Search Unity

Discussion PBR setup in Unity?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Androids_Dream, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Androids_Dream

Androids_Dream

Hey all!

I'm an Unreal user and I'm coming over to Unity to create some VRchat worlds for fun.

I'm coming into Unity with an open mind, and excited to get familiar with the engine. I'm a 3d artist with a focus on environments and props, so I do not know C#, so I'm hoping I can get some work done and build out an environment without having to know any coding.

I've already run into some issues--I'm genuinely curious why Unity has decided to make their PBR materials different than current industry standard. Unity has been around a long time. Why not have a roughness channel? I understand the smoothness channel is basically a gloss channel or an inverse of roughness? But I can't seem to just invert and drop in a smoothness channel, it's grayed-out. Why not just have all the channels typically used in CG and in typical PBR fashion? Having to use a different workflow for roughness maps seems counter-intuitive. I'm going to go out and do some self learning here, but I wanted to hear from the Unity community their thoughts on material construction in Unity.

How can I come to love it as I have in Unreal? I'm sure I'm just missing something.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022