could make roll a ball, you might struggle making elite dangerous with that pc etc etc.

angrypenguin and vakabaka like this.
  3. dan184

dan184

Can I make tower defence games or a brawl stats alike game or a 3d flying space ship?

4. Vryken

Vryken

Yes you can.
    If you're asking if it will perform well on your PC, then that depends on how you make it.

5. dan184

dan184

Do you have an example for a PC that will be enough for game development? Not elite dangerous kind of level but still a high performance

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Like they've already said it's completely dependent on the game you want to make. Performance can go anywhere from games being able to run on Intel HD to games that can barely run on the most powerful computer hardware available.

My recommendation is to check Steam for similar games with graphics at the level you want to have, and then buy slightly better hardware (eg if the game recommends an i5 then buy an i7, if it recommends an RTX 2060 then buy an RTX 2070).

7. kdgalla

kdgalla

Also, for development, I'd recommend having 16 gb of RAM or more if you can get it. The Unity editor is heavy enough on its own and you're probably going to want to have multiple applications open at once. I tend to have Unity, Blender, Corel PhotoPaint and 24 tabs of Firefox all open at the same time when I'm working, and I'm constantly switching between them. Having only 8 gb won't stop you, but you may experience more sluggishness.

vakabaka and ShilohGames like this.
  8. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I agree on at least upgrading from 8GB to 16GB RAM. That would be a very low cost upgrade that would be a noticeable benefit.

9. dan184

dan184

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. There are multiple problems with that computer: (a) the cost is the result of it being a small computer rather than a fast computer, (b) a quad core processor is basically dead in 2019, (c) it has integrated graphics which is nearly useless, (d) you will quickly run out of storage with only 256GB.

Below is a far superior computer from iBUYPOWER. It has a high-end 8 core processor, it has 16GB RAM, it has a 1TB SSD, and it has a reasonably powerful graphics card. It's more than capable of playing The Witcher 3. You could play their next game Cyberpunk 2077 on it too as well as just about every AAA game on the market.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MG8KLDT/

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    vakabaka and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  11. BrainchildArt

BrainchildArt

Just build your own PC, you will save $200-400. I don't get why people can't just spend 1-2h on building their own PC. It is super easy and you can buy used hardware to get better stuff in your budget.

Ryiah and Ony like this.
  12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

In general, Unity likes:

* Fast disk access
    * Lots of cores for certain tasks like light baking
    * A good amount of RAM to avoid hitting virtual memory
    * A video card fast enough to play an unoptimized version of your game at the same time as rendering the scene view

So your SSD is probably fine even if a bit small, your 6 core CPU is good, your RAM is on the low side today, your GPU is probably fine.

angrypenguin likes this.
  13. Ony

Ony

Building your own is definitely the way to go if you're so inclined (I build all of ours) but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's "super easy", for someone who has never done it. It's rewarding and fun and saves money, but yeah not everyone is comfortable doing it. I recommend https://pcpartpicker.com/ for anyone who is.

14. BrainchildArt

BrainchildArt

That's why I think it is easy. You have all these sites that can help you with building your own PC, you can even go to reddit or forums and ask questions. You can use sites like the one you mentioned that will do it for you, you can also go to https://www.cgdirector.com/ and ask this guy for a good build for game dev stuff (or whatever you do) and he will help you. I mean, it is easy, just "think" and don't do stupid mistakes. You can also use a manual (for your motherboard and PC case etc.) that will explain everything, they even include YT videos that show how to do "x" thing from the manual.

Ony likes this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Additionally Reddit has a community that is built entirely around building your own PC. If you create a thread with your needs you will generally get a few recommendations (created with PC Part Picker) within a day or so.

https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

Ony likes this.
  16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Note that playing games and making them have different requirements. On one hand you generally don't need a silky smooth framerate to develop a game, on the other hand you're likeley to be running it before it's optimised.

Joe-Censored, Ryiah and Ony like this.
  17. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Im not sure but I think OP meant making a game like witcher 3 rather than playing.

OP if that is what you meant, I really think you need to set more realistic goals because your PC wont be the limiting factor in making that type of game, but rather the fact that you dont have 100+ skilled veteran developers, and a multi million pound budget + 5-6 years of dev time. Your just never going to be able to make the witcher 3, and I doubt whatever size team you assemble will make a difference. Certainly your PC isnt what you want to worry about for making said game.

If you just wanted to play games, then as other users have mentioned perhaps better to ask in the subreddit dedicated to this sort of thing.

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, I know that's what they were referring to, but keep in mind like @angrypenguin mentioned the game won't be optimized for a good portion of its life. Getting smooth frame rates while you're developing isn't strictly necessary but it makes for an overall more enjoyable development experience.

Additionally Unity has announced that their GPU-based lightmapper will be ready around the time that Enlighten will be removed. A GPU-based lightmapper is almost entirely restricted by VRAM. An RTX 2070 (or 2060 SUPER) is the least expensive tier with 8GB VRAM.

Finally having an RTX 2070 means you can experience and play with raytracing. We already have an early preview from Unity for their implementation. By the time it's fully released in a year or two raytracing will have gained far more traction.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Hold my beer. I'm going to find and quote @Ony's beautiful post from a couple of days ago...

Bolded by me for emphasis.

In short, forget raytracing. Yeah, it looks great. But it won't make a poor game good, and it sure as heck won't make an unfinished game finished.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Ony and Ryiah like this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Sitting here eating dinner while reading the forums and fortunately for my monitor I wasn't mid-drink. I've been watching a tech reviewer lately with a Texan accent and everytime he says that phrase he makes it hilariously over accented and I just couldn't help but visualize the penguin from that movie saying it too.

That first sentence is the most important one in my opinion. Staying motivated is just as important as passion when it comes to learning game development and one thing that always motivated me was being able to play around with the latest and greatest tech that the AAA studios had.

Ony and angrypenguin like this.
  21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't even like beer.

Antypodish and Ony like this.
  22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure, playing around with it is fine. Thinking that it'll help you finish stuff is another matter.

I've said it before, so I'll keep it short. Not all work gets a project completed. Some work actually makes more work, therefore making your project less complete. So just make sure you're aware of what work is moving your project towards being "done" and keeping that as simple and straightforward as you can while meeting your goals. The playing around is for elsewhere.

Ony likes this.
  23. Ony

Ony

wait, what?

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  24. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

these are the requirements to run unity
    https://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements

so yes you can run unity. im running unity on a laptop with an i3 and 8gb ram, and a geforce gt520mx video card. its not the best, but its good enough for me. if you are a new hobbyist, then there is no way you are going to be working on anything like the witcher 3 or any other triple a game you can think of. start small and work up from there, by the time you are good enough to work on a game like that you should have no problem affording the best computer you can think of.