Search Unity

Pavilion

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Henrik-Flink, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

Hey guys,

We've been working on this game called Pavilion made in Unity with the help of 2Dtoolkit, so I thought I share some stuff on it.

It's kind of an exploratory puzzle game where you don't directly have control over the main character, but instead you manipulate the environment in different ways to guide him to a desired target. The game is then set in a surreal, dream-like world inspired by 19th-century landscape paintings, which you and the main character together journeys through.

There's some more info on our sparse homepage http://inthepavilion.com

Here's a teaser video we made last year:
    https://vimeo.com/51218114

Vine videos:
    Repin on the run
    Slide Away

And some screenshots:

We're still pretty early in development so we thought we could post some WIP as development progress and hope to get some good feedback. We would also like to highlight Unikron Softwares 2dtoolkit a superb extension of Unity to make 2d games with, that certainly made our lives easier.

So if you have any questions or feedback please post them here or mail me on henrik ( at ) visiontrick.com

Until next time, take care.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    sowatnow and ADNCG like this.
  2. BuzayneGames

BuzayneGames

Wow!!

The artwork is amazing....

Will be keeping an eye on this one.

3. rAllenG

rAllenG

I love the art work. Good job!

4. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

5. Music-Vortex

Music-Vortex

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  6. impheris

impheris

looks very nice, i love the art, and this is gone to bookmarks :D

7. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

Absolutely gorgeous. My first thought when I saw the screens was this fellow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspar_David_Friedrich) so you've obviously truly captured that romantic landscape feel! How are you making this environment? Is it 2d images on planes or 3d models? The gameplay looks quite innovative as well - hopefully you're onto a winner! Good luck!

8. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

Yes, Escher is both beautiful and weird, would fit perfectly in a surreal game world, so we definitely gonna check out more Escher paintings. And we actually had a test level with a puzzle based on "Escher perspective" before, not quite sure if we gonna use it in the final game thou.

Thanks allot!

You're on the right track mister, our two main inspirations for the art style is Caspar David Friedrich and Arnold Böcklin, both really good stuff!

It's all 2D images on planes, and then we have isometric tile grid that the character use for pathfinding and stuff. We actually put together some images a while ago that explaining how the art is made.

Our plan with the gameplay was to try to offer something different, something where the player is less powerful and have either cooperate or trick the main character intro whatever the player wants to do. So we're also putting allot of effort into the gameplay and not only on the art even if it's a big part of the games personality.

And you can all follow us on twitter https://twitter.com/TheVisiontrick for more day to day updates if you feel like it. :)

Thanks everyone!

9. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

Here's some concept images I dug up that might convey the feeling and atmosphere that we're going for pretty well.

10. rAllenG

rAllenG

nice.

11. ogier

ogier

what an atmosphere! this is really beautiful ...

But I think the teaser does not give the same atmosphere as the graphics and it is not of the same quality. I think it is important for you to be very careful about this. Many people are attracted by the teasers ...

12. cupsster

cupsster

Your art is great!

13. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

Thank you guys!

Thanks for the feedback, could you elaborate a bit more about the differences?

14. ogier

ogier

In the first place a detail..
    The first movement of camera goes from right to left.. compared with our direction of reading, would be better the opposite. In this way, you lead the spectator towards something. At present you break the dynamics of discovery.

For the rest:
    The graphics are smooth and subtle with an antique look. This graphic is very clear and gives the impression of a dashboard alien ship :)

This graphic is very clear and gives the impression of a dashboard alien ship :)

Here, I find that the whole is very rough. Too much overlap.
    We discover the first visuals of the game but they are not highlighted.
    You play with a very beautiful isometric depth and with movements of camera soft for the pictures of the game. The elements of foregrounds are congealed, not worked enough and badly organized in my opinion. It breaks the atmosphere.

There is a more complete graphic research to be made to integrate these elements while leaving the strength of the pictures of the game.

(Saddened for my approximate English)

Ogier

15. stridervan

stridervan

your art-style inspires me, very unique :)

16. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

Thanks, all your kind comments is inspiring for us!

Thanks for your thoughts on the trailer, we totally agree that there's problems with the things you've just mentioned and it's definitely something we will look into and put more thought into any upcoming video footage. Thanks again!

17. Vallar

Vallar

Wow, the screenshots are gorgeous, the art style... is absolutely fantastic. It did remind me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque specially the last few screenshots with the statues that you posted. I like the details you have put through and the uniformity of the aesthetic.

The idea is quite intriguing; you don't play as the player but as an "overseer" as I understand it, it is like telling the main character the story (at least that is how I understood it).

Looking forward for more updates and hopefully a demo ;P. Good luck!

18. ogier

ogier

With pleasure, your work is so beautiful it deserves to be highlighted!
    Good luck for the future!

19. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

Thanks again, we'll do our best!

Thanks! Baroque style is definitely an inspiration, we actually visited the Swedish royal palace in Stockholm last December, which is in baroque style. Some of the rooms were really beautiful and inspiring, so I can recommend anyone to visit if you're in Stockholm some time.

Hehe you're on to something there, but I wont spoil too much about it, except that you're not the main character but still you are someone or something...

20. JoeVoxel

JoeVoxel

Very interesting work and concept. The style and artwork are original. A real indie game.

21. Vallar

Vallar

That is pretty nice actually that you went that far to get references and inspiration; it is really evident in your work. Well done!

I am? Right, now you will keep me thinking!

22. Music-Vortex

Music-Vortex

I'll be in Stockholm next month, I'll definitely visit the palace ;)

I'm curious how are you planning to integrate music and sound with your concept. You have very clear sources of inspiration for the visual style, what about music, is it also 19th century inspired? If that's the case I could imagine something influenced by E. Satie or Ravel could contribute to the overall feeling you're going for.

Keep it up! :)

José

PS. I hope you include that "Escher perspective" puzzle!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  23. Henrik-Flink

Henrik-Flink

Hi guys!

Sorry for not posting any updates lately. We've been hard working on the game but also updating our homepage and recording some new video footage from our demo we made last year.

So here's the updates:

Hope you enjoy this updates and we hope to deliver updates more frequently from now on. If you have any feedback post it here or send me an email at henrik ( at ) visiontrick.com

Take care!

24. GeneBox

GeneBox

This is quite something!

25. henrik_flink

henrik_flink

It's been a long time coming, 4 years to be exact, but yesterday we finally released the game on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/417150
    And we're really happy that we stuck with Unity from the beginning, it has made our lives way easier on a lot of points during development. Anyhow we really appreciate anyone checking out the game and sharing it with anyone who might be interested in the game!

ADNCG and _M_S_D_ like this.
  26. salex100m

salex100m

That art looks fantastic