Search Unity

PBR is there a point if not Baking or using Enlighten GI PRO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vintage_Green, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Vintage_Green

Vintage_Green

I pretty much assume there is no point but I can always be wrong.

As far as I know you need to bake GI to actually utilize the functions PBR Materials have. I assume if you don't bake GI it's pretty much like any-other texture Material (no bounce) but with a bit more detail then standard arguably (depending on artist).

Basically my question is:

is there any point in using PBR if using a realtime Dungeon Generator and wont be able to bake GI?

Thank you all for your time and consideration in this matter.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. Vintage_Green

Vintage_Green

3. Ostwind

Ostwind

Wrong forum section

4. 3agle

3agle

PBR stands for Physically Based Rendering. It applies in all situations where you have lighting, baked or not. You maybe wouldn't want it in a toon shaded game, or something with a specific artistic style, but mostly it is a benefit. Along with Image Based Lighting (skybox lighting) and Unitys Reflection Probes it can help make a scene look much more professional.

The best way to see is to try it yourself. Take a model for your game, make a PBR version, and compare. It's not a magic button, but it's an important feature that can bring a lot of visual fidelity to a game relatively easily (not to undermine the process, it is complex, moreso than just slapping a diffuse texture and normal map on a surface and being done).

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

GI is only used for static objects.

PBR is not the same as GI. You can have a real time reflection probe, for example, in a generated dungeon that is used by PBR materials.

The GI process is quite heavy, and is something you want to do before you ship your game. Not sure if it would be feasible to get GI in a dynamically generated level, even it if were possible, due to the bake times involved.

Dreamaster likes this.
  6. Martin_H

Martin_H

Afaik currently this is not really an option, but it has been mentioned as a possibility for the future. There might be post effects on the asset store that simulate a bit of bouncelight in an SSAO effect.

7. Vintage_Green

Vintage_Green

sorry for future reference where would an issue of this matter be most welcome?

Edit

Just noticed it was moved thanks for the help on this PBR topic.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I moved it into Discussion (Not sure if you posted before I moved it)

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

The solution is real time GI like Crysis engine, so there is no baking times anymore.

10. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

That's neat! Didn't know they had that. I wonder what the performance is like though compared to baked GI.

11. zenGarden

zenGarden

There is nothing official but Unity i think is working on it.
    Cryengine has it from lot of years and Unreal 4 devs are already proposing and experimental real time GI using LPV, it's better than nothing and some experimented users are also trying other real time GI systems.

But baked GI would stay faster and good for many game cases that are not using small levels.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Or just about 99.9% of console titles. Performance isn't infinite.

zenGarden likes this.
  13. zenGarden

zenGarden

Crysis 3 on consoles or Ryze using Cry engine, this is real time GI.
    But yes majority of consoles is not real time GI as this asks lot more processing power than baked methods and it you can save power for other things to manage.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's an approximation of realtime GI that is grotesquely simplified and specifically optimised for that particular game. Same as any cryengine game on consoles. You aren't getting the GI you think you are :p

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

I know but it is better than nothing or shadows only , and there is no baking times, usefull for large open worlds where baking turns into a nightmare or incredibly long times.
    Some big games used grid of lightening/reflection probes generated and storing light values, it was very fast baking probes light values while delivering good result on big outdoor levels.

Deferred Normalized Irradiance Probes example :
    https://bartwronski.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/ac4_gdc.pdf
    This would be great if Unity would have such technique for big outdoors.

A better article :
    https://bartwronski.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/assassin_s-creed-4-digital-dragons-2014-no_notes.pdf

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  16. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Just want to point out, all the available real-time GI with no pre-bake solutions out there look and perform much worse than enlighten.

And PBS/PBR and GI are different things.

hippocoder and SunnySunshine like this.
  17. zenGarden

zenGarden

Crysis 3 looks amazing specially for such big world levels. Baking would take you days for common people having only one PC.
    It is a choice baked with incredibly long times , so no quick feedback on game lightening or real time and direct feedback on lightening. I bet lot more in real time lightening approximative solutions.

18. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes, bakes are long, but performance and quality is better.

It's a trade off.