Search Unity

"Pay to Own" with Unity Pro subscription: do i have to commit to the 24 month at once, beforehand ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spacefrog, Aug 16, 2017.

1. spacefrog

spacefrog

I got a question about the Pro subscription perk of "Pay to own". Yes - i already sent an email to sales, but they never answered or wrote back. So i ask them here again:

Please can some of the Unity staff answer those simple YES/NO questions ?
    Pay-to-own is essentially the Plus vs. Pro decision point for me So here are the questions:

* To take advantage of the "Pay to own" feature, you have to have a pro subscription running for the last consecutive 24 months - correct ?
    * I can commit to 12 months of Pro subscription, after those 12 months directly commit the next 12 months of pro subscription, and this still qualifies me to receive the pay-to-own benefit. Correct ?
    * Previous question means: i DO NOT HAVE TO COMMIT TO 24 Months of pro subscription BEFOREHAND. Correct ?

Please, please for the sake of clarity, some qualified Unity staff answer those questions for me

Thanks ...

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You only need to commit 12 months. You can then stay on month by month for the next 12.

Ryiah likes this.
  3. FMark92

FMark92

Yeah it's like an abusive marriage. Just roll with it.

4. spacefrog

spacefrog

Thanks guys for your posts ...
    Would have been nice to read something official, but i guess i'll bite the bullet anyway

5. orb

orb

6. spacefrog

spacefrog

Yes, i've read that FAQ already, but it only talks about "24 consecutive months"
    For me this FAQ still does'nt make it very clear wether you have to commit to those "consecutive 24 months" at once, or do like the previous posters suggested ( and which i tend to believe too )..
    Maybe this comes because i'm no native english speaker, but i think it would help if this point ( about not having to commit 24 months beforehand ) would be mentioned clearly in the FAQ itself

Martin_H likes this.
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The FAQ is fairly obvious. Read 'Will my subscription automatically renew'. The 12 month commitment period is only for new subscriptions. After that there is only flexible month to month.

There is no option to commit up front for 24 months. Nor is there an option to commit for 12 months, then another 12 months.

softrare likes this.
  8. spacefrog

spacefrog

Ahh - okay , thanks for explaining those subscription details. Knowing the commit limitations after 1yr clears the thing up for me

thx again, all

9. Lu4e

Lu4e

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

For official statements just refer to the licenses.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

First hightlighted part refers to the initial subscription being a 12 month commitment followed by renewal on a per-month basis. Second highlighted part refers to the 24 month consecutive to achieve "Pay to Own". It's literally the only part of the licenses to refer to 24 months and "pay to own".

Term.png

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    spacefrog likes this.
  11. Lu4e

Lu4e

Thank you for reminding the Term.

Looks like the “Pay to Own” applies to any subscription, including Plus.
    The then-current version, implies we can keep the customizable splash screen as well.

If that interpret right, would resolve the question.

12. spacefrog

spacefrog

Ahh - indeed thanks for the link to the exact text.
    Started to worry, as i did'nt find anything about "pay to own" any longer in the whole legal text ....

13. Lu4e

Lu4e

Just did a google search, and find this news from reddit.
    At least Unity didn't cheat on us:)

14. sledgeman

sledgeman

A question that pops up to me is: If i do a subscrition for 12 month, i can use plus / pro from now on with the Unity 2018 and next year the Unity 2019. But am i able to take a much older Unity versions ? Like Unity 4.7 Pro / Unity 5.6 ?

15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I don’t believe so. If I recall, you access to all the versions of unity using the subscription plan. 2017 forward.

16. spacefrog

spacefrog

i think zombiegorilla is right:
    You have to had a legacy perpetual license to be able to use the older versions. Gladly i do so, but if you only started with the 2017-ish license scheme you are out of luck...

17. sledgeman

sledgeman

Really ? Hm, this is strange. Because they offer older versions / patches to download. And what if you rely on an older version and you just want to upgrade to a pro version. This would be impossible? I have no idea which sense it makes to force users to use "only" the newest version? Is there any way to buy an older version of Unity Pro ?

18. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Those older versions are no longer supported. Pro features of those are now available in all versions of newer releases. As far as I know, they don’t sell pro licenses that far back. You can always contact support, but there was about a 2 year transition period to the new system, if you didn’t address it back then, it’s unlikely that they will be too accommodating today.

19. sledgeman

sledgeman

Maybe your are right and its not possible to go that far back. I just got the feeling that the new versions get more and more "bulky". U2018 produces to heavy mobile files. And also they are not runing well on older devices. "72kb core" is only a 2d thing. Who knows if we ever get small files sizes for webGL / mobiles. The smallest and good performant mobile publishings i get with < u2017

20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

They're available to download for the sake of people who bought those licenses back when they were on sale.

Kiwasi likes this.
  21. spacefrog

spacefrog

I think it's mainly tied to the serial number: If you got a license ( = serial number) back from that time and Unity V5.xx version, i assume of course that it still would be valid and enable the license on those old Unity versions
    If you bought your license later ( for 2017 ) i don't think that it would be valid for the old pre-2017 versions
    The whole licensing tech is different too, AFAIK the old one use PACE, the new i think is something developed by unity

22. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I forgot to renew so had to buy one month for the higher rate, but next month i get a new 12 month subscription

23. sledgeman

sledgeman

What I would like to have from Unity Tech is:
    - if you buy an actual license, to get the freedom to decide by yourself which version of Unity you would like to use
    or
    - offering special prices for these older Unity versions (even if they would not be supported with updates, etc)

I don´t see any negative side effects from this ! I see more benefits for Unity Tech !